• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 548ARU

548ARU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

hey guys well since ive started my build yesterday as such i thought i would put up a build thread for a future reference, now since i havent got alot of cash laying around im trying to do things on the cheap but not too cheap(if you know what i mean)it all started with the QR charity track day where i did a big end bearing :(
Posted Image
dont know if you can see it but it is on the right of the pic
so after a $380 tow from there to my house(75km away :( )it was clear i needed a rebuild,
Posted Image

now for those that don't know, i have a V6 STI, is(wont be for long) pretty much stock apart from a pod filter and a 3inch exhaust from the cat back and some gauges ive installed...oh and the removal of the Brant with a viper alarm system, so anyway with a few mates in high places ive aquired a closed deck 2L block that just needs to be checked over and cleaned up :)
Posted Image

with help from Dave and my mate Dean we pulled the old EJ207 out of the poor carcus that is my car
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
now the engines out wevw started pulling it apart to see what is still good to use, im going to upgrade pistons(wiseco) and rods(maybe eagle rods)ACL race bearing and ARP headstuds, going to need a new intake pipe as i broke my stock 1 pulling the inlet manifold off(woops i TOTTALLY didnt mean to :) )thinking i might keep the crank and the STI cams just to save a bit more cash, i know for sure 2 out of the 4 cams are good, still have to take the other 2 out, the cank is coming out wednesday when i get a bigger spanner :lol: also im going to go with a FMIC and get a ECU tune with a unichip and that would be it for now :)

i'll post up some more pics of the old girl :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

Clean looking V6, I like it.

So will you just be building up the C/D 2ltr, Or will it be bored out?

Keep us in the loop on your build :)
MY02 Liberty B4

#3 548ARU

548ARU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

just building it mate, dont really want any bigger then 2L, mate of mine is doing a build aswell but he is using a 2.5L with his heads and inlet manifold, he said "not worth it dude, cost me enough" lol
Posted Image

#4 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

Are you getting the rear thrust machined to accept the later crank on the closed deck block?
The later cranks also have different rod journal sizes so just a heads up you can't mix and match some engine components (you probably know this already though).
Standard heads flow quite well. A mate of mine with a V6 STI the same colour as yours was pushing 250ATW out of an unopened engine.
It really depends on what output you are chasing.
A closed deck is a decent way to start if remaining 2.0l but machining will chew up some cash you could have used elsewhere. If there is nothing wrong with the block I would re-use it. Again, it just depends what you want from the engine.
I managed to find an EJ255 complete short for $100 out of an '07 Foz.
Food for thought.
BTW.....is one of those photo's on Nudgee Rd at the old servo?
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#5 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

Hi,

Subscribing

nice looking v6

Stuff goes here

#6 548ARU

548ARU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

Are you getting the rear thrust machined to accept the later crank on the closed deck block?
The later cranks also have different rod journal sizes so just a heads up you can't mix and match some engine components (you probably know this already though).
Standard heads flow quite well. A mate of mine with a V6 STI the same colour as yours was pushing 250ATW out of an unopened engine.
It really depends on what output you are chasing.
A closed deck is a decent way to start if remaining 2.0l but machining will chew up some cash you could have used elsewhere. If there is nothing wrong with the block I would re-use it. Again, it just depends what you want from the engine.
I managed to find an EJ255 complete short for $100 out of an '07 Foz.
Food for thought.
BTW.....is one of those photo's on Nudgee Rd at the old servo?

yeah im gonna machine what needs to be to match it up, have also thought of a sti 2.5L crank for a li bit of displacement, as for the block i doubt there is anything wrong with it, but i got a closed deck for free so why not lol for power i'd be happy with 200kw at all 4 wheels, that photo i take it it is the 1 whith the evo in it then no it is at a bp down Springwood way, cant remember which 1 off memory but it is just off the highway :P

Hi,

Subscribing

nice looking v6

haha thanks mate for the complament and the subscribe :)
Posted Image

#7 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

I have a 2.5 crank and forged rods if you want $600 for all. :)
Honestly, if you are happy wit 200ATW don't mess around with changing the block.
You have all the bits to do that comfortably. Just check that the crank has no damage on the bigend. May just need a linish if it is scored but then that will mean different bigend bearings are required.
The mains should be fine.

