43 replies to this topic

#1 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hey Everyone,

My google skills are failing me at the moment and i am unable to find out what the std turbos are on the MY02 Aus delivered B4.

If anyone knows i would appreciate the knowledge :)

Also if anyone knows of compressor maps for them that would be awesome!

Thanks

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

IHI VF 32 (Secondary)
IHI VF 33 (Primary)

RHF4 Family

PRIMARY
Manufacturer IHI
Turbocharger Type VF 33
Turbine Blade no. 9
Compressor Blade no. 6 + 6
Turbine Rotor Size 46.5mm / 35.4mm
Compressor Rotor Size 47mm / 35.4mm
Max. Turbine Speed 190000 rpm
Wastegate Port Diaphragm 17mm
Wastegate Open Press. 78 kPa
Intercept Point 1900rpm @ 760mmHg
A/R Ratio 11
Bearing Type Floating Metal

SECONDARY
Manufacturer IHI
Turbocharger Type VF32
Turbine Blade no. 9
Compressor Blade no. 10
Turbine Rotor Size 46.5mm / 35.4mm
Compressor Rotor Size 52.5mm / 36.6mm
Max. Turbine Speed 180000RPM
Wastegate Open Press. N/A
Intercept Point N/A
A/R Ratio 18
Bearing Type Floating Metal

Posted Image

Posted Image

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:55 AM

Champion! Thank you for that

Is there a trick to reading that compressor map? Its not like the one i have normally seen. Im struggling to work out how you see efficiency on that :S Unable to find any others on the net too

#4 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:12 AM

What are the standard turbos on a B4?

In one word?

Crap!

converttosingleturbo.com

#5 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

No Way...

The Tune is crap on the B4's the setup is clever. Just needs some tinkering.

If you want to have some power from just over 2k then the b4 is awesome, if you want to have nothing until 3500-4000 then get an sti (used o have one :P) and do that... I found the B4 to be a great compromise between driveability and a bit of go. Went with the B4 for more of a luxury cause i have a gc8 track car, so figured id have something a bit nicer for the road.

#6 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

my focus comes on boost from 1500rpm

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#7 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

but its a focus.....
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#8 Grant

Grant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

but its a focus.....

But it's freakin awesome...

#9 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

but its a focus.....

But it's freakin awesome...

Its a focus with a Volvo engine and its still ****...

No Way...

The Tune is crap on the B4's the setup is clever. Just needs some tinkering.

If you want to have some power from just over 2k then the b4 is awesome, if you want to have nothing until 3500-4000 then get an sti (used o have one :P) and do that... I found the B4 to be a great compromise between driveability and a bit of go. Went with the B4 for more of a luxury cause i have a gc8 track car, so figured id have something a bit nicer for the road.

A true B4 owner...the TT's are clever setup just the tune kills them...other wise a top car the Gen3 B4
Posted Image

#10 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

See a trend here?

People who have had formerly TT's, who've converted to single turbo (or bought single turbo cars) except for one stubborn prick, advocate that the TT system is fundamentally flawed.

They're simply too complicated.

It's not just the tune that is problematic. It's that they're such a complicated and fussy system, where one little valve or vacuum line fails, and the car turns into a Trabant to drive.

They're "tolerable" to drive standard, but as soon as you start to modify them for power, they become infinitely complicated, and no longer are suited for the average tweaker or punter.

You need to become incredibly tolerant, incredibly wealthy, and incredibly wacky to modify and make power from a TT.

Mate, I know first hand.

Been there, done that.

Oh and Jovan. Shane's Focus will hand either of your B4's mismatched backyard panelbeated a55 on a silver platter.
Game over.

#11 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

I fear I have started a flame war- it wasnt my intention. :negative:

Just getting a bit sick of coming onto subyclub and reading about focus's. The Focus RS is awesome. The others arent much chop in my eyes.

The TT has its place with the B4. Although you guys with singles hang **** on it, its got character! :sarcastic: When it works well, it is a fun car. I drive around town under 3k and it still gives you a push in the back.

Would be nice to see a TT thread REMAIN a TT thread and not have mind numbing "go single bro" posts by the same people every.....single.....time. (pun intended)
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#12 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hahaha, I will give you that they did over complicate the system.

1 point i will stand on though... If you are wanting to get a car to mod it and make lots of power, you would NOT get a TT... The point of the TT is to provide some torque and power over a larger rev range, which is exactly why i got it :) So i would have response and some power from 2k rather than 3.5k in the wrx.

But for a car to mod and try to make big numbers, it would be silly to do. Could be done though!

