33 replies to this topic

#21 Jordan

Jordan

Jordyshore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

very very bad idea. the window is surely to hit the coil on the back of speaker. stocks are only rated at 30w, pretty much anything other than some infinity slimline series requires spacers.

I thought so too, My brother and I did it on our cars, both gen 3 libs, different speakers, and they fit with ample room. I was ready to buy/make speaker mounts, but there weren't needed.
Screws were too long (not screws that came with the speakers), which is what farked me up, shorter screws, work fine now.

So if you do do this, be ready to make speaker mounts if you need to, and install them with windows down all the way.

Jordan - MY02 Forester GT - Sydney

#22 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

1. Buy 6.5"
2. Posted Image mounts, drill holes in the metal.
3. Screw in, without screws too long that will scratch the window (right shaz?)
4. Better, 6.5" speakers fitting.

+1
Did the same with my 6.5" speakers and they fit perfectly with no problems at all and they aren't slimline.

#23 bbyj

bbyj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

accidentally bought 6"x8" splitters without thinking because it was cheap as chips. solution? go to Bunning's and buy some sheets of MDF and make bigger mounts and shove em in. fits nice and tight no rattles :D
Liberty RX MY02: Blitz Nur Spec cannon, b4 BBS 17", b4 Momo steering wheel, MY09 Legacy Momo gear knob, fake leather seat covers from ebay, K-mart watermelon air freshner

#24 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

Im tempted to buy a jigsaw and do this properly.

+1
Did the same with my 6.5" speakers and they fit perfectly with no problems at all and they aren't slimline.

I did that in the rear. I used quite long screws. In the Lib/Legacy, the rear windows go down on an angle and dont go near the speakers but in the front the windows go down straight. Some speakers do go quite deep. I think around 40mm depth should clear, well thats what the stock one seems to be anyway.

#25 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Im tempted to buy a jigsaw and do this properly.

I did that in the rear. I used quite long screws. In the Lib/Legacy, the rear windows go down on an angle and dont go near the speakers but in the front the windows go down straight. Some speakers do go quite deep. I think around 40mm depth should clear, well thats what the stock one seems to be anyway.

My speakers are deep and they still clear with about 15mm to spare and I just used some screws that were a little shorter than the depth of the speaker.

#26 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

not much point putting good speakers in the rear doors unless you have passengers at lot of the time. sound stage is up the front.

MY07 GT spec B

#27 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

http://www.wrx.com.a...ce_Template.pdf

and

http://www.wrx.com.a...ce_Template.pdf

this is for impreza, might work with liberty..

Do not work - I tried, and failed with the Impreza template.

I got some 6.5" spacers of some dude in the US (was a long time ago, maybe off SL-i.net I think...) for like $20 a pair.
Finally got off my arse and fitted them a couple of months ago, fitted like a glove and took the DD midbass with minor trimming of the I.D.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#28 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

i just took out the existing plastic bracket and used that as a template to cut out the mdf...
easier to drill the holes for the same screw position into the door and hole for the speaker as well
then just a couple more little cuts and trims when you fit it to clear the door trim...then all done...did it all last year

Did the same for my lib with 12mm MDF front and rear...

I managed to keep my template and did the same in my foz

#29 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Just digging this up again. I found some adapters on US ebay that say for 1995+ Legacy models. Did the BD/BG Liberty's have the same speaker fitment as the later BH/BE?

Think I will get these :) ==> http://www.ebay.com....984.m1423.l2649

#30 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

I found (and bought) some BE/BH specific ones about a year ago that look the same as those.
Had to trim the inside a few mm to fit the D.D's, but they bolted onto the door pretty spot-on.

#31 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

I found (and bought) some BE/BH specific ones about a year ago that look the same as those.
Had to trim the inside a few mm to fit the D.D's, but they bolted onto the door pretty spot-on.

Thanks Bob. What did you use to trim the plastic? DD?

#32 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

Jigsaw on slow with a saw made for plastic (came in a kit of blades I got).

D.D = Digital Designs.

#33 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

6.5" mb quarts front and back (not by choice but got them for my 21st a while back)

I made a compass cutter for the router to cut perfect circles - so i made spacers out of 12mm mdf. Worked perfectly.

#34 emjaaaay

emjaaaay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

I did my doors on the full dodgy, took the stock ones out which are part of the mount, got a hacksaw and cut the original speaker out and screwed the new speakers into the stock mould

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users