23 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce

Bruce

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

So ill keep the story short but i am in need of some advice for my car. Last Tuesday i had my car serviced and a rego check done. While it was in the carpark(public one behind mechanic) some one crashed into it.

They damaged the passenger guard(ruined), left front wheel(needs new powdercoat) and my front bar. That damage will be going through insurance since the guy left a fake number and name on a note.

That will be costing me $1000 cause my excess is 600 and under 25 they add another 400 on top. That is the easy part but you need to the back story.

While it was getting looked at by the NRMA they found out that someone did a bad repair on the chassis rails, support beam and other parts under the front bar

For example the rail has been heated up and bogged back together. Some of the bolts don't line up on the rails and beams. That is the basic idea of the damage/repair underneath

Repair for the underside will be a couple of thousand i am guessing. Since they need to pull the engine out, all body panels(front) and measure everything up.

Just wondering if you were in my situation what would you do?

Thanks
Michael

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

That sucks mate.

Is it possible to get any security footage from the mechanics? It was on their property/their duty of care, surely it would come off their insurance?

Very unfortunate about the previous dodgy repair.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

Reshell it?

Posted Image

#4 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

The old damage "should" be covered under NRMA's lifetime warranty - they (NRMA) will have to chase up the old repairer (I use that term loosely by the sound of it...) and get whatever it costs to fix out of them.

Basically, pay the $1k and get EVERYTHING you can out of it.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

As above.

The dodgyness should be repaired under a 'rectification'.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#6 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:24 PM

If the insurance company covered it then it's all ok. Their chance to make sure the car is legit is Pre the commencement of the policy. But lawyer up if NRMA call you and say they might not pay, you need paper trails as soon as the shiz hits the fan.

#7 12.SLOW

12.SLOW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

if the car was at the mechanics shop its the mechanics job to pay to get it fixed

If You Dont Love Your Car Love Your Mum 

Slower Then The Rest 

50.CYA

YAMAHA R3 2015

#8 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

if the car was at the mechanics shop its the mechanics job to pay to get it fixed

While it was in the carpark(public one behind mechanic) some one crashed into it.

Not the mechanics problem.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#9 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

Wouldn't be covered by the mechanic's insurance as it was in their 'duty of care'?

IM47Gcv.jpg

#10 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

^ As i would've assumed

Working in a pub, our duty of care extends in a small radius OUTSIDE of the hotels' premises so if shit goes down from people who have left the pub, we are involved. so comparing, i would think very much likewise as they are taking possesion of your property for the day, therefore their responsibilty and liability? But who knows the full legalities!!! -i definately dont :D

#11 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

I didn't think the problem was the carpark incident, I thought it was the pre-existing damage to the chassis. Considering Bruce has had this car, and had it insured with pre-existing damage, which like I said should now be repaired under his policy.

End.

#12 Bruce

Bruce

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

I didn't think the problem was the carpark incident, I thought it was the pre-existing damage to the chassis. Considering Bruce has had this car, and had it insured with pre-existing damage, which like I said should now be repaired under his policy.

End.

Yeah the carpark incident is not a big deal in the scheme of things, since that is an easy repair. The issue as Niko said is that my car has had bad repairs done on the car and has still been insured by NRMA.

I have owned this car for almost two years now and this is the first i have heard of it. Which is surprising has been regularly serviced and had a gearbox put in. So you think one mechanic would of seen it before.

If i understand correctly Niko you are saying since NRMA has insured a pre-existing damaged car, i should be covered under my policy for them to get it repaired/investigated?

I cannot get any work done till January since everything is closing down now. From now till then i need to get as much information about what i should be doing.

Thanks
Michael

#13 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

Yeah Michael, insurers run checks before they 'sign off' on your policy. If you had no knowledge of the chassis problem, and they didn't discover it in their history check, then they pay. But like I said, as soon as NRMA start sounding iffy you should just pay the $50 for a legal consultant to look at the situation for you, will save you $$$ down the track.

#14 Bruce

Bruce

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

Yeah Michael, insurers run checks before they 'sign off' on your policy. If you had no knowledge of the chassis problem, and they didn't discover it in their history check, then they pay. But like I said, as soon as NRMA start sounding iffy you should just pay the $50 for a legal consultant to look at the situation for you, will save you $$$ down the track.

So updates with my situation(not getting any better) I have found a reliable smash repair who will help me out with the repairs.

Problem is i was unable to find out about the previous repair and NRMA is being of no help to me. I rang Allianz and NRMA to try and find out if there was a claim for the chassis damage prior to my ownership, with no luck.

NRMA is telling me that since it was not insured by them prior to my ownership their lifetime warranty does not cover me. It would only be covered if they carried out the repairs or knew about the damage previously.

May ring Allianz again to see about their warranties even though a claim was not done through them?

Not really sure what else i could do in this situation. In the future there maybe a lot of Impreza parts available if i cant get the chassis issue resolved.

Michael

#15 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

Sucks, mate.

Hope you get it sorted.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#16 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

Voluntary write-off.

Itll cost you the same to "accidently" put in a ditch or body of water. Sounds like alot of hassle there mate, heres hoping it gets followed up.

Whats the car btw?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#17 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

04 RS sedan

Posted Image

IM47Gcv.jpg

#18 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

If he does that Jim then its an x against his name with insurance. So from what I can see, NRMA won't repair the old damage, only the new damage? Maybe get the body damage repaired, then seriously consider taking the car to a car yard and trading it in on something mate. No need for a rwc with them.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#19 dja

dja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Tits

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

There is some terrible advice being given here.
NRMA does not run a check before they sign off ona policy(i worked for them assessing for many years)

ill say it once and im done, if you had delivered your vehicle to the repairer, and they parked it out the back, that is their duty of care, if you said, its out the back, then the area is grey(lawyer question)

The pre existing condition is legally up to you to disclose at the time of taking up a policy with any insurer, and if they wish they can null and void your policy, or reduce a payment on reapirs, or flat refuse, and not insure the vehicle again.

im well aware you didnt know about it, im just stating facts(actual ones).

If i were in your shoes i would chase security footage, and read your product disclosure statement carefully.

Suck it up, and pay for the chassis repair yourself, its what is going to have to happen unfortunately mate.

Its a shit situation, and you can only learn from it(by inspecting a car thoroughly next time).

Good luck mate, i know how hard it is battling insureres(one of the reasons i quit working for thre bloody crooks)

#20 Rosey

Rosey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Interests:When I grow up, I want to be ams

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Your excess shouldn't be that high. While my car was parked out the back of work, it was keyed then 2 days later it was trashed ($8,000 of damage) and I only had to pay the basic excess of like $550 (AAMI) since I wasn't driving the car at the time. If I was in the car/driving however it would've been a good $2,000.

Good luck getting everything sorted. From experience, authorities are useless.

Shaz will quit smoking when Rendawg loses his virginity.

It was nice knowing you shazza.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users