30 replies to this topic

#21 Trent

Trent

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Just went out and plugged in the laptop.

Before tune:

Posted Image

After tune and about 100kms of driving.

Posted Image

Slight improvement :yahoo:

#22 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

umm you are getting some learned knock there in the high rpms... anything over -2 is a bit of a concern! i'd be checking that regularly...

fueling is obviously much better. IAM of 9 for stock car is rubbish.

i'd keep an eye on it? are you logging fbkc with RR?

MY07 GT spec B

#23 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

You don't need a piggy backwih OBDII complaint vehicles.

Just curious, how do you define better? Unless your talking the later tunes, earlier ECUtek tunes are just mapping of fuel, right? A piggyback can control more variables for performance. Plus an ECUtek purchase and tune will run close to 2K while a piggyback purchase and tune will usually be around 1000ish, less if purchased second hand. ECUtek means you are restricted to ECUtek licenced workshops, while piggybacks can be done anywhere. :)

Infact most OEM PCM's are better then the aftermarket.
(given the majority of cars aren't spastic)

Again, how are factory power control modules better? Factory systems cant manage major mods, neither can a piggyback for that matter. Anyway, a piggyback still retains a factory PCM.

#24 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

Just curious, how do you define better? Unless your talking the later tunes, earlier ECUtek tunes are just mapping of fuel, right? A piggyback can control more variables for performance. Plus an ECUtek purchase and tune will run close to 2K while a piggyback purchase and tune will usually be around 1000ish, less if purchased second hand. ECUtek means you are restricted to ECUtek licenced workshops, while piggybacks can be done anywhere. :)

Again, how are factory power control modules better? Factory systems cant manage major mods, neither can a piggyback for that matter. Anyway, a piggyback still retains a factory PCM.

the factory ECU on 2001+ vehicles can modify EVERYTHING a piggyback can do and more. fuel, boost, timing, dbw, closed loop, open loop, turbo dynamics, wastegate duty cycles, injector scaling, MAF scaling, knock correction, launch control (yes from the factory ECU), and much much more. even better yet it doesnt require and wiring modifications and the software used is FREE.

ECUTEK is not the only way of modifying the stock ECU i suggest you do some reading. www.romraider.com and www.openecu.org

BTW my tune cost me $150 for around 8 different varients. if you look who is tuning these days in oz particularly sydney you will see ALL workshops using opensource (apart from MRT ripoffs)

my car was tuned by a tuner in the states!

MY07 GT spec B

#25 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

the factory ECU on 2001+ vehicles can modify EVERYTHING a piggyback can do and more. fuel, boost, timing, dbw, closed loop, open loop, turbo dynamics, wastegate duty cycles, injector scaling, MAF scaling, knock correction, launch control (yes from the factory ECU), and much much more. even better yet it doesnt require and wiring modifications and the software used is FREE.

ECUTEK is not the only way of modifying the stock ECU i suggest you do some reading. www.romraider.com and www.openecu.org

BTW my tune cost me $150 for around 8 different varients. if you look who is tuning these days in oz particularly sydney you will see ALL workshops using opensource (apart from MRT ripoffs)

my car was tuned by a tuner in the states!

Thanks mate. I was more or less referring to people who dont have a tactrix cable and sensor or the will to do it themselves and most often than not use ECUtek. :)

So why do people use ECUtek, if open source custom tunes provide a better alternative?

#26 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

Thanks mate. I was more or less referring to people who dont have a tactrix cable and sensor or the will to do it themselves and most often than not use ECUtek. :)

So why do people use ECUtek, if open source custom tunes provide a better alternative?

ignorance, people not shopping around, people with too much money etc etc etc.

MY07 GT spec B

#27 Trent

Trent

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

It's hardly ignorance. Different tuners use different tools. Some use haltech, some use ecutek, some use opensource, etc. Tuners just use the one they are most comfortable with.

Ecutek is a good tool. forking expensive but good. You'll have to excuse us Alexxx if not all of us are comfortable with someone 12000+ kms away tuning our cars for us.

I did ask however and he can't tune B4s.

#28 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Ecutek is a good tool. forking expensive but good. You'll have to excuse us Alexxx if not all of us are comfortable with someone 12000+ kms away tuning our cars for us.

wasn't referring to your tune, to bigwillies comments :drinks:

MY07 GT spec B

#29 Trent

Trent

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

No worries. How's the car going anyway? Still on the cranes or have they moved you on?

#30 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

No worries. How's the car going anyway? Still on the cranes or have they moved you on?

CCM1 techo now. got deano's old job :) how's yours treating you?? miss sms? haha

car is going great. i love not having to spend money on it anymore!!

MY07 GT spec B

#31 Trent

Trent

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Yeah jobs pretty good but hating where I am atm. Move in 4 weeks so should be better. I miss SMS sometimes but then I remember the shit I worked in. Much better now.

Congrats on being a techo. Good job if you're keen. I wasn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users