25 replies to this topic

#21 smythie

smythie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Cars, bikes, motor racing, athletics

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

^But Tony, surely they'd have some computer-related technology that gives a precise reading of the time? When I drive over those white markings, I can feel there is something under it (wires, sensors?). Presumably that can be linked to equipment in the plane. 

The article doesn't go into specifics but I would hope it'll be more precise than a Highway Patrol officer sitting in a plane with a stop watch round his neck going "one potato, two potato, three potato..."  :sarcastic:

For the sake of the infringement notices holding up in court you'd think they would be using something a bit more reliable and accurate. Like you say, the document doesn't go into details, just mentions a "timing system"

As for something being under the paint markings, don't forget that the paint markings themselves will have a thickness on top of the surface. I might just have to wander out that way one night....

#22 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:21 AM

Apparently only 16-motorists have been caught by this plane...

A POLICE speed plane touted as being a key weapon in fighting the road toll has caught just 16 speeding motorists in more than four months.

Bad weather, airspace restrictions and visibility problems have hampered its flyovers of major roads, documents obtained under Freedom of Information laws reveal.

The documents include emails that reveal senior police and the force's media unit are obsessed with spin when it comes to the road toll. NSW Police announced in December it was launching a Cessna 206H plane to monitor drivers on the Hume Highway at Marulan, the M4 and the F3.

The plane was to check the time it took for vehicles to travel between two points, thus gauging their speed.

But by March a quarter of patrols had been cancelled due to bad weather. Police delayed telling the public about plans to use aircraft patrols for weeks because Police Minister Michael Daley's office wanted to wait to "wheel it out in the media" until it was flying, an email from police media revealed.

Documents released to the Opposition under Freedom of Information show weather at the Hume Highway around the Marulan speed check was chronically bad.

On one patrol, police only made it from Bankstown airport to Ingleburn before weather forced them back.

"The weather in the Bowral area is a limiting factor, with the elevation of 2200ft [670m] meaning cloud is often on the ground until mid-morning," a senior police officer wrote.

Consideration of a patrol site on the M4 was in doubt due to "flight restrictions and residential housing".

None of the sites identified by crash data on the F3 could be used because of "trees and obstacles on the roadway", an email from a senior policeman in February revealed.

Another senior officer, on January 12 after a series of truck crashes, suggested the plane be used in known traffic hotspots for intelligence-driven operations.

Police said the aircraft had flown 94 hours and completed 1588 speed checks.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#23 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:54 AM

The article doesn't go into specifics but I would hope it'll be more precise than a Highway Patrol officer sitting in a plane with a stop watch round his neck going "one potato, two potato, three potato..." :sarcastic:

I thought Alex was a nurse or something :P

They have bee doing this in Vic for ages, not sure of the specifics but they do it on the Surfcoast Hwy down to Torquay and a few different routes down the east side of the bay also.

The lines are slightly raised but i dont think there is anything under them, i thought they used a radar to detect when the line was hit and then again when the next line was hit and that gave the time between.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#24 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

Hahaha what a bloody joke. Complete and utter waste of time and money! A 50 hourly inspection costs roughly $5-$6k which is a normal service in car terms. It would be in atleast twice a month. Bunch of old procrastinating dickshits.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#25 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

Hi, Approved HWP officers that have completed the speed check course can judge your speed and have it held up in court by eye, using standard measures of roadside or road painted lines. In Perth, they use the lights that are on the side of the freeway. Load of cock. Cheers, Nik

#26 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

Hi,

cock.

Cheers,
Nik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users