Photo

Hi-po Forester shines for Subaru - Sydney Motor Show

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Hi-po Forester shines for Subaru - Sydney Motor Show (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Pass or Fail?

1. Pass (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. Fail (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

Posted Image

Customers ask for a boxy soft-roader with a storming WRX engine, and the car maker delivers.

Subaru has rewarded its third-largest market in the world with a special treat - a hot version of its Forester soft-roader.

On the surface it may look like a slightly tweaked version of the Forester XT Turbo, but underneath beats the heart of the WRX, a turbocharged four-cylinder boxer engine developing 193kW of power and 347Nm of torque.

There's mild suspension tweaks underneath to reflect the engine's 24kW and 27Nm gain over its more pedestrian sibling, while Subaru Australia managing director Nick Senior says it will cost less than $4000 more than the range-topping XT Turbo Premium, despite a high level of standard equipment.

That means the Forester S will sell for a snip under $50,000 when it arrives in Australian showrooms later this year.

Senior says the hi-po Forester - today's international reveal takes place a month before it even gets into Japanese showrooms - is a present from Japan.

"I guess you could call it a present," he says. "Australia is the third-largest market in the world for Subaru, and this market is a strong one for Forester," he says.

The new performance hero for the boxy soft-roader includes exterior details around the grille and wing mirrors, as well as a set of steel roof rails (missing from this production model).

Add to that a sunroof, satellite navigation system and dual-zone air conditioning, and Senior says Subaru now has a Forester that customers have been asking for. He expects up to 100 customers a month to back that up with a purchase.

He says Subaru would not be able to pull off another world first reveal for Melbourne's version of the show, but the car maker would definitely have something locally significant.

"It won't be a world first, but it will definitely be something exciting,"
Senior says.

Oh, and don't worry about that daggy looking wing mirror hanging off the left-hand guard. Senior says this particular model is a Japanese specification Forester, and the Australian version will not have it.

So, if like the Forester, enough customers ask for a vehicle, will Subaru bring back the Brumby ute?
"No," is the curt response.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This info and more can be found at: http://smh.drive.com.au

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

3" inch drop and it'd look good.

#3 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Hi,

Looks terrible. Joke of a car. They made it American and now they want to win us back? What an afterthought of a concept. This car is stupid, anyone that buys it is a complete sucker.

Cheers,
Nik

#4 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

saw it in person today at the motorshow. interior is nice, needs bigger wheels and 4" drop!

MY07 GT spec B

#5 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

I like it.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#6 hamish_023

hamish_023

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

So do I. But my standards coming from Subaru have dropped massively compared to 2 years ago. Even though it is using the 17's not the Sti 18 enkei's. and needs to be dropped a bit.

The seats fail, should have been all leather or grey suede seen in the Liberty Sti's.
Adelaide's finest Automotive Detailing
www.elitefinish.com.au
www.facebook.com/elitefinish

#7 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Hi,

Not trying to be unfriendly, but are you serious? It looks forking terrible.

Cheers,
Nik

Posted Image

WHAT ABOUT THIS IS LIKEABLE??

#8 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

It looks like a foz with sti rims... and a red S on the back.

#9 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

I don't understand why your hating on it so much Niklestikle :scratch_one-s_head:

#10 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:26 PM

Im with Nik, looks like an abortion. Putting those rims on a car with that ride height looks STUPID. The front looks too soft as well, doesn't need anywhere near as many "air grills". Try the older Forester sti for the win!
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#11 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

subaru needed to keep up with the current wrx, the fozza has always been pretty much on par with power figures. for the past couple years it has stayed at 169kw where the wrx has jumped up to 195kw.

MY07 GT spec B

#12 hamish_023

hamish_023

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

The forester has near always been a tone down of the WRX engine.
Example (2002 Fozza 130KW 254Nm) (2002 Wrx 160kw 292Nm)
Example (2005 Fozza 155kW 320Nm) ( 2005 Wrx 168Kw 300Nm)

Besides the 2007 Models which were the same.
Adelaide's finest Automotive Detailing
www.elitefinish.com.au
www.facebook.com/elitefinish

#13 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

Im with Nik, looks like an abortion. Putting those rims on a car with that ride height looks STUPID. The front looks too soft as well, doesn't need anywhere near as many "air grills". Try the older Forester sti for the win!

So... if they'd lowered it 3 or 4 inches all would be sweet? The front end looks like a forester... and being a Forester I can sort of understand their logic there. What were they sposed to make it look like, an impreza?

Oh well...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

Hi,

Two major problems that I'll mention.

1) There is pretty much zero exterior styling to set this car apart, a front lip at the minimum would be nice. They mention styling to the wing mirrors and 'around' the grille. I am looking at this and looking at the white 2010 XTL in my driveway and wondering WTF they've actually done?

2) An STi or at least upgraded exhaust to give a soft but noticeable growl would be nice.

3) This is a JDM model shown, I do have to wonder if the quoted figures will be correct.

4) For $4,000 I could recreate and surpass that small gain in power and looks.

Cheers,
Nik

#15 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hi,

Two major problems that I'll mention.

1) There is pretty much zero exterior styling to set this car apart, a front lip at the minimum would be nice. They mention styling to the wing mirrors and 'around' the grille. I am looking at this and looking at the white 2010 XTL in my driveway and wondering WTF they've actually done?

2) An STi or at least upgraded exhaust to give a soft but noticeable growl would be nice.

3) This is a JDM model shown, I do have to wonder if the quoted figures will be correct.

4) For $4,000 I could recreate and surpass that small gain in power and looks.

Cheers,
Nik

That's 4 broski :sarcastic:

I can see where your coming from now. I agree with the 1st 2. Depending on what "tweaks" were made to the eng and susp, I think you'd have a hard time keeping under 4K tho - there's 2.5K of wheels, then you've got the new interior aswell.

#16 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

Haha, I was on a roll.

That is a good point too, those wheels are expensive. I'd go for cheaper wheels, but to recreate with the Enkei's would be difficult to do. As for the blue interior, that's just sacrilege for us B4 owners isn't it?!?

Cheers,
Nik

#17 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

Hahaha, sure is.

Hopefully people who buy them don't like the wheels and will flood the market with cheap enkei's.

#18 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

To begin with, its not an STi Forester so comparing it to that wouldn't be fair. Its just a "parts bin special", so theres nothing particularly special about it.

I agree with Nik. Theres nothing that stands out to differentiate it. Just a normal Foz with wheels that don't suit and an interior designed by people who've are obviously lacking imagination as of late.

They're just doing this so when they release a proper Forester STi, our jaws will drop ;)

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#19 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

BOOMCHISH!!!

Posted Image

#20 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8