#1 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:cars cars and um more cars

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

ok guys geting my tax back. in not to long. so i figured would be a good time to start my conversion

atm i have a ej20-g turbo jdm engine thats done around 150 000 since the conversion still running fine on 12.5psi
as car will be geting pulled off the road in december for 2 years its time to start building my new engine

im wanting to acheive around 300kw at the wheels as a starting point

so ive choosen the block im going to start with

ive decided upon a EJ207 short block priced them up around the $2200
it was a toss up between the ej257 or the ej207 as the 257 has better torque. but will be going with the ej207 for the fact it will be a street track car so the higher rpm torque wont be a problem and can correct this with higher boost level

now im thinking of going with my99 heads and a cam to suit as ive been reading up they have a really good flow rate and use sodium filled valves

this will only be a week end driven car not a daily
please feel free to correct if im wrong about anything as any recomandations or idea's to improve my build would be greatly appreciated
Posted Image

#2 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

I dont think you'll get 300kw from an ej207 without Changng to aftermarket pistons and rods.

If I were doing a build like yours I'd be going for a 2.5L, might rev as hard, but will make more torque overall which will make your car faster.

Can't wait to see this unfold but

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#3 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

I think you need to start more threads to achieve 300kw's atw.

#4 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

I'll keep this short, but without more capacity you're really, REALLY going to be pushing sh*t uphill getting a 2.0L to make 300kW reliably on the street/track.

If it were me, I'd do the following:

EJ20 closed-deck block
2.2L sleeves fitted
Sleeves machined to fit 2.5L pistons
Forged pistons & rods
Crank oil phasing mods done
V5/V6 heads - ported & I'd look at fitting bigger (Ferrera) valves
ID2000 top-feed injectors (using the Carl Davey conversion kit)
Walbro in-tank fuel pump, surge tank, Bosch 044 pusher pump
Kelford or Tighe cams (I'd probably go Kelfords due to more people I've seen running them)
Symms Power equal length headers - these, unlike GT Specs, are PROPER equal length and proper pipe ID to suit exhaust ports
Decent aftermarket sump
Start thinking about a twin-plenum intake or a custom intake manifold
Full-frame Garrett GTX turbo (GT35R/GT40)

Lots and lots and lots and lots of other stuff I haven't listed, though. You're talking about a $30-$40k package by the time it's actually turning the tyres.

If I were you, I'd stick with the EJ20G for as long as possible, then jam in an EJ207 with V3/V4 STi heads and a VF23/VF34P20 and whip that for a while as you build up the monster 2.5
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#5 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

I dont think you'll get 300kw from an ej207 without Changng to aftermarket pistons and rods.

If I were doing a build like yours I'd be going for a 2.5L, might rev as hard, but will make more torque overall which will make your car faster.

Can't wait to see this unfold but

yeah thats what i was thinking also nothing is set in concreate as of yet
Posted Image

#6 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

I'll keep this short, but without more capacity you're really, REALLY going to be pushing sh*t uphill getting a 2.0L to make 300kW reliably on the street/track.

If it were me, I'd do the following:

EJ20 closed-deck block
2.2L sleeves fitted
Sleeves machined to fit 2.5L pistons
Forged pistons & rods
Crank oil phasing mods done
V5/V6 heads - ported & I'd look at fitting bigger (Ferrera) valves
ID2000 top-feed injectors (using the Carl Davey conversion kit)
Walbro in-tank fuel pump, surge tank, Bosch 044 pusher pump
Kelford or Tighe cams (I'd probably go Kelfords due to more people I've seen running them)
Symms Power equal length headers - these, unlike GT Specs, are PROPER equal length and proper pipe ID to suit exhaust ports
Decent aftermarket sump
Start thinking about a twin-plenum intake or a custom intake manifold
Full-frame Garrett GTX turbo (GT35R/GT40)

Lots and lots and lots and lots of other stuff I haven't listed, though. You're talking about a $30-$40k package by the time it's actually turning the tyres.

If I were you, I'd stick with the EJ20G for as long as possible, then jam in an EJ207 with V3/V4 STi heads and a VF23/VF34P20 and whip that for a while as you build up the monster 2.5

got a budget set of around 25 to 30k to start with but could do 40k if needed just would take 5 months longer to finish
will be geting done in stages working my way up from block to heads and so on

im likeing the idea of the ej207 with v3/v4 heads im starting think think this might be a better approach then going straight into the deep end
and would give me more time to do a 257
Posted Image

#7 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

I suggest you do some reading about 300kW EJ257s. Reliable 300kW, that is.

I'd highly suggest you go the sleeved 2.0 way.

I look forward to your build. :)
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#8 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

Honestly mate if you have a budget of 40k and want to do track days etc buy an EVO And strip it out

Don't get me wrong gen1 builds are cool but you've gotta draw the limit somewhere.

IMO Just take your car to track days etc and enjoy it for what It is. It won't take long for you to notice what you wanna upgrade IE suspension or brakes or box or power. Then upgrade it over time. You'll get heaps more enjoyment out of that then having a car your pouring massive amounts of money into while it sits in your driveway.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#9 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

Honestly mate if you have a budget of 40k and want to do track days etc buy an EVO And strip it out

Don't get me wrong gen1 builds are cool but you've gotta draw the limit somewhere.

