Outbacks are awesome

IM47Gcv.jpg

#22 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Shiv! Unfortunately we lost which means we're not in the grand final (that was the semis). I also badly twisted my leg & my knee cap popped out/back in again so im limping everywhere.

In regards to Outback mods, OP, i like what youve done so far, what you have in mind, and the attitude you have towards your car. Making it look awesome is about as good as we can get! Have a look at my thread here. Was on my P's when i bought it but have since got my full licence and contemplated buying a turbo but money is due in other places at the moment!

I have/had very similar ideas to you in regards to mods. I have put the Gen4 chrome badging on, different wheels (Gen4 series2 GT), headlights (4300k HIDs), gearknob (from a gen4/WRX) etc. Ive also got clear side indicators (off ebay) which clean up the side look heaps and a few other things but you can read my thread for all the details. My wedding is in 10 weeks so money is going towards that but after thats all happened ill be getting a double din HU (Pioneer AVH-P3250BT from www.ryda.com) + awesome speakers, tinted windows and a 22mm swaybar + endlinks, etc. Im sure once ive done all this there will be more things on the list but so far thats it.

I have already tried to go the cheap way and get a Chinese DVD HU (Eonon D2208) but it went horribly wrong. IMO, spend the money and get a decent one. The one im looking at is currently $750 and thats still a very low price for a 2din unit. Depends on what features you're wanting in it. Shiv has recently put an awesome unit it his OBK H6 with a TV & rear parking camera etc.

I have also put a gen3 sedan grille on to spice up the front end a bit. I reckon it looks alright even though its a bit slimmer than the OBK one.

Aaaand lowering it! I'd love to. Lowered OBKs are just so sexy as you can see from what Nik has to offer. 'Bobbyjimmy' (Luke) has slammed his 02 OBK and it looks awesome. There are some sort of raisers which give it a lift over the Liberty's but to get it to Liberty height, you need to remove/replace the x member or something...i dont get it all! One day ill take it down to Pedders and get a proper quote. Only thing im worried about it resale value. Most OBK drivers are ancient and wont want to buy one that lowered. Once again, after the wedding!
My only word of advice; coilovers, lowered springs/struts are the way to go - steer clear of bags!

Question for you - where do you live (Tom will thank me later!) Nah, i see you have NSW plates on. We have a monthly meet at Hooters Parramatta if you're a Sydney sider. Im on the Central Coast and sometimes get a crew together to make the trip down.

K im done

Hey Morgan, I live in Coffs Harbour so not in the Sydney area, but if Im ever in the area ill come check it out! Sounds good. Do you have any other Subaru car meets that you go to?
I was looking into the Eanon DVD players on eBay not so long ago but i will steer clear of the cheap, crappy ones and go for something decent i think.
As for other mods, I really want to update the little things like clear side indicators (I too was looking into them not so long ago), Ive just taken the covers off the driving lights at the bottom, and i want to replace all yellow globes with white ones (just to make it look a bit more up to date.
I will go into pedders this week and look at my optins regarding suspension. I would love for it to be approx. 3" lower (thatd be awesome). The interior is in excellent condition so i dont know if i want to change the interior, as in go for leather or vinyl (i had vynil in my civic and i didnt mind it!), id love to get it to showroom condition......
Ive never seen another outback with noticable mods so its quite interesting to see what you can do with them and looking through this forum, there is alot of potential.

Cheers Morgan and thanks again guys

P.S. Where did you get your chrome Gen4 badges? I had a look on japanparts yesterday and couldnt find anything
[03.SUBY]

#23 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:00 AM

Hi,

It might have changed on Gen4, but I didn't have to anything apart from install the struts 'n springs. No cross member was mentioned at all?

Cheers,
Nik

#24 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

Thats good news then Nik. Sawty2452, let us know how you go at Pedders, Im very interested!

I got my badges from a Luke on here. They are pretty hard to come by.

