37 replies to this topic

#21 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

Hey mate, i would give these guys a call when you look at buying something seriously.
http://www.stateroads.com.au/

they do an awesome job.. here's an example of a Mazda i looked at and thought was fine!
even had Mazda dealer check the car and i was just a tad cautious..

Attached File  250315 mazda 3.pdf   103.46KB   16 downloads
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#22 Boostconvert

Boostconvert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Yep chopped by Adam through twisties near Yass ;) and any where else we drove really ha ha.

I don't want to rush into buying this so if I have to save a lite extra for the 04 05 that's no problem.

Redbook is putting the price at $25k for an 05 sti with 100,000ks. Is that about right?

I would like some thing with a bit less k's like 70k or 80k if
possible. Guess I'll have to wait and see

#23 Boostconvert

Boostconvert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

Wow worth the money. Bit pricy for the full check at $300 but what it would save you if you bought a lemon.

#24 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

A mate of mine is trying to sell his pignose STI currently as he moved to the Uk, 120k, with a freshly build bottom end, built and tuned by MSR. His got $34k on it now and hasn't had any intrest so your at the right time to buy.

The engines are tough as nails in the bug eye and peanut eye STI's aslong as their close to stock and been well looked after 100k would be good. You'll probably never break a gearbox or diff.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#25 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:41 PM

On Snowboards and Foz's? :sarcastic:

haha yeah something like that :P

Redbook is putting the price at $25k for an 05 sti with 100,000ks. Is that about right?

Exactly. As I’ve said previously in this thread, I really don’t see the need to pay new car prices on a vehicle that’s 6+ years old. You can find excellent examples in the price range you mentioned. Pm scott and he might tell you how much he paid (or ball park) for a stunning MINT LOW KM HAWKEYE. In the end of the day you need to do your homework and make the decision you feel is right for you etc but I have to say, i feel strongly that for between 25-30k you can get an extremely nice and good condition peanut sti.

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#26 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

They are all crap. Stick with the ute!

Then i won't want/need to upgrade!

Posted Image

#27 Boostconvert

Boostconvert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:06 PM

A mate of mine is trying to sell his pignose STI currently as he moved to the Uk, 120k, with a freshly build bottom end, built and tuned by MSR. His got $34k on it now and hasn't had any intrest so your at the right time to buy.

The engines are tough as nails in the bug eye and peanut eye STI's aslong as their close to stock and been well looked after 100k would be good. You'll probably never break a gearbox or diff.

Sounds good, is there any info on it on here?

haha yeah something like that :P

Exactly. As I’ve said previously in this thread, I really don’t see the need to pay new car prices on a vehicle that’s 6+ years old. You can find excellent examples in the price range you mentioned. Pm scott and he might tell you how much he paid (or ball park) for a stunning MINT LOW KM HAWKEYE. In the end of the day you need to do your homework and make the decision you feel is right for you etc but I have to say, i feel strongly that for between 25-30k you can get an extremely nice and good condition peanut sti.

My thoughts exactly I will just have to keep my eye out and wait for the one I want to pop up for the right price :yahoo:

Do the hawkeye Sti's have electronic throttle control? I know my ute does and it feels like it has to think about how far you pushed the throttle in before it goes... oh yeah thats right you wanted to take off now. I didn't really like that. Could be better in Subarus though.

They are all crap. Stick with the ute!

Then i won't want/need to upgrade!

ha ha its ok I will let you drive it... P.s the ute is shit, so sick of the Ford/Commodore cars! So cheap and for good reason. :diablo:

#28 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

Do the hawkeye Sti's have electronic throttle control? I know my ute does and it feels like it has to think about how far you pushed the throttle in before it goes... oh yeah thats right you wanted to take off now. I didn't really like that. Could be better in Subarus though.

yeah the hawkeye has drive by wire. i've got it in my foz and personally dont have an issue with it. i know scott has said his sti is very responsive with dbw as well. you can always get an aftermarket throttle controller to help speed it up a bit if you hate it that much

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#29 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

My drive by wire is perfect :) you can tune it if it's laggy tho,

You could get a high km pignose for your price range or a mint low km bug or peanut eye

I've had both and the pignose is so so much better in everyway :)

I got my 06 sti with 30k on it of an old bloke for low 30's but that was after haggling it down 8k :)

#30 Boostconvert

Boostconvert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

My drive by wire is perfect :) you can tune it if it's laggy tho,

You could get a high km pignose for your price range or a mint low km bug or peanut eye

I've had both and the pignose is so so much better in everyway :)

I got my 06 sti with 30k on it of an old bloke for low 30's but that was after haggling it down 8k :)

must just be my crappy Fail-con then :dash2: ha ha

I don't think I go much on the look of the bug eye, and I have read that they were softened for the USDM with smaller injectors and other things, (not sure if that goes for the sti also). I do however want the lower K's so I think it will be the peanut at the moment.

What kind of things make your Hawk eye that much better??

#31 Boostconvert

Boostconvert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

This just popped up, wonder why its so cheap??

http://www.uniquecarsales.com.au/pls/unique/!unique_content.enquiry?current_rec=1&page_number=1&vehicle_id=10036410&total_rec=1&sort_type=1&ucategory_id=8&make_id=14&model_id=101&badge_id_list=50153&year_min=2003&year_max=2007&price_max=30000&km_max=80000&trans_id=2&state_id=2&keywords=wrx&photo_flag=1

#32 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

hawk eye has the 2.5L motor, dccd gearbox, the late peanut eyes have dccd but they are not as good, bigger hubs, there is more but i cant remember

after owning a 2L sti, the 2.5 is just so much more drivable on and off boost, the 2L's are awesome motors tho and are a fair bit stronger than the 2.5L motors

#33 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

2.5 is a waaay better daily driver, torque down low just makes them easier to drive, whack a decent turbo on (td0520g+) and they have epic top end. however the EJ207 is still an epic motor, great stock strength and can rev the bejesus out of it!

05 STi is the pick for your price range, 5x114.3 hubs, dccd, EJ207, brembos etc etc.

i had this tuned out of mine, big big difference. response is now instant and tuning options are endless.

MY07 GT spec B

#34 Boostconvert

Boostconvert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Ha ha if I could fork out for the 2.5 sti hawk eye I don't think that I would be modding it lol anytime soon.

Alexxx do you have a wrx or an sti?

I haven't driven a wrx so I don't know how they go is there a big difference between the two power wise?

#35 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

Ha ha if I could fork out for the 2.5 sti hawk eye I don't think that I would be modding it lol anytime soon.

Alexxx do you have a wrx or an sti?

I haven't driven a wrx so I don't know how they go is there a big difference between the two power wise?

WRX. There is a big difference power wise because the STi has a bigger turbo and intercooler to suit from the factory.

I've swapped out both these and now has much more power than a standard STi. They are effectively the same motor with different bolt ons.

only difference is in the compression ratio at 8.2 for the WRX and 8.0 for the STi, which is achieved by using slightly different piston design (not core structure only crown design).

MY07 GT spec B

#36 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

What about cams Alex

Posted Image

#37 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

What about cams Alex

both have variable valve timing on intake ONLY. as far as profiles go i'm pretty sure its negligible because they certainly aren't sought after. as i've seen identical setups (turbo, cooler etc) and pull the same power figures.

wrx has high CR which gives it a little nicer response off boost also.

MY07 GT spec B

#38 Boostconvert

Boostconvert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

Ah so might be an idea to look at the wrx and do the turbo and intercooler. I would have preferred the wagon anyway ;).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users