#21 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

I don't think they're 50/50 mate.
I'll have to hunt around to confirm. But i believe they're 40/60.

The Auto's supposedly run 90/10 when just cruising down a high way.
But when you accelerate the center diff locks up (In my car you can feel the thud as it does so.) and the ratio changes to 40/60. IIRC in anycase.

GenIII manual - 50/50 split FTW. I gots one so I knows it rheeeel well like. It's the same for GENIV I believe.

Autos - 90/10 will stay in place until the fronts break traction and then power is delivered to the wheels that can grip and only those wheels. It's part of their "Symetrical AWD" catch phrase/system.
Having said that, I'm not sure if this applies to early GenIII's or earlier generations.

#22 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

"magna in the US is called a dimante (sp).." Diamante :P there are a few countries who use this name. Lots of them imported into New Zealand.

#23 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

GenIII manual - 50/50 split FTW. I gots one so I knows it rheeeel well like. It's the same for GENIV I believe.

It's still not fully 50/50, put it on a dyno and it'll show you otherwise. :P
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon EOS 5D Mark | Canon 1D Mark III
16-35mm f/2.8L |24-70mm f/2.8L
85mm f/1.2L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 580EX-II | 430EX-II x2 | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

#24 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

If it were 50/50 the thing wouldn't turn around. It would be like being in a Landcruiser with the hubs locked. That's why i think they're more like 40/60. More rear bias assists in reducing the turning circle.
TSM

#25 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:26 PM

If it were 50/50 the thing wouldn't turn around.
It would be like being in a Landcruiser with the hubs locked.

That's why i think they're more like 40/60.
More rear bias assists in reducing the turning circle.

That's just front and rear power apportionment, it doesn't dictate left and right lock (which is the reference to locked hubs).

It's more like 60/40 front/rear bias on the dyno - try it and find out for yourself.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon EOS 5D Mark | Canon 1D Mark III
16-35mm f/2.8L |24-70mm f/2.8L
85mm f/1.2L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 580EX-II | 430EX-II x2 | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

#26 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

I've always been under the impression WRX's (or they're gearbox for that matter) are more rear biased. I've seen a few launch, and they always seem to spin the rear wheels before the fronts. Regardless of the surface they're on. What I mean by the locked hubs is, if you have even torque split between front and rear, and you don't have an open diff in at least one end. The gearbox/drive line will bind. Being that a Subaru is constant AWD, and I've seen this with a DCCD gearboxes. The closer the bias split gets to neutral the harder it gets to turn the car sharply without getting a pretty ordinary vibration through the car. I'm not 100% certain on this, but its the best I can fathom to describe my theory anyway.
TSM

#27 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

go look at my post with the suby awd system thats wat i was talkin about
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users