#1 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:18 AM

After all the hammering I have given her, she shat herself on a standard 40k and hour drive!!!! 2nd gear is sounding like a busted CV... it had a dry sound to it a day ago, and now it's worse, Im hoping, that the oil will settle overnight and will be quiet tomorrow, if so, I'll top her up... But... Worst case.. what 5 speed box will fit? any WRX? any Turbo Lib?, Forrester?... I knew those Subaru gods would have the last laugh with me. Anyone keen for a hooters meet, but without the hooters or the restaurant and with just 1 car as the main subject? hehe

#2 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:22 AM

Damn, bad luck man. I'm dreading the day I hear that shit from under my car hey...

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#3 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

You and me both.. except.. Im Living it!

#4 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:26 AM

You and me both.. except.. Im Living it!

My "enthusiastic" driving means its really only a matter of time, so i'll be paying close attention to this thread.

*subscribes*

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#5 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:49 AM

Bad news Brendan. Stop breaking your car!

#6 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:57 AM

Hmmm... Subaru Drive Trains FTL!!!!!!!!, bad luck dude.. I hope its not too much damage, maybe you could consider having yours rebuilt so then you know whats inside is nice and strong etc. I get clunking but its only my crap rear diff :( oh and under load my gearbox sounds like a can of rattling dry bolts although not hugely loud.

#7 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:38 AM

Hmmm... Subaru Drive Trains FTL!!!!!!!!, bad luck dude.. I hope its not too much damage, maybe you could consider having yours rebuilt so then you know whats inside is nice and strong etc.
I get clunking but its only my crap rear diff :( oh and under load my gearbox sounds like a can of rattling dry bolts although not hugely loud.

Dude thats kinda the sound mine was making the day before this happened!!..

Im still yet to go out and check it again this morning.. im hoping its a lack of lube thats doing it.. it's weird.. the car still drove fine, shifted all gears fine, didn't skip a beat, and feels smooth!

Worst case, Im gonna throw in an RX box.

#8 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:40 AM

Teh AIDS has come to get your car. Clearly it was a prime target due to the redz stripz on your wheelz

#9 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

Teh AIDS has come to get your car. Clearly it was a prime target due to the redz stripz on your wheelz

heheh, but it's stripeless at the moment..

#10 Joe

Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

bad luck brendan... hope it doesnt cost too much for you to fix..

#11 cracka

cracka

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:F1, MOTO GP.

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:56 AM

pretty sure all Subaru 5mt are much the same and interchangeable. there's always plenty of second hand boxes going around . look for a PAR rebuild or similar or go 6mt otherwise you'll end up back at square one on account of how hard you drive.
Nothing left to break .

#12 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:33 AM

Hmmm... Subaru Drive Trains FTL!!!!!!!!, bad luck dude.. I hope its not too much damage, maybe you could consider having yours rebuilt so then you know whats inside is nice and strong etc.
I get clunking but its only my crap rear diff :( oh and under load my gearbox sounds like a can of rattling dry bolts although not hugely loud.

Mine sounds like and has ever since I put the Exedy clutch in. Everything feels and drives perfectly though. It only makes the sound between 1500-3000RPM, depending on what gear im in

#13 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

Hai Brendan. Sounds like a good excuse to convert to a single turbo. Half cuts FTW :D. Is your gearbox an 8bolt case? AFAIK the later model STi items are slightly stronger gearsets.
TSM

#14 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

Hai Brendan.
Sounds like a good excuse to convert to a single turbo. Half cuts FTW :D.

Is your gearbox an 8bolt case?
AFAIK the later model STi items are slightly stronger gearsets.

yeah dude, its the 8 bolt 5 speed.. so most wrx ones will fit??

It's gone really bad now.. it's banging and clunking in all gears, and even on idle with the clutch engaged..

Im thinking it might just be the shafts (input / output), but man..

Im just gonna try and find a 2nd hand one now and throw it in..

I been hunting on rexnet too.

#15 d_generate

d_generate

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

I had a MY 99 let 3rd gear go & replaced it with a 4 bolt box, made no difference so it may be a cheaper option..........try finding a GTB or V3/4 4.44 box & diff, much stronger.
98 Liberty, V3 STI running gear, CAI & 3" TBE, pulled a 13.09 @ 104mph

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=TKrsF-2JS3M
In the dunes^^^^^^^^^^

Posted Image

#16 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:58 PM

So hang on... A 4 bolt box will bolt up fine? and I think the 4.44 are std on the B4 no?

#17 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

Hey Mate. 4bolt will bolt up no worries at all. I'm pretty confident that the B4's are 4.11 ratio's. So if you use a 4.44 gearbox you'll need the appropriate rear diff as well. You'll have to confirm this, but I'm pretty confident.
TSM

#18 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

well the box im being offered is a 4.11 box, and has the rear diff to give me to, for $900.00 + postage, D_generate - I love you man, thanks for the words of advice, TY 752VBAAA Ratios 1st: 3.454 2nd:2.062 3rd:1.448 4th:1.088 5th:0.825 Final drive:4.111 these are the specs of the new box, if I get it, I wanna see how much it will be to just fix the problem now, as all gears work perfect, select perfect, except makes a clunking sound as the gearbox turns... it might even be something stupid like a thrust bearing!

#19 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

B4 Box's are certainly 4.11 :D, I hope the box you are intending on putting into the car is a B4 item or something similar, cos remember the B4's have strengthened gear sets. I doubt it would be a thurst bearing if its clunking and clattering etc try putting the car in nuetral, getting out and having a walk around see if you can find exactly where the noise is coming from :D Good luck with it all dude, I hate when shit like that goes wrong... just be thankful you havn't done an engine yet.

#20 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:14 AM

"The B4's 'S type' close-ratio gearset has taller ratios in the first three cogs than the Impreza WRX, but a shorter 4.11:1 final drive ratio counters some of this effect. Interestingly, the gears are now cold forged and shot peened for added strength and a flexible flywheel design is now incorporated to reduce engine vibration reaching the driveline"

Taken from http://autospeed.com...le.html?&A=1242
MY02 Liberty B4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users