Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

hi.

buy it already fast. much less pain and work in the long, unless you want it that way.

i've done both, both fun but i'm over modding cars now..

This!

Or wait till you are ready to do the conversion, then start spending money, otherwise you risk loosing interest and having useless parts sitting around.

This is what happened with my mini, started it for when I got my ps and I'm now 24 and stripping it back to bare metal to start again because my end goal has changed after a long dormant period!

Posted Image

#22 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

This is what happened with my mini, started it for when I got my ps and I'm now 24 and stripping it back to bare metal to start again because my end goal has changed after a long dormant period!

It's still your project though, correct?

So one could argue that, even though you've decided to go a different direction, and start again with anEJ25 a completely different end goal, you are still building the original project.

Why did you start again?

Because you love that car I bet. It holds a sentimental value to you that noone else will understand. And when you're driving it, you will be able to tell people "I built this"

Lawyered.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#23 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

gen1 + 257 + 20g + gearset/box = win.... :D

Stuff goes here

#24 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

Shaz, not arguing there, just pointing out that losing interest could be a big possibility! Just stating something I've learnt :) by all means start projects, but bear in mind some of the risks :)

And you are right, no one will ever understand your attraction!

Posted Image

#25 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:41 PM

Shaz, not arguing there, just pointing out that losing interest could be a big possibility! Just stating something I've learnt :) by all means start projects, but bear in mind some of the risks :)

And you are right, no one will ever understand your attraction!

Agree mate. There's always going to be risks.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#26 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

gen1 + 257 + 20g + gearset/box = win.... :D

This 11ty!!!!!!!!
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#27 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

Nothing wrong with conversions. But you have to pick your battles, if you like the GEN 3 shape, but want turbo, I'd sell the RX and buy a B4 that's been well looked after and preferably a few parts added.

Or an early model GEN 4 GT.

When you put it on paper, you know that's the financially smart thing to do.

If you convert a car, you need to be committed to owning it for a long time, otherwise you spend twice as much as what it's worth.

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#28 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

i did a conversion a few years back
gen2 liberty with the works v7 sti motor, 6 speed brembos, sti interior, all the legacy panels etc etc was a great car was quick and looked awesome
spent a shitload of money tho

im one of those people that get over cars pretty quickly so i only had it for about 2years and then had a test drive in a bug sti, the car was stock and was so so much better to drive, ended up picking one up with 80k on it stock for less than what i payed for the conversion

my opinion is if you love your car and want to convert that then do so but be prepared to spend twice as much as a standard turbo liberty
a few other things is you will have to get it engineered to do it properly too

also if you bought a b4 not only would it be cheaper in the long run you get all the factory options and everything works, you can still add all the legacy gear too it and single turbo it etc, changing an engine is so much easier than a full conversion

i have done 2 conversions and helped out with a few, at the end of the day the only reason i did it was because gen2 libertys arent turbod in aus and i always wanted one, gen3's came turbo's standard :) id just put a 6speed and ej257 in a b4 add a few legacy bits and be done with it if i were you

#29 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

I'd keep the B4 stockish, maybe go single in the long run. Can't go wrong with something that comes factory turbo'd versus a converted RX.

I'm converting a little JDM Civic (Yeah...I know it's a Honda) but it's a tiny little car, and the engine and parts I'm getting are cheap as chips, I didn't try and convert any of my N/A Subarus, mainly cos I've always seen it as throwing money away. And Subaru's are a lot nicer factory, b4 comes stock with leather interior, can't argue with that.

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#30 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:54 PM

Its a hobby.
And if you're doing to amuse yourself don't worry about the money. Not everything has to be a financial proposition. Otherwise we'd all eat poridge and play chess.

Do some research, find out how engines work and build something unique. The more you understand they more enjoyable it is. Physically screwing a motor together isn't hard. If you can build a computer you can build a motor.

So if you really really want to build a motor. Start googling stuff.
I suggest looking into how the geometry of the motor effects its running. How different metal urgy and component construction effects the running of an engine for a start.
TSM

#31 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:42 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess it's all about weighing up:

A. Build car my self.. expensive, but great experience, you get more out of it.
B. Don't bother, save up and buy factory turbo vehicle. Less hassle, better in the long term, but not the same as homebuilt b00st.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#32 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

Who says they're better?
You'll be buying second hand a I presume. Which means you're buying someone else's problems. If you rebuild an engine, even to standard specs its still new. And if you do it yourself its pretty damned cheap too.
TSM

#33 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

If you buy a factory turbo car your still going to put an exhuast on it, upgrade intercoolers and turbo, intakes, injectors and ecu if you go all out. then theirs all the stuff you'll break an have to fix along the way. The door only just opens when you buy a turbo'd car :) still lots of fun to be had modding and fixing!

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#34 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

Who says they're better?
You'll be buying second hand a I presume. Which means you're buying someone else's problems. If you rebuild an engine, even to standard specs its still new. And if you do it yourself its pretty damned cheap too.

I guess in my case I'll be basing everything on my current 99 RX?

If you buy a factory turbo car your still going to put an exhuast on it, upgrade intercoolers and turbo, intakes, injectors and ecu if you go all out. then theirs all the stuff you'll break an have to fix along the way. The door only just opens when you buy a turbo'd car :) still lots of fun to be had modding and fixing!

That's true too.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#35 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

+1, i totally agree. It's not like just coz you bought an already turboed car your not going to do anything else to it. There are PLENTY of mods you can still do and plenty of money to spend.

Not only does the B4 have a turbo motor standard but there are lots of other factory options your getting as well which are pretty cool.

My sedan is only converted as there was no gen 2 sedan's available in turbo and i really wanted that shape. if there was a factory turbo variant of it i would have just bought that and spent all the extra money on other mods to it. you have the luxury that there is a gen 3 turbo available. Basically you'd be reinventing the wheel.

I definitely understand those guys who are handy and can do all the work themselves and like the personal satisfaction of doing it but if you were going to pay to have it done or are just doing it for so that you can keep the car you’ve grown attached to them I’d be seriously considering just upgrading to a B4 or GT-B. Just depends on who you are

Carefully consider ALL of your options, cost each option out and review ALL pro’s and con’s of each option before you commit to either. With the right planning and research it will be easy for you to make the right decision that suits your situation, budget and timeline, be it conversion or upgrade

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#36 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

The biggest PRO of building a motor, is that you can use quality components. This is the single biggest down fall of factory motors.
Personally I wouldn't buy a B4, but thats purely down to personal opinion. There is just far too many reported failures for my liking. Not just little things giving up but complete terminal engine failure.
TSM

#37 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for the tips Aek, I can see where your coming from and will take that onboard too.

But what does a B4 have over my RX? Leather seats? They are very much the same car, in terms of being a "car". Unless you look under the hood, they are both identical (well not identical but you know what I mean.)

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#38 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

I'm assuming you would have to buy all the bits and pieces that normally come with turbo motors, and an ecu and stuff? Just a wild guess but maybe that's what he means.

Posted Image

#39 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

At the end of the day, the B4 is designed for a turbo motor.
The RX is not.

Cheers,
Shazza

#40 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

At the end of the day, the B4 is designed for a turbo motor.
The RX is not.

Cheers,
Shazza

But that's the point right? Spend the next few years making it a B4, your very own version of a B4.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users