• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

Where did you get the braided lines from mate? I've ways been scared to buy them cos I don't want a dodgy set.

you've already got braided on the rears, i had them made up.

you should be able to go to any local brake shop and get two front lines made up. should be around $100 mark. specify for 02 STi, that way it will have the right clips for your struts.

MY07 GT spec B

#22 XT_for_me

XT_for_me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Boost! Oh, and stopping too

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

What is it you are trying to achieve Shiv?

Better cold braking at low speed, Better fade resistance....etc.

Good question

I would make sure the system is in tip top order before deciding to upgrade. Like Ty mentioned new fluid is a great start.

Remember that if you can already get the ABS to kick in without too much trouble, you are approaching the maximum braking that the system will handle.

This is true. If you can lock the wheel, or have the ABS kick in hard under good traction conditions then your brakes are generating all the torque you can use. The question is can they do that two or three times running or do they start to fade, or even fade badly? The factory brakes will only fade a little after two or three hard stops from say 100kmh if they are in good nick, so maybe just a bit of an overhaul will do what you need? New fluid, pads, and maybe a machine of the rotors.

Ty, I have trouble with how 4 pots will improve fade resistance and feel when looking at specs, the pad and piston area are similar.

Multi pot calipers improve fade resistance by providing a more even distribution of the pad pressure than single pot calipers. Larger multi pot calipers of course have larger pads as well.

I think the best way to improve braking is to increase the mean rotor diameter while keeping the everything else close to stock.
Maybe investigate the larger diameter rotors from the GenIV range.

Increasing rotor diameter means the actual pad friction can be less to generate the same braking torque so in general terms less pedal pressure is required. However there are all sorts of factors that change with bigger rotors such has the thermal capacity and cooling capability which both increase.

Also, pad choice makes a huge difference.

The pad material can be chosen to operate at different temperatures. Racing pads are nearly useless on the street because they never warm up to operating temperature, and cool before the next brake application. The friction level they provide when cold is very low so the driver just about needs 2 feet on the pedal to stop. OEM pads are the reverse. Useless on a track because they are always to hot, and fade is constantly occurring. The trick is to pick pads with the right operating temperature range to suit your usage.

The stock brakes on my n/a are really very good and I see no reason to change anything.
You have to be driving like a noob before they start to give up.

Of course! Unless you happen to drive down a lot of hills, tow a heavy load etc.
Because stopping never optional.

KiDo Racing Big Brake Kits and Coilover Suspension

Posted Image

#23 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

you've already got braided on the rears, i had them made up.

you should be able to go to any local brake shop and get two front lines made up. should be around $100 mark. specify for 02 STi, that way it will have the right clips for your struts.

No way?? Are you sure!? I have never noticed hahaha

Posted Image

#24 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

No way?? Are you sure!? I have never noticed hahaha

yep definitely sure :)

MY07 GT spec B

#25 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

Well there ya go!

Posted Image

#26 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

You could look in the online catalouges Shiv.

Most will have specs.

BTW, when was the Gen5 released??

end 2009 MY10

MY07 GT spec B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users