There are a few meets every now and again. None really your way unfortunately. Not too many Coffs members - this is where you come in! SPREAD THE WORD!! :)

Honestly, is weird how similar our ideas are about modding our OBKs! You mightve seen my mod list at the bottom of my first post in my thread and what ive done so far, almost identical to yours!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#25 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

To lower an OBK dont you just fit liberty springs and struts? Bilstien???
Personally I have found Pedders products perform well below the price.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#26 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

Better than Kings arent they Jase?
Here is the RSLC thread i started about it all

Things that need to be changed apparently:
-Remove these blocks that lift it higher than the Lib wag
-Change springs/struts
-Replace x member bolts (can also use liberty ones)
-Gearbox x member - not necessary (can manipulate the existing ones)?
-Steering knuckle

IM47Gcv.jpg

#27 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:17 PM

Hi,

I am not familiar with the Gen3 OBK, but that just doesn't sound right. All an OBK is to a liberty is a higher ride height and stronger LCA's. Maybe there's something going on WRT Gen4 OBK's never came in manual?

Cheers,
Nik

#28 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

Gen III is as Morg's has said - remove/replace those parts.
I've got them all except the g/box crossmember (which is on its way) in my shed, or they've already been done (coilovers and steering knuckle).

Is mine classed as slammed? I haven't even taking out the actual body lift...

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#29 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

Haha its not airbag slammed but its pretty low!

Posted Image

IM47Gcv.jpg

#30 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

It can go lower.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#31 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

Dooo iiiiit!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#32 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

Hey guys,
Does anyone on here know if you can change the parker bulb out of a gen 3 Outback without taking the whole Headlight out? Im trying to put LEDs in there and finding it difficult!
Thanks
[03.SUBY]

#33 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

Yea just have to find the plug behind it and twist. Its at the bottom of the unit.
Drivers side is more diffucult due to the air intake being in the way i think but still not overly difficult

IM47Gcv.jpg

#34 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

Yea just have to find the plug behind it and twist. Its at the bottom of the unit.
Drivers side is more diffucult due to the air intake being in the way i think but still not overly difficult

Oh sweet so I dont have to take the headlight assembly off? And the air intake wouldnt be all that difficult to unbolt or unscrew and replace...?
[03.SUBY]

#35 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

Intake is held on my 2 bolts at the front of the engine bay. Take care putting them back on though, ive seared one off mine over tightening!
Once the bolts are out, put it away from the resinator until it comes loose - viola :)

No need to take out the whole headlight assembly for parker globe change but its not hard to do it you need to anyway - 3 bolts

IM47Gcv.jpg

#36 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

Intake is held on my 2 bolts at the front of the engine bay. Take care putting them back on though, ive seared one off mine over tightening!
Once the bolts are out, put it away from the resinator until it comes loose - viola :)

No need to take out the whole headlight assembly for parker globe change but its not hard to do it you need to anyway - 3 bolts

Yeah it said in the manual to take the headlight assembly out to change the parkers but I was trying to suss out whether or not I really needed to. While im at it, every ones been flashing me at night (maybe theyre telling me that my headlights are aimed up or are too bright? i dont think theyre too bright though)
Would you know how to adjust the headlights??

Thanks mate
[03.SUBY]

#37 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

There are long thin bolt looking things that extend out from the unit (hexagonal head). Turning these will adjust the direction of light. Ive had to drastically change mine after installing HIDs!
Id suggest driving up to a wall, marking where the beam currently stops and then start adjusting. This way you can see if you are going the right direction and also how far you've gone - to make them equal. The drivers side is always a little lower than pass side.

The intake scoop will have to be removed for this too.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#38 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

There are long thin bolt looking things that extend out from the unit (hexagonal head). Turning these will adjust the direction of light. Ive had to drastically change mine after installing HIDs!
Id suggest driving up to a wall, marking where the beam currently stops and then start adjusting. This way you can see if you are going the right direction and also how far you've gone - to make them equal. The drivers side is always a little lower than pass side.

The intake scoop will have to be removed for this too.

I thought that had something to do with it.. Thanks Morgan
[03.SUBY]

#39 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:54 PM

Happy birthday Sam!
No longer a teenager hey!
Time to get that full licence?

IM47Gcv.jpg

#40 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:17 PM

Hey Morgan. Thanks alot mate. Unfortunately I have to wait until next november to get them as I was late getting my p's. Kinda sucks but gives me a bit of time to save for upgrades(turbo)...
[03.SUBY]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users