#13 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

Nicely said Shadoxity, I like the twins to be honest. If I wanted something insane I would have bought an old WRX lol, but I can see the appeal of turning a B4 into a single turbo monster. It is getting retarded how every thread that comes up mentions the conversion though.

B4 is still quicker than a lot of cars on the road, and the low down torque is immediately noticeable between my mates MY00 WRX and my Auto B4.

#14 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

Champion! Thank you for that

Is there a trick to reading that compressor map? Its not like the one i have normally seen. Im struggling to work out how you see efficiency on that :S Unable to find any others on the net too

No trick. It's just a basic map of pressure vs flow, it doesn't show efficiency ranges. That is the only map you will find on the net too.

#15 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

No trick. It's just a basic map of pressure vs flow, it doesn't show efficiency ranges. That is the only map you will find on the net too.

Thanks for that Acres,

Yea i havent been able to find any other ones on the net :( Bugger, oh well guess ill just have to do trial and error with the turbos then :) hahaha

#16 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

See a trend here?

People who have had formerly TT's, who've converted to single turbo (or bought single turbo cars) except for one stubborn prick, advocate that the TT system is fundamentally flawed.

They're simply too complicated.

It's not just the tune that is problematic. It's that they're such a complicated and fussy system, where one little valve or vacuum line fails, and the car turns into a Trabant to drive.

They're "tolerable" to drive standard, but as soon as you start to modify them for power, they become infinitely complicated, and no longer are suited for the average tweaker or punter.

You need to become incredibly tolerant, incredibly wealthy, and incredibly wacky to modify and make power from a TT.

Mate, I know first hand.

Been there, done that.

Oh and Jovan. Shane's Focus will hand either of your B4's mismatched backyard panelbeated a55 on a silver platter.
Game over.

All this from a guy that had his car converted to single turbo and then bag out the work was **** etc etc... and my car being backyard well its my car not yours ive done everything to my car fix it from being smashed to painting may not be professional but its good enough for me, also done many other things.

What have you done? oh Wait **** all because you don't know how to do anything yourself except paid others to do it for you and then give advice to others and bag out the people who did the work for you...But Alex you are nothing but a keyboard warrior you have a big mouth here but at the monthly meets you keep it shut...
Posted Image

#17 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

Is that a set of Gen4 wheels on your B4 Shadoxity? Got a bigger picture? I have a shopping list for mine.. just need the money. I am not chasing power figures though. Especially cause' mine is an Auto, it was bought for cruising around - and the work run. And it does that magnificently. My new boss loves it :P (he used to track wrx).

I wont be touching the motor itself, my stock MY03 B4 tune seems to be ok - has not pinged on me yet since I bought in the warmer months. Possibly because mine is an Auto, but the VOD isn't really noticeable. I don't drive it that hard though.

#18 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

Is that a set of Gen4 wheels on your B4 Shadoxity? From the little profile picture they look pretty nice on it. I have a shopping list for mine but it equates to a scary figure (probably like $3k worth of mods), I am not chasing huge power numbers though, wont be touching the motor itself, especially being that mine is an Auto, it was bought for cruising around - and the work run. And it does that magnificently. My new boss loves it :P

It sure is a set of Gen4 wheels.
They suit it much better than the BBS stuff hahaha.

Here is a bigger pic http://a1.sphotos.ak...5_6635083_n.jpg

My shopping list is going to start up after i have cleared debts by the end of the year :)

But i think ill pretty much be doing an exhaust and then retune and pretty much be done with it (i say that now... lol)

I am tuning it at the moment and even though im only part way though (finding time where i can) It is SOOO much better than the standard tune already :D

#19 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:48 PM

Damn I edited my post as you were posting!

I was just going to get some wheels from a wrecker (wouldn't bother but mine are gutter rash central) I have STi springs already, then I want to get the exhaust making more of a boxer rumble... also it is looking like I will need to replace the brant - mines a bit weird atm. But yeah, I wont be going nuts, will be saving that for the 07/08 GT I want to upgrade to. Funds did not allow it, without a massive loan, but I still got a turbo liberty and it makes me smile every time I drive it, that is all that matters to me - that I am happy driving it.

Also, does anyone know the standard turbo in the MY00 WRX (not STi, not bugeye). I thought it was TD04, just that my mate wants to know.

#20 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Nice one :) Yea i enjoy driving this :D

The std turbo is a TD04 from the wrx. (I actually have one sitting in my garage haha) its the same on both the auto and manual.

The B4 actually feels like a smaller car, and feels like more of a sporty car than the MY05 sti that i had. that thing just felt huge and clunky!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users