#21 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

As someone that uses a conversion as a daily, I will say this. I love my car. I know just about everything about it. I'm familiar with all the weird noises it makes, it's flat spots, so on. If I ever sell it, I will probably regret it forever and miss it every day.

Having said that, I hate it. I hate the weird noises it makes. I hate the rattles and shakes it has, and I hate the constant feeling that something's about to break (nothing HAS so far, but the thought is always there).

If I had my time again, would I still do the conversion? Absolutely.
If I got another Liberty would I do it again? Noooooooooo.

Summed it up way better than me!!!

Posted Image

#22 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'm just going to reiterate.... $25000 will buy a decent, very decent turbo car that has had it's engine installed by engineers in a factory, not by some mechanic.

I'm anti-conversion because I've seen them get very exxy and very disapointing very quick.

#23 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Glad you agree guys.
Just to clarify, I don't regret it one bit. I still have the car I love, with a boatload more power. In my opinion this is how the Liberty should have been built in the first place, as the chassis holds up to it really well, but on occasion the shakes and rattles that come with dismantling the dash and what not really do get to you.

Until you put your foot down.

Edit: Conversions don't have to be expensive at all. Mine cost about $5k all said and done, which is pretty good for a full EJ207 conversion I think. And if you don't trust the mechanic doing up the bolts, well then you shouldn't have taken your car to them in the first place. Personally I did it myself with some help from Dylanf and Aek and a few other mates. I don't see the point in paying someone else to do it.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#24 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

are you interested in my car by any chance?

MY07 GT spec B

#25 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Niko, is it a Subaru to Subaru conversion you are talking about getting expensive?

Posted Image

#26 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

I had suspicions you were looking at selling!

Posted Image

#27 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

if you do the conversion work yourself it's not really that expensive. the only labour I spent converting my old wagon was Al splicing the looms, everything else was built/fitted in my garage.

MY07 GT spec B

#28 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

The one in the pic? Inbox?
[03.SUBY]

#29 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

Niko, is it a Subaru to Subaru conversion you are talking about getting expensive?

I recognise you guys had great conversions, Alexxx I saw yours evolve.

But I think the question of the expense of a conversion, or difficulty is like asking how long is a piece of string.

And I'd like to point out that Sam is limited in resources to convert, and that both you guys know that if you had the $$$ you would have bought a Rex instead of converting your Libs....

I just want to be the Devils Advocate here, because every time someone talks about doing a conversion, a bunch of guys encourage him, because it's not their money that's getting poured down the drain.

My final verdict.... Factory Turbo > Conversion.

Sam I think a Rex like Alex's is exactly what you're after.

#30 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

you guys know that if you had the $$$ you would have bought a Rex instead of converting your Libs....

I can't speak for the others but for me at least, absolutely not. I would now like to upgrade to an STi (or BRZ) but I'm still glad I did the conversion, and I think enjoy my car a whole shitload more than I would an WRX.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#31 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

The one in the pic? Inbox?

message sent.

Having had both conversion and quick-from-factory subaru's they both have their advantages. The chassis in the later models is a huge upgrade alone. My wrx with standard suspension would of run rings around my liberty that had numerous suspension parts upgraded. However the liberty was a bit of a rarity and had a good time putting it together (owned it for 5 years). Buuuut...... the 2.5 is just so freakin nice to drive! The brakes are excellent. The gearbox is excellent. It's just a great package from the get go.

I had suspicions you were looking at selling!

engaged + houses + brz coming out soon. i have a work car so the rex gets less than 10k a year. i don't mind paying two lots of everything but it just feels like a bit of a waste sitting alone at home haha!

MY07 GT spec B

#32 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

That's why I haven't got a daily yet. I feel the wagon would just go to waste!

The wagon is a fookin boat! Shoulda done a RSB before you sold it :D

Posted Image

#33 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

That's why I haven't got a daily yet. I feel the wagon would just go to waste!

The wagon is a fookin boat! Shoulda done a RSB before you sold it :D

i got halfway there with the links haha!

MY07 GT spec B

#34 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

close enough!

Funny thing is i've owned the car for 3 years now, and only changed the gearbox(because i had to) put in H.I.Ds and put in a cb.

Its just a car that makes me happy!

Posted Image

#35 ADZY7

ADZY7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

IMO u are going to have a company car soon and if u can use it for personal use, I'd say conversion or get an older model lib or Rexy and. If u can't use it for personal use buy a new model suby with factory turbo.

#36 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Yep, I am going to wait until i know for sure that I will be getting a company car. Until then id say i will be making the Outback as comfortable as possible to drive ie. getting a varex muffler for it and just bought 4 new tyres for it today. Goodyear Eagle F1's... So much more quieter and smoother than the piece of crap tyres i had on before.

But, they slightly scrubbing on the plastic and make a sort of whizzing noise when hitting bumps :/
Might have to take the inner guards out or heat them up and bend them. Not sure why theyre scrubbing..
[03.SUBY]

#37 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

For your budget?

Easily get yourself a Gen4 1st series GT wagon/sedan. Easy. Look tops and go like a cut snake.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#38 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

My dash doesn't rattle.

My car does what a Subaru should.

Skids.

#39 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

My dash rattles like a mofo!!

Posted Image

#40 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:43 AM

Mine doesn't rattle (surprising considering the number of bolts I had left over...), but other bits and bobs do. Top mount rubs on top of the clutch master cylinder for example.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users