#1 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

After doing 2500kms and owning the car for 2 weeks, i have come across a few issues with the OBK that i thought id get some input.
Fortunately, i bought the car from a dealer so repairs should come under warranty.

Firstly, after not driving for a little while, it takes ages to start up. (eg. in the mornings, or after work)
Perhaps error code 12 could be the issue (starter signal?)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOyFVWJ8Q10&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded[/url]

It also seems to have a rough idle. Took this vid but not the best sound qual so might be hard to hear... (error 24?)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6dGYqFBsXs&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded[/url]

Small squeak when depressing clutch? DMF issue? Should i ask if it can be replaced with something different?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGk8ucN8SzE&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded[/url]

And the violent shuddering under acceleration.
On a warm engine, i put my foot down in any gear and it shudders/surges/looses power/knocks/splutters everywhere.
Tried to take some video of this but its hard to get the idea! Sitting in the car it was quite violent and i thought it would of turned out better than it did. Ah well. Hopefully you get an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbdXYENr9Qo&feature=player_embedded

Then there is the knocking sound coming from my footwell - behind the firewall?
It usually happens immediately after taking my foot off the throttle, or when changing down gears but also seems to happen when braking now?
Cant seem to get clear audio of this but can be sort of heard in the previous vid

So i have emailed the dealer whom i bought it off and will hopefully get a reply tomorrow.
I think ill ask to have the following changed;
-Spark plugs
-Spark leads
-Fuel filter
-Knock sensor
-O2 sensor [maybe]
-DMF looked at?
Hopefully knock sensor will fix rough idle, etc.

What do you people think?
For reference, ive already checked for error codes and i got; 12, 24 & 53. Funnily enough, 22 or 28 didnt come up (knock sensor) but that seems to be the most probable issue im getting??
I shall keep you updated and hopefully this will help others with similar problems in the future...

IM47Gcv.jpg

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:57 AM

Morgs, The shudder/ idle may be an ignition fault. Plugs and leads will not give a code but faulty coils might. From the description, it sounds like a missfire. Could be excessive resistence in the leads or a faulty coil. A fuel issue would normally cause surging (lean mixture. Rich mixture normally drives OK) but ignion causes a shudder. Our GenIII clutch groans from the flywheel and squeaks from the pedal. Apparantly a GenII solid flywheel (comfirm) fits and use an Excedy clutch when the time comes. Dont leave the missfire too long as raw fuel down the exhaust will ruin the cat.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:20 AM

If the miss fire was from a lead, I would expect it to happen when cruising too (well, that is certainly what happened with my car)

Stuff goes here

#4 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

If the miss fire was from a lead, I would expect it to happen when cruising too (well, that is certainly what happened with my car)

Not necessarily, it can only become a problem when the load increases. I've had bad coils before and they were fine on cruising, but as soon as the load increased it would start miss-firing.

#5 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

Morgs, sorry to hear you're having some issues with the car! That clutch squeak isn't related to the DMF fault, my gen3 clutch used to squeak like that all the time. Subaru would lube it up whenever I had a service and it would go away for a while. Nothing to be concerned about. Your DMF can absolutely be replaced with a Gen2 solid flywheel and clutch kit. It was one of the best change overs I ever did on the Gen3. As Jason mentioned, the Exedy clutch kit will do the job well also... Given it doesn't look as though you are having clutch problems, I'd put a flywheel and clutch conversion on the to do list, but not on the repairs list for your current problems. The startup issue might be a lazy fuel pump or dirty filters. Try leaving your ignition in th "On" position for a bit longer. This might prime the pump a bit more and let it turn over more quickly... Plugs might also be fouled??

#6 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Thanks guys.
Still waiting for a response from the mob i bought it off for the go-ahead to hand it over to the local suby dealer.
Ill mention all this and hopefully get it all done at once.

