21 replies to this topic

#1 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

Was just thinking with the growing number of users and the site gaining more exposure maybe we need to start forming some basic rules for the site.
If there are some posted i appologize, i had a quick search but didn't really find anything.

Nothing crazy tight arse like "that other site" but just to keep the forums clean.

i was thinking along the lines of...

Signature filesize and dimensions... cause i mean This is kinda over the top.
remember alot of us use the site on mobile devices and it just makes browsing painfull.

Not quoting multiple images in replies - we dont need to see Nik's images posted multiple times over a few pages :P even if it is pure car Pr0n

Language... keep the swearing to the general thread.

like i said nothing over the top.. and maybe not even enforced rules as such but more so some general forum courtesy.

With more and more mobile devices being used to browse the net we need to keep things accessible, i dont know about others but when i jump on my phone to check a DIY while im working on the car or maybe just to kill some time while waiting somewhere it shits me when i have to scroll all over the place or the pages load like im on 56k cause of multiple images posted over again and things like that.

Thoughts?
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Sounds fine to me. Esp. the file size bit. ;)

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

I forking agree 100 forking percent.

#4 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

signatures i agree should be restricted to a decent size. this makes sense as a general rule and one that you see adopted by many other online forums. i don't think you should be able to tell people the format in which they can post replies in or to quote or not to quote. It's a public discussion and information forum not twitter. If posted picture sizes are an issue i guess something like what they do on ozliberty with the thumb nails showing in threads but you need to click on the image to open it up could be an option BUT. i find that method a pain in the ass as i like to see the image full size as i browse the thread, not have to click on every image to open it to view them throughout a topic. I like my pictures big and clear. I do use my mobile device occasionally to view this site but 99% of the time it's on my computer and imo any reduction to things like image size would generally reduce my general browsing experience on Suby Club. rule should stop things things like abusive, threatening or aggressive behavior/language. maybe non savor content or foul language as well but we're all adults here and i think can handle it. When i browse the site on my phone all the pictures are resized to fit the screen and it shows no signatures anyway. maybe check out your options/settings on your phone version on the site??

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#5 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:20 PM

I wrote to admin about the size of sigs. And it was suggested to turn off signatures which i did, personally i think pictures in sigs should be banned. who needs to see the same thing over and over again? Glad im not the only one who has noticed it, but ive had sigs turned off for aaaages!

Posted Image

#6 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

Yeah i guess I'm just being picky lol mainly the Signature thing is something we need to look at. I really dont like the way ozlib handles photo's, its just a pain in the arse and does not work well at all imo. the way in which photo's are linked to and displayed here works fine, its just when people post multiple photo's in one post and then people quote that post it's not needed really. I agree in that this is a public forum and you cant tell someone how they can post but most larger forums i have used mention this issue and its seen somewhat as more of a forum etiquette thing.

#7 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

Do we really need site rules if everything is running smoothly? If it ain't broke...

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#8 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

Do we really need site rules if everything is running smoothly? If it ain't broke...

Exactly Shivvy,

If it's gonna be anything like the last thread that tried to change the site (which moved the GT away) it will have a negative effect and make the site have less action.

Don't change it.

Ty, just PM whoever has a massive Sig and tell them to resize it. :)

#9 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

If it ain't broke...

B)

signature_1_35.jpg

#10 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

Hi,

If it's gonna be anything like the last thread that tried to change the site (which moved the GT away) it will have a negative effect and make the site have less action.

I think that's a harsh call Tom. Moving the GT to a section that doesn't show up on the front forum page was a step forward. Every new member here is interested in Subaru's first, and your stalking ability a distant second. Encouraging more discussion about Subaru's themselves seemed to work with that move. We all supported it then, and I support it now.

I have to agree about quoting images, it is a pet hate, I know I go overboard on posting car pictures in each post - maybe I should start limiting the amount of images I show?

Cheers,
Nik

#11 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

I know I go overboard on posting car pictures in each post - maybe I should start limiting the amount of images I show?

i guess there's an argument saying that maybe you do but on the other hand, as you pointed out earlier, it's a car forum. Although the post are large, they for me are one of the highlights of SC every day, getting to seeing all those exotic beauties posted up. It'd be a shame to get to a point where members are restricted from posting pics of car picks on a car forum.

if this is really an issue for people posting on mobile devices, maybe they should just be mindful not to check out the general thread unless using a computer as i doubt this issue carries onto to any other threads on this site.

As i said earlier, if for example Nik was to have the amount of car pics he posted limited, it would reduce from my SC experience not make it better

signature_1_35.jpg

#12 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

what he said.

#13 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

If it ain't broke...

I'm much of this opinion too. I agree on the huge signature images - if there are user(s) that you feel have an excessively large image, PM an admin and we will make it fixed.

Nik - don't you dare stop posting those car pictures.

:P

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#14 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

Nik, dont stop posting your images mate... i was just using your posts as an example of what people should refrain from quoting. Ams, sounds good mate. I guess this thread is over now.:flag_of_truce:

#15 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

Nik..... PLEASE do not stop/alter in anyway the amount of beautiful images you post.

#16 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

Hi, Appreciate the support guys! I will continue to bring you the best of the best exotic cars I can find on the net. Cheers, Nik

#17 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

Pics are resized to your computer that you are browsing the site on. There is an upgrade coming soon for the site., this has a better built in mobile theme, so that when you are browsing on a mobile device it will all be scaled and sized appropriately.

I will have a look in to further restrictions on the size of signatures, however I still believe this is personal preference - if you don't want to see the signatures, simply disable them through your account settings. There are also other settings there that you may discover to be quite useful, so check it out.

There are site rules that have been put in place already, it's good to see everyone has noticed them ;)

The link to them is next to the 'New Content' link up the top right hand side of your screens !

There are also rules that you MUST agree to when signing up to the site:

Forum Terms & Rules

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that SubyClub administration and the server maintainers / owners are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact SubyClub management and admins either via email or by using the 'Report Post' or 'Private Message' function on the board. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

You agree to indemnify the boards operators, moderators, and anybody else involved with the hosting, configuration, maintenance, and management of this board against any claim arising from anything to do with the content, function, or anything else relating to this board.

You agree that SubyClub administrators, moderators and owners have the right to remove any content posted by you at any time as well as remove, ban or suspend your user account should we feel that you are violating the above rules, or not positively contributing to the boards.

#18 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Oh shit.. Walts, Dylan might be onto you!

Dylan, you know i click that link about 100 times a day and i never really saw the Rules link lol

#19 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

People with over 3000 posts do not need to abide by the rules, I can stalk all I want. :D

#20 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

Hi, Let's have a beer! Cheers, Nik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users