#21 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:00 PM

So you know a Thomas Steuer? That email isnt part of the scam either!?

IM47Gcv.jpg

#22 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hmmm well hes not on my CS address book and I have never heard of him but that doesn't mean anything... i will find out if he exists hehe

#23 GladMax5

GladMax5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:32 AM

Hello fellow subie lovers, I'm new to this forum but love subies and also spotted the ad from Daniel Dorane on carsales.com.au. You may find this helpful. I am trying to authenticate the email from carsales from: "Thomas Steuer Legal Compliance Team Carsales Network" ebay buyer/seller protection in Australia has ceased operating as of 22nd November 2009.From eBay Australia: "Please Note: As of 11:59:59 PM November 22nd, 2009 (AEDST) the Vehicle Purchase Protection (VPP) program will no longer be offered on eBay.com.au. Vehicles purchased after this date will not be covered by VPP." Check the eBay link (official(non-phished)): http://cars2.ebay.co...hase_Protection Also note in the eBay details: "The seller must be in Australia Fraudulent sellers are often located in foreign countries and they will tell you they've recently moved overseas or are on holiday. If the seller is not physically located in Australia the car isn't eligible for Vehicle Purchase Protection. We advise you not to proceed with the purchase". Will let you know what I find out. Glad I found this topic on your website! Cheers Anthony

#24 GladMax5

GladMax5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:20 AM

I think the eBay link provided by daniel Dorane is suspect. There are no hotlinks to all the highlighted words on this HTML page that you are directed to. It will highlight "sign in" but no highlight for "register". Also I noticed odd formatting colour patterns on far top left of this link from Daniel Dorane. "User Agreement" and "contact us" at bottom of this page don't highlight. Also odd spelling mistakes. Be careful...you could send your eBay username and passowrd to a fake site! I will try to contact eBay and carsales about this. cheers Anthony Sydney

#25 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:20 AM

Good stuff Anthony. That is really helpful. Thugh i figured it was still a fake and.i jave not contacted him since!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#26 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

hmm its no longer for sale Check yo PM MOFO!! ....

#27 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hope no one fell for any of his crap Perhaps its time to have some fun with him now?!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#28 GladMax5

GladMax5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

I think Daniel wants you to lock in 10 Gs first before he plays. said he's working for SEAT in Madrid. I'd like his supervisor's number.

#29 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:27 AM

Bloody hell. What a scam. Nice work on that guys, I feel a SubyClub private investigators squad coming on !

#30 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

:D For future reference. 1. There have been no retractions of scam warnings by carsales. 2. No Thomas Steuer works for Carsales. 3. The department within carsales who send out the warnings etc are not this 'legal team'. I won't publish the department name as it would give the scammers another thing to add to their e-mails to make it look a little more legit.

#31 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

Wow so that Thomas guy from Legal was not actually from CarSales :o Morgan - what did Thomas's email address end in? Is it an @CarSales address or something else? Very crafty these scammers are...shame.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#32 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

Very crafty indeed.

I got an email from this email address: customersupport@carsales.com.au
With this email:

BUYER ALERT

Dear Carsales Network Customer,

Removed or Suspended Advertisement

You recently sent an enquiry on the following item:

AD ID Number: 8261632

Description: 2002 Subaru Outback D/RANGE AWD 3GEN MY02

Price: $10000

Please be aware that this advertisement has been suspended or withdrawn from display on the Carsales Network (this includes Carsales.com.au, Carpoint.com.au and our member websites).

We withdraw or suspend advertisements if we consider that the advertisement may:

• be illegal or fraudulent;
  • infringe the intellectual property rights of a person; or
  • otherwise be in breach of our Advertising Terms and Conditions.
An advertisement may also be suspended if we consider that the advertisement has been accessed or modified by an unauthorised person.

We take this opportunity to remind you that you are solely responsible for your dealings with any seller and urge you to buy responsibly.

Visit www.scamwatch.gov.au for information on learning how to recognise, report and protect yourself from scams. You can also check out the Play It Safer Online section on our website for tips on safe and responsible buying.

Please do not hesitate to Contact us for further assistance.

Regards,

Consumer Services Team

A few days later, this email address: customersupport@carsales.com.au
Sent this email:

Dear Carsales Network Customer

Our records show that you have recently been in contact with the seller of a 2002 SUBARU OUTBACK WAGON, AD ID Number: 8261632 price: $10000.

We have been in contact with the seller of this vehicle, Daniel Dorane - dan_dorane@hotmail.com, which was able to provide us all the documents of the vehicle. Our staff has verified both seller and vehicle and we wish to inform you that this is a genuine sale.

We at the CarSales Network want to apologise for any inconvenience created.

Kind regards

Thomas Steuer
Legal Compliance Team
Carsales Network

Maybe its just me but the email addresses look indentical?

IM47Gcv.jpg

#33 GladMax5

GladMax5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

Yes Morgan I got those two emails that claimed to be from carsales.com.au. Thanks B4tt for checking up on them. Shame we couldnt have more fun with this scam-guy. I also got this confirmation from eBay regarding the ebay link for buyer protection: ["Thank you for writing to eBay. I'm Debra and I appreciate the chance to assist you regarding an email you received. I've reviewed the link and I can confirm that the link is not a legitimate eBay Australia site. It is a fake (or phishing) web site. ... If you are ever concerned about an email you receive from eBay or through the email forwarding system, open a new Web browser, type www.ebay.com into your browser address field to go directly to the eBay site. Sign into your account and check My Messages in your my eBay. If you get an email to your registered eBay email address that looks like it's from eBay about a problem with your account or requesting personal information, check My Messages first. Also, only emails from registered members will be sent to your My Messages. If it's not there, it's a fake email. Again, thank you for your report. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have further questions or concerns. Regards, Debra C. Trust & Safety Team Original Message Follows: ------------------------ Message: I was asked by a person selling a car to use this link to arrange a car sale (AUD$10,000) through eBay buyer protection: http://members.ebay....userid=luc.0490 Is this link an authentic eBay.com (eBay.com.au) page or not? thank you ] cheers Anthony

#34 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

Cheers for checking on that Anthony. ...and who says im not having fun with this guy?! haha Ive been exchanging emails with him every now and again. I do actually have close family friends who live in Townsville where the supposed car for sale is so i have asked if they can view the vehicle on my behalf! :P

IM47Gcv.jpg

#35 GladMax5

GladMax5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

Morgan, glad you are keeping this scamguy busy. If this car had of been a genuine sale seems like you would have beat me to it! If you get any funny emails from him post them for us to see. cheers and safe shopping Anthony

#36 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

Guys, even though an email address may appear to be legit, it is one of the easiest things to forge when sending emails. I would suggest that for all emails from carsales / ebay etc.. that you don't actually CLICK on any of the links themselves, and instead manually type the address in and navigate to what you are after through the site itself. It's much safer and means that you are less likely to fall victim to some of these things. They are definitely getting harder to spot and even to the trained eye they do take a bit of time to work out. Glad to hear you have gotten to the bottom of this issue and no one is out of pocket ! Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users