• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hey Guys, Ive just bought myself a 2003 Subaru outback Gen3 fully stock with only 70,000km's on it. Manual version. Im new to SubyClub so any tips/pointers on mods and forums would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.... Cheers!

Mods so far:
- 18" XHP Jet Black Rims
- "Street Legal" Tint
- Xenon H7 Low beam headlights
- White H1 High beam lights
- 2.5" Sports Exhaust with Chrome tip
- Updated Gearknob (from a my10 forester)
- De-badged and replaced with Chrome badges

Im looking to lower it down to Liberty height (I was thinking replacing Outback suspension with Liberty, Not sure if you can but....)

Any tips and hints you guys can give me would be awesome
Thanks Guys

Sam

P.s. Before and after shots posted

Attached Files

[03.SUBY]

#2 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

welcome to SC mate! :)

Outback drivers are taking over!!

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#3 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

Welcome mate!

Great to get one with such low k's, enjoy her!

#4 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

Hi,

Welcome along. Outback drivers are just a smarter breed.

Cheers,
Nik

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

Welcome to Suby Club Sam.
:drinks:

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#6 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the welcoming!!
I plan to lower it but im not sure which way to go ie. adjust. coilovers, lowered springs and struts, and im even considering airbags...
I have just bought a set of SUBARU chrome badges from Autobarn, Ive put them on and they look crap so if anyone knows where to get the chrome ones like of a gen4 or newer that would be awesome (ive already gone to all the wreckers near my place).
I plan to colour code the bottom half of the Outback, or possibly even spray the whole thing a different colour.
And also upgrad the stereo to maybe a double din dvd with some nice component speakers and sub enclosure....
Let me know what you guys think and please tell me your ideas. Until I get off my P's next November its all show and Not a great deal of go...

Thanks guys

Attached Files

[03.SUBY]

#7 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hi, welcome :drinks:

#8 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:10 PM

Hi,

JapanParts should have the badges if I'm not mistaken?

Lower an Outback? Are you crazy!?

Cheers,
Nik

#9 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hi,

JapanParts should have the badges if I'm not mistaken?

Lower an Outback? Are you crazy!?

Cheers,
Nik

Whats wrong with lowering an Outback? I dont take it offroad and dont plan ot it and the only reason I bought it over a liberty or similar is because it was in such great condition. So I plan on lowering it
[03.SUBY]

#10 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

Hahaha

Niks is lowered and he DOES take it off road.

Only to do wikid helis. (in a responsible manner)

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#11 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

Hi,

You're crazy mate. Lowering an Outback defeats the entire purpose of buying a soft roading wagon. I'm sorry but that's just the way I feel.

Posted Image

:)

DO IT MATE! No reason to not go offroad either.

Cheers,
Nik

#12 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:04 PM

Hi,

You're crazy mate. Lowering an Outback defeats the entire purpose of buying a soft roading wagon. I'm sorry but that's just the way I feel.

Thats freakin awesome, I would like to have mine so that the wheel fits in the wheel arch neatly, not looking like it has landcruiser springs.....
What sort of suspension set up have you got? and costs???

Cheers mate

Posted Image

:)

DO IT MATE! No reason to not go offroad either.

Cheers,
Nik

[03.SUBY]

#13 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

Hi,

I bought some suspension from this forum, and installed by a friend. It is STi struts and springs from the same year Liberty wagon, as aforementioned I still live in the back blocks of butt fugg, so I definitely didn't want coilover suspension. I'm not sure on availability of similar gear for your gen, if MorganLuke doesn't see this thread soon maybe PM him, I know he was looking at Gen3 options.

I spent a fair bit south of a grand on my setup. Yours could quite possibly be cheaper being an older gen? Don't quote me though.

Cheers,
Nik

#14 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

Hi,

I bought some suspension from this forum, and installed by a friend. It is STi struts and springs from the same year Liberty wagon, as aforementioned I still live in the back blocks of butt fugg, so I definitely didn't want coilover suspension. I'm not sure on availability of similar gear for your gen, if MorganLuke doesn't see this thread soon maybe PM him, I know he was looking at Gen3 options.

