31 replies to this topic

#1 michael_pannone

michael_pannone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

Hey everybody,

I need help! I have recently installed blue leds in my foot wells, when installing them i ran my wires from the roof dome light so that they would turn on when the doors are opened and car is unlocked etc. When i wired up the wires to the light and tested it before completing the job all was working fine, then i stupidly left the battery connected and cut down the length of wire that was running from the dome light. When i did this, it all went wrong :(
Now the roof dome light doesnt turn off when the doors are closed, so it is constantly on when switched to 'door' and 'on' it only turns off when the switch is turned to 'off'.
I have checked the interior light, clock and head unit fuse located in the engine bay and it is fine. The open door signal on the dash says that all the doors are closed. I also checked the door light assembly, disconnected the led wires and it is all normal but the stupid light still wont turn off when the doors are closed!... so that i know of, its not the fuse, its not the door switches, its not the dome light assembly. Anyone have any ideas of what else it could be? Is there a system that controls the door light that i dont know of? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My car is a 2000 Outback btw.

Its driving me insane! :P
cheers,
Michael

#2 Start

Start

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

LOL does your key-barrel light stay on too?

I remember morgan having the same issue... OUTBACK!

shoot him a message - http://www.subyclub....ser/223-morgan/

#3 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

Morgan will hopefully see this and be a help as I'm pretty sure the same thing happened to him.
When I did mine, my multimeter slipped and touched the frame of the car on the a-pillar and blew a fuse... Replaced fuse and all good.
Did you check the fuses under the dash? On the right hand side near your right knee?

Sam
[03.SUBY]

#4 michael_pannone

michael_pannone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hey Start, yes my key barrel light (light ring around where the key goes?) works, and lights up.

Hey Sam, no i havnt checked those fuses, i will give it a try, but im assuming that a fuse wont be the problem as the light still turns on, just doesnt go off when in 'door' and 'on' position.

Thanks for the quick replies :)

#5 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

FAR OUT!!! This is EXACTLY what happened to me! As soon as I trimmed those wires (after making sure it was all working) it all went pear shaped.

I've been in contact with a guy on Rexnet who had the same issue and appparently we need a new 'central locking control box'. He picked one up from the wreckers for $40 which isnt too bad. The unit is located behind the glove box and has some numbers on it. You need to get one with the exact same numbers on it otherwise your central locking will not work.

Good luck with it mate. I've had to put up with no 'door' setting for about 12 months now and gotten used to it.

My solution - sell car, buy new one with a working dome light :P

IM47Gcv.jpg

#6 michael_pannone

michael_pannone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

FARRRRK!

What a *****! That pisses me off just a little bit, no so much that the door lights dont work, but the fact that i put in all that effort to make the leds foot well lights turn on with the door switch and now its all for nothing. Should have just wired it up to a constant 12v supply instead of trying to be a smart ass and be fancy with it :P

o well, life goes on, ill look into getting a new 'central locking control box'... oh joy :(

Thanks for that information Morgan, saves me alot of piss farting about.

cheers

#7 michael_pannone

michael_pannone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:59 PM

Oh Btw, do you rekon there would be any chance of repairing the control box instead of forking out money for a new one?

#8 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

Know how you feel!

I spent a whole afternoon wiring through the roof, making sure they were all soldered neatly, wires down the A pillar joined up behind the ciggy lighter and dispursed to each footwell.

All for nothing!

Oh Btw, do you rekon there would be any chance of repairing the control box instead of forking out money for a new one?

If it's screwed, can't see how it could hurt!

Open it up, see what fried itself and see if you can fix it. Keep us updated!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#9 michael_pannone

michael_pannone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

Will do.
One more question, if i take out or replace the unit, will i need to re configure the central locking, new codes? anything else that needs to be done? or is it just a matter of replace and go?

#10 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

From what I've been told, if the numbers on the unit are exactly the same, you just have to plug it in and it will work :)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#11 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

take a pic of it, and let me know the codes on it i have a heap of them here they might match

you will most probably have to setup the key again, takes 2mins just a sequence of pressing buttons/ ignition on-off etc

#12 michael_pannone

michael_pannone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:54 PM

Is this what the control unit looks like? Just took a quick photo with my iphone then (sorry about the quality)
This is the only unit underneath the passenger side behind the glove box that had numbers and writing on it (Wasnt a detailed look).

Attached File  IMG_01301.JPG   1.08MB   7 downloads

If this is the unit, then the picture below will show you all the numbers on it, not sure which numbers correspond to the code that i should be looking for...

Code should be shown on this photo?

Attached File  IMG_01291.JPG   964.03KB   6 downloads

#13 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

Ahahahahah Sorry, this is too funny.. (that you did the same thing morgs did)
I just did the constant 12v trick.. i wanted it to fade but now that i have it the way it is.. im quite happy with it.. hope you get this sorted mate.

If all else fails.. go grab the dimmer circuit from a Gen2 roof light
The Gen2 roof lights have all the dimmer circuit built in.. only difference will be it wont light up when you unlock the car, until you open the doors. and then has a 15 second fade when the doors are closed.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#14 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:51 AM

Have you considered just running the lights off a relay connected to the door switches? They won't dim, but at least you'll have a working door light again.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#15 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

LEDs make baby Jesus cry.

And now baby Jesus is going to make you cry.

Posted Image

Get rid of the LEDs.

Burn them.

Then p1ss on the ashes.

Thank me later.

#16 michael_pannone

michael_pannone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

just tried wiring up the leds to the door switch, but its a no go... the wires that go to the door switch are only 9v which is to low turn on the lights... back to the drawing board i guess.
can anyone identify the central locking control unit for me? would be a great help.
cheers

#17 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

the wires that go to the door switch are only 9v which is to low turn on the lights...

This would be from the control unit.
Its holding a reference voltage in the line and when it 'sees' this line get pulled to ground, it turns on the light.

If you wire a LED (its a diode so it will only allow current to flow in one direction) to this line the control unit may freak out.

Wait... will freak out.

TBH I agree with Alex.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#18 michael_pannone

michael_pannone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

Anyone know of any other wires that i can splice intp that gain a 12v power when doors are unlocked/ open?

Better yet, i would love for someone to point me into the right direction as to what the central locking control unit looks like/ were it is/ is that it in the picture above :P
cheers

#19 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

I know it's behind the glove box towards the top left if that helps. Not exactly sure what it looks like myself.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#20 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:43 PM

I learnt from alex, I took all my LEDs out of my car, except the rear number plate light and interior light which are both white.
Too much hassle.
[03.SUBY]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users