#8 548ARU

548ARU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

Well i would be happy with 200kw, but i want to make sure the engine is bullet proof so if i ever decide to go more power it is there for me add to :P
P.s whats the condition on the crank and what rods do you have??
Posted Image

#9 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

fantastic looking car mate! good luck with it :)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#10 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

Good luck with it buddy. Hope this is up and running when I get back..so chop chop :)

#11 548ARU

548ARU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

Thanks guys, umm jesse i doubt it will be, and when you get back i want your cluth to be good so when i get her on the road again ahe will go chop chop...to you lol
Posted Image

#12 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

Well i would be happy with 200kw, but i want to make sure the engine is bullet proof so if i ever decide to go more power it is there for me add to :P
P.s whats the condition on the crank and what rods do you have??

No such thing as a bulletproof engine. Way too many variables.
However, 200 is very attainable and relativley safe for any Suby engine open/semi/or closed deck.
My crank is a phase 2 2.5 crank and the rods are PAR 131.5mm forged rods with ARP rod bolts.

#13 548ARU

548ARU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

No such thing as a bulletproof engine. Way too many variables.
However, 200 is very attainable and relativley safe for any Suby engine open/semi/or closed deck.
My crank is a phase 2 2.5 crank and the rods are PAR 131.5mm forged rods with ARP rod bolts.

Yeah thats true, well im still deciding what i want to do, have a few people putting in their say lol
Posted Image

#14 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

Mates in high places?

Relax!

I don't see the point in going a closed deck block if you're only going to chase around 200kw, and staying two litre in displacement.

It'd be easier to go back to your high mates, trade the CD Block for a 2.5L NA one, and do a 2.5L build if you're concerned about chasing more power further down the track.

Or even a 2.2L block.

When it comes to engine builds of any sort...

POWER, CHEAP PRICE, RELIABILITY......you can only pick two elements.

#15 548ARU

548ARU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

Mates in high places?

Relax!

I don't see the point in going a closed deck block if you're only going to chase around 200kw, and staying two litre in displacement.

It'd be easier to go back to your high mates, trade the CD Block for a 2.5L NA one, and do a 2.5L build if you're concerned about chasing more power further down the track.

Or even a 2.2L block.

When it comes to engine builds of any sort...

POWER, CHEAP PRICE, RELIABILITY......you can only pick two elements.

Well thats well and good, but i have the potential of a 2L that is a closed deck at home, i will be able to get more power out with out alot of comprimise, sure wont have the touque of a 2.5 but i wont have to worry about the mod plating and engereers cert, and besides a stong 2L isnt all bad, i may get a 2.2 stroker kit but that all depends on what i want to do

Anyways Just a update, pulled the heads off lastnight and inlet cam number 2 was being a lil biarch to come out, but after some time and choice words to my cam, she came off, i thought this would be a oppitunity to lay some claims ive heard to rest, i jeard by some that the V6 STI had a semi closed deck, well they actually have a open 1, as i found out
Posted Image

Nathan
Posted Image

#16 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

Sounds like it's all going good dude.

#17 548ARU

548ARU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:51 PM

Sounds like it's all going good dude.

Yeah man, pretty keen to get her back stronger then ever, hopfully she is done when u get back bro :P
Posted Image

#18 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

Nice build man.

I have a spare EJ25 if you're wanting it for a bigger engine build. Dunno if the turbo and NA blocks are the same, maybe someone could shed some light.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#19 548ARU

548ARU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

Nice build man.

I have a spare EJ25 if you're wanting it for a bigger engine build. Dunno if the turbo and NA blocks are the same, maybe someone could shed some light.

Cheers,
Shazza

Off memory the inlet and exhaust is the diffetence, thanks anyways man, i just sent the closed deck and the heads off to get checked and et all the clearences done today, also the cams and cam followers as well as the crank, looked perfect but you never know :P
Posted Image

#20 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Nice build man.

Cheers,
Shazza

Hi Shazza,
How muchy?????
To the OP Turbo 2.5 blocks are semi closed deck where N/A's are open deck.
Please see semi-closed piccy.
Posted Image
Yea baby, faced and ready for assembly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users