• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

Ok Ive been getting a knocking sound and vibration through my steering when going round round-a-abouts for the past couple of months. It doesnt happen all the time though.

Ive replaced all my front bushes and CVs and still getting the same issue.

Ive come to the conclusion it is my front shocks (Boge shocks) as now im getting it going around bumpy corners as well and it sounds more prominent that its my shocks internal are screwed. Ive inspected them and theres no oil to show they are leaking and tested the rebound and nothing there either. Theyve done about 50K

Is there anything else that could be the problem?

I have a set of front Bilstens from a gen 2 lib i got off Scott to use the strut tops, will they fit in my gen 3? They look like they will but I dont want risk it without knowing for sure.

Im having my Teins rebuilt atm and I need something to do me over in the meantime... I dont want to really fork out extra cash for new shocks if im getting some rebuilt already

#2 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

Rotor warp or Wheel bearings?

i say rotor warp cause whats that thing called where your callipers move after going around corners? and why race drivers tap the brake before hitting a corner to pull the callipers back into place?? calliper float or something?

also have you tried oiling/lube them up? my rear billies were creaking and doing some weird stuff i thought i needed them re-built.. i would pull up at lights and the rear would creak and then i could feel it drop like what felt an inch or 2 but when i took it to get tested they found nothing, just sprayed something on them and since them its been fine.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#3 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

Rotor warp or Wheel bearings?

i say rotor warp cause whats that thing called where your callipers move after going around corners? and why race drivers tap the brake before hitting a corner to pull the callipers back into place?? calliper float or something?

also have you tried oiling/lube them up? my rear billies were creaking and doing some weird stuff i thought i needed them re-built.. i would pull up at lights and the rear would creak and then i could feel it drop like what felt an inch or 2 but when i took it to get tested they found nothing, just sprayed something on them and since them its been fine.

Rotors are fine checked for that.... Wheel bearings? No funny noises when driving...

Mite try oiling the shocks up... How did u do it?

#4 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

i honestly dont know what the guy did, he just sprayed something on with a spray bottle, probably some lithium grease or similar would do the trick though.

he had the car on hoist so the struts were fully extended, so maybe try jack it up before you do it to get it right up in there (thats what she said)

#5 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

Just use silicone spray as a temporary fix (and a can is cheap) and see if that actually "fixes" it.
If it does, get new struts or wait for the Tein's.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#6 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:41 AM

Ok ill give the spray a go first.

Do you know if gen2 struts fit in gen3s? They look like do?

#7 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

Can anyone confirm if Gen2 front billies fit in a Gen3?

#8 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

If I had to guess? I would say yes they will. Rears definitely are different though. Can you just measure the distances between the 2 lower bolt holes and the 3 upper studs? If they are the same then they should fit

#9 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

If I had to guess? I would say yes they will. Rears definitely are different though. Can you just measure the distances between the 2 lower bolt holes and the 3 upper studs? If they are the same then they should fit

Well im using the strut tops off them. They look like they should they have the bracket for the brake line but they are missing a bracket for the abs line.

#10 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

Well then I reckon you should be fine, just measure the distance between the camber bolt and lower bolt on the hubs and compare with the replacement struts to double check.

#11 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

Ive managed 2 source a set of OEM MY05 WRX STI struts pretty cheap... Can anyone shed some light whether the fronts will fit in my car?

#12 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

I have a set of front Bilstens from a gen 2 lib i got off Scott to use the strut tops, will they fit in my gen 3? They look like they will but I dont want risk it without knowing for sure.

I think they might fit, but only the fronts.

I have a bit of a clicking sound from all my struts when I stop quickly or go over bumps. I was under the impression the inverted Bilstein struts just required regreseasing. Am planning on doing it myself when I get the chance.

Why not rebuild your current struts or buy some Bilsteins to suit. I see them on ebay regularly.

#13 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

Im having my Teins rebuilt atm and I need something to do me over in the meantime... I dont want to really fork out extra cash for new shocks if im getting some rebuilt already

I think they might fit, but only the fronts.

I have a bit of a clicking sound from all my struts when I stop quickly or go over bumps. I was under the impression the inverted Bilstein struts just required regreseasing. Am planning on doing it myself when I get the chance.

Why not rebuild your current struts or buy some Bilsteins to suit. I see them on ebay regularly.

If you read my first post I already got some billies from a Gen2 but they dont have the bracket for the ABS lines.

Also im already gettin my teins rebuilt so theirs no point reading my boge shocks

#14 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

Look what I pick up today very cheap!

MY05 WRX STI Struts and springs. Came out of a wreck that got T-boned with about 60K done on them no leaks at all...

Lets hope this fixes my noisy problems in the front around corners.

Posted Image

A closer look and it looks as if they have the silver whiteline springs but will need to double check them :yahoo:

Will be putting them in first thing Saturday morning and hope this fiesx my noisy problems in the front around corners.

Also I wont be needing the rears so if anyone is interested let me know and we'll cash... Will be cheap seeing as I got these at a very good price

#15 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:39 AM

How many k's the rears done mate?

Might have a buyer depending on price and if you will ship to Vic

#16 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

How many k's the rears done mate?

Might have a buyer depending on price and if you will ship to Vic

Apparently about 60K...

Your looking about $20-$30 for postage to VIC... Whats your postcode?

#17 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

3163 mate.. i'll ask my mate see if he is keen now.

#18 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Well My05 WRX STI struts do not fit in Gen3s at all! The bolt holes on the shocks are closer together by about 10mm....

I found something that i didnt see before....

Posted Image">

Posted Image

Looks as though my car is too low in the front and my tyre is is rubbing the inner guard when i go around corners.. This is probably the reason for the sound/vibration... Hmmm

The only thing i can think of is 5mm spacers until i got my teins rebuild...

Would changing the toe and camber help?

Anyone got any suggestions?

#19 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Could try less neg camber and more toe. Dunno how much it'll help. Maybe go back to a 215 tyre?.

#20 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

05 STi have 5 x 114.3 P.C.D and they bolt to the knuckle differently - as you've found out...

Less camber, less caster (if you've done anything to change it in the first place) - or do what I did and beat the **** out of the guards.
Or, jack the car up, put a phone book/newspapers on the tyre where it rubs on the guard and lower the car back down.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users