#21 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

Alexxxx, you still put chains on?

Awesome pic!

100kph winds, over 50cm of snow, absolute ZERO visibility. yes i did. only on the way down, the way up it was crab walking, no brakes (slightest pressure on brake pedal would activate ABS which is useless on snow) driving on 15cm snow as if it were an offroad track. There were 7 accidents that I saw on the way up. A brand new X6M off the edge, rear end written off. X1 off into a guard rail. A rav4 stopped in the middle of the road on an uphill stuck. and the list goes on! dodgy as driving, with chains on the way down it was an absolute breeze the conditions did not let up at all.

i actually asked at the natio park entrance and was told conditions were fine, it changed a lot in 30min haha!!

MY07 GT spec B

#22 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

I'll be hiring chains if they still have these conditions next week. High perfoance tyres don't perform on cold snow ;)

Posted Image

#23 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

ah nice one! am watching now...

Piss off their mine! Lol I've bidded on 3 other sets previous to this one and and missed out... All goin for more than $150

Anyways Aek he won't ship to sydney

#24 Gambit

Gambit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

Get the auto technica versions off eBay, excellent value for money and perform exceptionally! I paid $120 for mine

#25 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Got a quote from Alex at Thule Store Botany

for these

Racks

And this Snowboard rack

prices are as is, which includes free postage, and he matches the keylocks for the racks to the snowboard extender. Called up a few local places and they could only do retail price, and wanted and extra $30-$40 to match the locks.

Works out to be about $200 more then the cheaper rhino option i was looking at. Which isn't a great deal of money really, and the genuine subaru roof racks are just re-stickered Thule racks. Paid for them over the phone half hour ago and they should be here on wednesday, can't complain about that.

Wish i looked a few week's/months ago and got a bargin like what alexxx did though.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#26 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

fark why does everything cost money :(

i have far to many things to spend it on but not enough hours to earn it. i need to make a priority list and work my way through it

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#27 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

fark why does everything cost money :(

i have far to many things to spend it on but not enough hours to earn it. i need to make a priority list and work my way through it

Tell me about it! I did 20hours overtime last week but, so i can't be bothered trying to save $100 or so. Atleast the quality is there, and now i have more of a reason to go to the snow ;)

The snowboard rack also sits up a bit higher then some of the other thule ones to give more clearence for bindings :)

#28 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

nice choice. thule gear is top notch, i am very impressed with the way it is put together very sturdy. nice clamp, i would of liked one that size but was pretty surprised how much i could fit in this one.

keyed alike is also win.

MY07 GT spec B

#29 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:18 AM

So it arrived this afternoon and I wasted no time in putting it together. very very impressed with the quality. These racks are as solid as! The instructions were really helpful aswell, they make it fool proof!

I'm really happy with the extender 739 board holder too, glad I paid the extra $30 over a fixed holder.

I haven't noticed any wind noise, at +110km, without the board on. So im really happy, I'll be contacting Alex from the store tomorrow to leave some positive feedback.

Can't Reccomend this gear enough!

#30 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

So far were in goulburn, done around 330-340km. I may have the 2 boards sitting a little forward as you can hear them whistle a bit. I can also notice a little drag. Surprisinly my fuel eccomomy is Around 10.5-10.6L/100km, I was expecting it to be in the mid 11's.

Still really happy with them :)

#31 Gambit

Gambit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

Nice, now take a photo of the setup in the snow with boards!

#32 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:12 PM

Won't be taking the car in the snow, getting the skitube from bullocks flat up.

Do have this but

Posted Image

#33 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

wow the racks are high! i put some rola racks with the snowboard attachments on mums gen 1 lib years ago and they were a much lower profile than those ones. as long as they do the job

Have fun!

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#34 Gambit

Gambit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

You will find all the new racks raise them higher so that you can double up on Ski or board with clearance to the roof line for bindings, essentially carrying twice the capacity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users