IMO Just take your car to track days etc and enjoy it for what It is. It won't take long for you to notice what you wanna upgrade IE suspension or brakes or box or power. Then upgrade it over time. You'll get heaps more enjoyment out of that then having a car your pouring massive amounts of money into while it sits in your driveway.

yeah true thing is it will be pulled off the road for 2 years anyways as i wont be legaly allowed to drive it untill i get my opens
im pushing for a examption as by courts approval 3 years ago when i was suspanded for 3 years - long story wouldnt wnat to bore every one with my own stupidity

but if the examption fails im back to square one of not being allowed to drive it for 2 years
ive also been thinking of puting it back to a N/A so i can drive it but see it as a waste of money

so i figured if over the 2 years i do a build i will have something to look forwed to at the end of the 2 years

dont get me wrong ive also thought about just doing a light rebuild and just taking it out once or twice a month to track days that is still in my head

also thought about just doing the ej207 and going for 200kw atw

everything is still really up in the air atm im just wanting to get something started

im starting to think maybe just go for the 220kw and then spend up on handleing as im also been looking into doing time trail hill climbs

im wanting a build that every time you drive it and get pulled hard into teh seat and think holy shit that was awesome lol

and people look at your car and go mehhh 300kw as if its a 92 gx . lol i love my sleeper style
Posted Image

#10 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

Handling/braking first.
Then 200kW @ wheels

Don't do this sh*t backwards.
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#11 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

Handling/braking first.
Then 200kW @ wheels

Don't do this sh*t backwards.

would be doing engine build 1st
and as i would be stil usieng it on track till i droped the new motor in id just fit all the handleing gear b4 i put new engine in

no point haveing 200kw that you cant use
or stay on track
Posted Image

#12 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

im really not sure witch way to go now

but thats ok have till december ill just put tax money aside

i am leaning towards marv's idea with the ej207 v3/v4 heads for a start

throw me some more idea's guys try keep it around the 30k area
im open to eveerything at this point

only idea's i wont accept: to buy a later model car = no or to change cars = wont happen

im really in love with the suby i got
Posted Image

#13 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

You're still on your P's and want a street drivable 300kw car?
I'll look for your "I crashed my car" thread in a years time.

Scuba-Roo's suggestion was a good one. Take your car to the track as it is now, and you'll quickly realise learning to drive the car is a better route than throwing thousands of dollars at it so you can talk about your big number.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#14 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

Your seriously gonna blow 30-40k on a 92 gx?
How much money do you have?? :)
[03.SUBY]

#15 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

Your seriously gonna blow 30-40k on a 92 gx?
How much money do you have?? :)

I'm guessing this blokess not too bright.

Starts a million threads, loses his licence for 3 years and wants to blow 40k on a Gen 1.

Posted Image

#16 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

You're still on your P's and want a street drivable 300kw car?
I'll look for your "I crashed my car" thread in a years time.

Scuba-Roo's suggestion was a good one. Take your car to the track as it is now, and you'll quickly realise learning to drive the car is a better route than throwing thousands of dollars at it so you can talk about your big number.

before you jump to a conclusions about me being on p's

i had my p's previously and was 2 weeks off my opens
also owned a 500 hp v8 xd ford falcon before i lost my licence and was legaly allowed to drive it

so its not about wheather i can as you say drive or wheather or not a p plater should have a 300kw car

im also not 17 years old im 23 and been driveing since i was 16
i also work for a a police impound/ crash investigation complex

ive seen what happens with 16 year olds behind the wheels of high powered vechles

any vechle is dangerous when used like a idiot and drive like a fwhit

sorry for being so blunt just hate being seen as a typical P plater when theres otehr circumstances involved of the reasons why

ive had to start back on a learners licence as part of the deal i took from the judge 3 years ago

and as i also said this is a 2 year project
Posted Image

#17 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

Maybe before you take your car to the track and spend a lot of money on a gen1, take some professional racing driver lessons or something similar?
You wouldn't want to waste a shite load of money and then come a gutsa as soon as you start racing.. For $40 you could get a decent track car and have enough funds to get a half decent road vehicle..

What do you do for work mate?

Edit* just read above post.. Buy ex police car :)
[03.SUBY]

#18 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

yeah been looking at geting some of those driver lessions as to break some bad habbits and will be doing that

reason its going a track car is becuase i can still drive it in those 2 years on a track just not on he street
and then after the 2 years i will be able to drive it on street legaly
at the moment im still able to drive it legaly as ive got friends with open licences

lol ex police car wish i could mate

for the daily driver
got a nataraly aspirated ford cortina te with a mild worked 6cyl
wont list mods but has enough power for a daily as an idea it eats ss v8's
and never selling it :P
Posted Image

#19 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

300kws all the wheels is ALOT of power... We are tslking close to 500hp at thr flywheel.

Have a look at my thread and see whats been done to my rig, i just pipped the mark with 302kws and this is as much power as i could get keeping it safe..

500hp creates alot of cylinder head pressure in these little 4cylinders. And as you may of seen, most builds are hit and miss. Since i freshened up my motor in april last year. I have clocked up 35000kms running 24psi and 260kws.. And about 2000kms with 300kws and 23psi.. So mines actually going really well.

One factor is fuel!! You need shit loads. Im currently at my limit of my fuel system of 4x 900cc injectors and a bosch 044 in thr tank.. And around town im lucky to get 240km to 40ltrs.

If i were you. Id go the Ej207 with 98 heads, V3 STI cams. Bolt on Billet wheeled turbo. FMIC ( because libertys have a shit scoop) Autronic sm4 ecu and decent fuel system..

230-240kws all day everyday.. Plus it will be a fun car to drive. Hell my mates 160kw gc8 with all the fruit in handling is more fun than my 300kw heavy B4
MY02 Liberty B4

#20 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

Even a WRC car 'only' runs around 300bhp. What are you planning on doing with 300kw exactly?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users