TSM

#22 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

Numbers isnt so much of an issue atm, im moreso looking at the stability of the car, wether itll hold up or not etc.

205,000km later and my 99' lib has held up bar a leaky radiator.
p.s. I'm a P plater.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#23 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

205,000km later and my 99' lib has held up bar a leaky radiator.
p.s. I'm a P plater.

Cool story bro!
TSM

#24 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

Why are you replacing brake pads every 5000km?

Where you been?

You know what I mean, every 5000km, whether changing the brakes or not, the service is still expensive on a STi in comparison to a WRX.

And what's with the ps Im a p-plater? IS it a secret? Why are we whispering?

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#25 mike

mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

Everywhere i call to book a test drive with the STI need full finance etc before test driving, and i haven't even goten my car back yet from repairs :(

#26 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Everywhere i call to book a test drive with the STI need full finance etc before test driving, and i haven't even goten my car back yet from repairs :(

Which City?

#27 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

So get finance?

Pre-approved doesnt mean pre-spent.

STi wont cost you any more to service, provided you're not stupid enough to go back to Subaru to have the work done. If you do, then well, you deserve it...
TSM

#28 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

Why are you calling them?
Just go down there. If you look half serious and look to be able to afford an STI they won't ask for anything other than your licence.

To the OP, a near new WRX is so much cheaper than an similar aged STI. They almost look the same and for everyday use the STI seems a bit overpriced.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#29 mike

mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

Problem is im 21, and i dont no if dealers will take me seriously <_<

EDIT: sorry im also in sydney

#30 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

hey mate im 22, was 21 when they let me take out the new wrx for a test drive when i was going to buy one, they just copied my licence and away i went and they didnt come with, went for a pretty long drive too :)

im in sydney

#31 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

Problem is im 21, and i dont no if dealers will take me seriously <_<

EDIT: sorry im also in sydney

I'm 21 this yr aswell bud, and dealers take me seriously, just go in there, talk business. Ask for a WRX test drive then ask about the STi, they'll offer a STi drive if you've taken the Rex for a drive and sound like you have the $ for a STi.

Pre approved takes 5mins. Just take in some paychecks.

Paul STi DOES cost more to service, a noticeable difference, not double the price or anything. You can't just take your STi anywhere for service. It's pretty select on the warranty side of things. And replacement parts come with a premium as opposed to Subaru.

#32 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

Bullshit, by law Subaru can't void a warranty if its serviced by a qualified mechanic. So long as the book is stamped its legal.
As for parts, shop around.
Replacing broken parts hardly counts as a service. They're essentially the same car as a WRX. All the servicible parts will be the same. (Baring obviously brakes and perhaps a litre more oil here or there)

One thing I would consider though.

Insurance.

That will be different guaranteed...
TSM

#33 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:14 AM

Mate, be weary if you are going to finance one through a dealership. Their initial interest rates can be rather attractive, but its the bit after that that stings you.
They generally say "6% interest!!! for the first year. But basically what they do is, they offer you 6% interest for the 1st year, then the difference between the 8% and their standard rate of say 15%, they add onto the 2nd year.

Realistically, you're paying 15%, but the first years interest is deferred until the second, and thats when you should invest in some lube because the finance company will bend you over backwards.

Stay away from St George Finance, Esanda and Toyota Finance. They all have deals like that.

And Soop is right, so long as a mechanic is a qualified mechanic, you don't have to take it to the dealership to be serviced, and it will NOT void your factory warranty. If they offer you the "Dealership Extended Warranty for 3 years only-catch-is-you-need-to-get-it-serviced-every-6-months-to-not-void-it warranty, i would tend to shy away from that, if you know another mechanic thats had some experience with Subys, as those dealer warrantys fsck you sideways.

I used to do car sales in a rather large dealership, and know the tricks of the trade.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#34 mike

mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

If i get a 2nd hand WRX i should be able to straight swap it for my current car (after i sell it). If i get the STI 2nd hand i 'should' be able to pay cash. I dont really feel like a debt hanging over me at this age.

Cheers once again guys, gonna be going today to check out the cars.

#35 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

Mate, be weary if you are going to finance one through a dealership. Their initial interest rates can be rather attractive, but its the bit after that that stings you.
They generally say "6% interest!!! for the first year. But basically what they do is, they offer you 6% interest for the 1st year, then the difference between the 8% and their standard rate of say 15%, they add onto the 2nd year.

Realistically, you're paying 15%, but the first years interest is deferred until the second, and thats when you should invest in some lube because the finance company will bend you over backwards.

Stay away from St George Finance, Esanda and Toyota Finance. They all have deals like that.

And Soop is right, so long as a mechanic is a qualified mechanic, you don't have to take it to the dealership to be serviced, and it will NOT void your factory warranty. If they offer you the "Dealership Extended Warranty for 3 years only-catch-is-you-need-to-get-it-serviced-every-6-months-to-not-void-it warranty, i would tend to shy away from that, if you know another mechanic thats had some experience with Subys, as those dealer warrantys fsck you sideways.

I used to do car sales in a rather large dealership, and know the tricks of the trade.

Cheers,
Shazza

BMW Finance are good though Shaz, and will finance a 2nd hand Subaru purchase at a great price.
More mechanics will service a WRX for a good price, then service a STi for the same price. Those three letters make all the difference on the receipt. Been there Paul, done that.

Long story short, WRX is the more economical choice, invest the spare cash in some little aesthetic mods.

#36 mike

mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

Ive got a test drive with an 08 STI through persistence :yahoo: so ill be going in sometime this week to test it out.

So hard trying to find an 09 WRX tho so im thinking of test driving the new ones... shouldn't be to many differences between them right? lol

#37 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

So hard trying to find an 09 WRX tho so im thinking of test driving the new ones... shouldn't be to many differences between them right? lol

http://www.carsales....id=12AB45FF9303

IM47Gcv.jpg

#38 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

BMW Finance are good though Shaz, and will finance a 2nd hand Subaru purchase at a great price.
More mechanics will service a WRX for a good price, then service a STi for the same price. Those three letters make all the difference on the receipt. Been there Paul, done that.

Long story short, WRX is the more economical choice, invest the spare cash in some little aesthetic mods.

LOL if you let a mechanic charge you more to service and STi then a WRX then you're a fool.

That aside, I feel that the stealership warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. Educate yourself and service it yourself. Take good care of it and nothing drastic should go wrong.

I've never trusted mechanics with my cars. Can't stand paying someone to do something I'm capable of doing myself and probably to a higher quality allot of the time.
My P.O.V anyway.
TSM

#39 mike

mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:59 PM

I dont wanna go and test drive someones car without the possiblity of buying it. I don't have the money atm, if i did i would.

#40 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:46 AM

LOL if you let a mechanic charge you more to service and STi then a WRX then you're a fool.

That aside, I feel that the stealership warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. Educate yourself and service it yourself. Take good care of it and nothing drastic should go wrong.

I've never trusted mechanics with my cars. Can't stand paying someone to do something I'm capable of doing myself and probably to a higher quality allot of the time.
My P.O.V anyway.

Yeah I know you service your cars Paul. But I'm talking about generally, as in just being another STi owner, not a real tech head, just another office worker with a fast car. It's not that relevant anyway, as I said, it's up to where the owner takes it, how an4l they are with the servicing, and their level of knowledge etc.

But you're dead on about insurance.....wowzers it sucks ****, I'm guessing 21, Sydney, WRX...hmm over $2,500 / year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users