So the DMF isnt something i should worry about yet? Or should i, if im able to get it done under warantee?
EDIT: Ninja'd by Chris - cheers mate.

Morgs, sorry to hear you're having some issues with the car!

Yea it is a major pain in the ass but kind of a good thing it is happening now so warranty will cover it :)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#7 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

You'll know if there is an issue with the DMF. If you build revs up to about 3000 rpm and then dump the clutch, it will make a horrible "squarking" noise... It will also be evident if you are gearing down from 2nd, into 1st and then go hard on the throtle during clutch play.

#8 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

Yeah the clutch squeek is just a noisy pedal assy, get the silicon spray out and give the hill holder a spray to make sure thats smooth and then some grease around the pedal assy should stop that. the Knocking from under the car... drive over a matteress lately :P gearbox mount bushes maybe?
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#9 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

Dropped it off this morning at the local suby dealer. Should get it back this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest :)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#10 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

Nice, let us know what it was,. at a guess sounds like plugs/leads or possibly dirty injectors (that can cause hard starting). hopefully they sort it all out for you man :D

#11 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

are you running premium unleaded in it? that's how my Gen3 RX used to start after a few tanks of premium. changing brands of premium would improve it for a few starts and then it'd be like that again. running it on regular unleaded it was fine. never did figure out why - and i remember reading about others with the same 'issue' online.

#12 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

Dropped it off this morning at the local suby dealer.

$$$$$$$$$

#13 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:52 AM

I will be sure to post up the details. Im hoping its nothing to drastic! I do use Premuim. Didnt think that would affect ignition? One of the error codes i got was 12 (mentioned somewhere above) which is starter signal. Not sure if its fuel related. I know that im getting sweet economy though! Best tank was 8.6L/100kms :) Yea Jase, I would never take it to the dealer on my own accord. I will be getting reimbursed through the dealer warranty so im happy to leave it with them!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#14 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

Yea Jase, I would never take it to the dealer on my own accord. I will be getting reimbursed through the dealer warantee so im happy to leave it with them!

Cool

#15 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

I do use Premuim. Didnt think that would affect ignition? One of the error codes i got was 12 (mentioned somewhere above) which is starter signal. Not sure if its fuel related. I know that im getting sweet economy though! Best tank was 8.6L/100kms :)

Same with my Gen3 RX. Cold starts would take lots of cranking and it'd splutter into life. Mine would run fine otherwise, so I think you probably have some other ignition related problems.

My economy was fantastic - low 9's city driving. Economy was worse on regular unleaded (high 9's/low 10's) but it started fine every time, so i just stuck with that in the end. There seemed to be no noticeable difference in performance either way.

#16 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

Fair enough If the problem persists, i will definitely give that a go. Cheers for the tip

IM47Gcv.jpg

#17 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:50 AM

Thank God its under warranty!!!

Got a call back from the local dealer.
I cant even remember all the problems they found.
Some include:
-Ignition leads burnt onto coils
-Spark plugs damaged somehow?
-Seals and bearings or something?
-Air filter is completely black

All up, $1225 worth of parts NOT INCLUDING LABOUR!!!!!!
Holy moly!
It is all going ahead though under warranty.

There are a few minor oil leaks but they will be fixed at a later date but still under the warranty.
Ill post up a full list of details when i get them!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#18 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

Morgsy did you inspect this car prior to buying it? Posted Image
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#19 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

Morgsy did you inspect this car prior to buying it? Posted Image

ouch doesnt sound like it.

dealer warranty will only cover so much. did you check if they are covering the whole charge? as there is usually a limit depending on what part of the car need repairs.

MY07 GT spec B

#20 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

Yeh they'll only cover so much... When I bought my car, it was less than 10-yrs old so it had the statutory 3-month/5000kms warranty and the warranty claims I made totalled about $600 which I believe was just under what they would've covered. Either way, at least you know what the hell is wrong with the car. Some problems just disguise themselves and leave even the mechanics scratching their heads...

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users