I spent a fair bit south of a grand on my setup. Yours could quite possibly be cheaper being an older gen? Don't quote me though.

Cheers,
Nik

Sweet mate thanks for the advice. I will definately look into it!

Cheers
[03.SUBY]

#15 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

Nice outback! I will give a more detailed post later sometkme but right now im pooing and late for my game...now who feels better for knowing that?

Love

IM47Gcv.jpg

#16 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

Sweet mate thanks for the advice. I will definately look into it!

Cheers

Can you please put up some more pics of your outback, or if you already have, where do i go??

Thanks Mate
[03.SUBY]

#17 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

Congrats on the purchase Sam. Thats one low-mileage Outback! I just purchased one about 5-weeks ago and absolutely love the thing.

In regards to lowering it, my research tells me that you can use Bilsteins (off a Lib B4) with no problems at all. That'd be a good compromise so you don't need to crab sideways over speed bumps and annoy everyone behind you. Half of me would love to lower mine, and the other half would love to raise it with a lift kit just for the weekends. Ah choice...

Nice outback! I will give a more detailed post later sometkme but right now im pooing and late for my game...now who feels better for knowing that?

Love

Good luck Morgan!!

And best of luck with the game too mate :P

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#18 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hi,

This is the only other one I have at the moment mate;

Posted Image

Cheers,
Nik

#19 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

Thanks Shiv! Unfortunately we lost which means we're not in the grand final (that was the semis). I also badly twisted my leg & my knee cap popped out/back in again so im limping everywhere.

In regards to Outback mods, OP, i like what youve done so far, what you have in mind, and the attitude you have towards your car. Making it look awesome is about as good as we can get! Have a look at my thread here. Was on my P's when i bought it but have since got my full licence and contemplated buying a turbo but money is due in other places at the moment!

I have/had very similar ideas to you in regards to mods. I have put the Gen4 chrome badging on, different wheels (Gen4 series2 GT), headlights (4300k HIDs), gearknob (from a gen4/WRX) etc. Ive also got clear side indicators (off ebay) which clean up the side look heaps and a few other things but you can read my thread for all the details. My wedding is in 10 weeks so money is going towards that but after thats all happened ill be getting a double din HU (Pioneer AVH-P3250BT from www.ryda.com) + awesome speakers, tinted windows and a 22mm swaybar + endlinks, etc. Im sure once ive done all this there will be more things on the list but so far thats it.

I have already tried to go the cheap way and get a Chinese DVD HU (Eonon D2208) but it went horribly wrong. IMO, spend the money and get a decent one. The one im looking at is currently $750 and thats still a very low price for a 2din unit. Depends on what features you're wanting in it. Shiv has recently put an awesome unit it his OBK H6 with a TV & rear parking camera etc.

I have also put a gen3 sedan grille on to spice up the front end a bit. I reckon it looks alright even though its a bit slimmer than the OBK one.

Aaaand lowering it! I'd love to. Lowered OBKs are just so sexy as you can see from what Nik has to offer. 'Bobbyjimmy' (Luke) has slammed his 02 OBK and it looks awesome. There are some sort of raisers which give it a lift over the Liberty's but to get it to Liberty height, you need to remove/replace the x member or something...i dont get it all! One day ill take it down to Pedders and get a proper quote. Only thing im worried about it resale value. Most OBK drivers are ancient and wont want to buy one that lowered. Once again, after the wedding!
My only word of advice; coilovers, lowered springs/struts are the way to go - steer clear of bags!

Question for you - where do you live (Tom will thank me later!) Nah, i see you have NSW plates on. We have a monthly meet at Hooters Parramatta if you're a Sydney sider. Im on the Central Coast and sometimes get a crew together to make the trip down.

K im done

IM47Gcv.jpg

#20 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

Ssshhhhh Morgan, you talk too much.

:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users