55 replies to this topic

#21 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

you will see. Noone asks for the HSC once you apply for a trade or anything similar unless u wanna further your studies and even then its not asked for

They do actually, kids who've completed year 12 are much more preferred over those who haven't. I'm sure if my mark was piss poor I wouldn't have got the job. And same deal as the 7 other apprentices at my work, none are dropouts.

It's only used for peoples first 'real' job, the employer has no other way of determining how dedicated the person is.

Domestic sparky work sucks, there's money in it though. Industrial/commercial leaves many more doors open as far as broadening your skills.

#22 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:33 PM

Fair call Pete. But generally speaking though, I've found many more people who would suggest it isn't all that valuable. Unless of course your plans are to do something like Alex.
TSM

#23 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

Employers will become more picky as the jobs market starts to tighten a bit. Get as much education under your belt as you can. Drop outs will be considered less attractive to employers.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#24 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:37 AM

They do actually, kids who've completed year 12 are much more preferred over those who haven't. I'm sure if my mark was piss poor I wouldn't have got the job. And same deal as the 7 other apprentices at my work, none are dropouts.

It's only used for peoples first 'real' job, the employer has no other way of determining how dedicated the person is.

Domestic sparky work sucks, there's money in it though. Industrial/commercial leaves many more doors open as far as broadening your skills.

i disagree petar, maybe with your job they asked but in the private sector with small companies like the one i work for noone asked, maybe bigger ones do.

#25 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:38 AM

Yeah, I have honestly NEVER been asked for any proof of education. Hell most times I've found that they don't even really take much notice of the resume.
TSM

#26 Guest_Alex_*

Guest_Alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

i disagree petar, maybe with your job they asked but in the private sector with small companies like the one i work for noone asked, maybe bigger ones do.

I'm sorry there Jovan, but that doesn't say terribly much about your employer. As Pete says, having as much education as possible does open much more doors. Its an indisputable fact!

Soop - You throw paint on for a living, yeah? Isn't that a therapy they do for special kids?

#27 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:03 AM

HAHAHH - My post graduate degree, got me my Brembo's.. aaahh Alex...

#28 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:39 PM

Alex - Have been doing that. Done numerous other jobs since I left school also. Most of which were automotive based. The employers simply don't care how much of a smart arse you were at school, whats important is that you listen to what your being told and do jobs as your supposed to. I know for a fact that in this particular industry, having a "ZOMG hektic" education can be a disadvantage. Because generally if someone has spent all that time at school and then comes looking for these jobs, it just means they have no f*cking idea what they want to do. And most of the time they're either useless or piss off after a week. In the same note, If people want to do what you (Alex) do your a living, then of course its the best (only) option, I'm not disputing that at all. But it is not even close to being necessary if you wish to do a trade. You merely need to show an interest and aptitude.
TSM

#29 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:52 PM

I'm sorry there Jovan, but that doesn't say terribly much about your employer. As Pete says, having as much education as possible does open much more doors. Its an indisputable fact!

Very true. The greater education you have the more opportunities you will have available to you. I am also a strong believer that you do not need to get fancy pieces of paper to get you somewhere in life. If there is something that you want to do, or something you want to be - let nothing stop you.

I didn't do most of my work during year 11 and year 12 until it was overdue, so I got 0 for most assessments and rarely did homework and study for tests. I do not know what I got for my UAI (I did not even open the letter) and I got crap marks for my tests (No idea what they are, can't be bothered finding the paper) but I have had no problems since then. I got the paper that said I completed my HSC which is what I was after and there has been no stopping me since.

After school I continued working in the supermarket job I was in for another year, then after 3 years quit that for a job in IT working for an internet provider, and I have been there every since. Sept. 2005 I started, and it has been over 3 years. In that time I have learned a great deal and have worked my way up to the point where I have managed a department of about 8 people. I have now moved in to a different area of the company to continue to advance my career.

For all of you who are still in school and doing the HSC, it is not the be all and end all that they make you believe it is. There is a life outside of school, and your lessons in life really begin once you finish school. My advice to you, is to enjoy school while you are there - you get to see your friends every day, and you can go to school and do sweet eff all if you want to. If you choose something to do, pick it and stick to it - don't be a quitter. Take your time making decisions, don't rush them and don't be afraid to do something different. I have learned many things myself, simply by giving it a shot. I have learned more things by doing it hands on, rather than reading it from a book and trying to memorise what the author has put in print.

I disagree strongly with the mentality of some university grad's that believe their peers that did not attend uni. are of less value to society. I also disagree with the belief that university grad's will be better suited for a job than someone who genuinly wants to do it, and has not gotten a piece of paper saying that they can do it. Sure, there are jobs that this is required - but it is not a blanket system.

Again, good luck to you but remember there is a whole world outside of school that awaits you.

#30 DY028

DY028

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:58 PM

Nice post Dylan, totally agree with you mate. Good luck for english tomorrow fellow HSC peoples. now back to the lameness that is poetry.

#31 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

Nice post Dylan, totally agree with you mate.

Good luck for english tomorrow fellow HSC peoples.

now back to the lameness that is poetry.

+1 for that
+1 for that

poetry? study? pft youtube FTW!

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#32 DY028

DY028

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

+1 for that
+1 for that

poetry? study? pft youtube FTW!

lol. fair call, i figure tho if i read some old notes it will make time time go faster tomorrow as i will have something to dribble on about, anyone herd of the Oedipus Complex? who knew english could be sooooooooo farked! haha.

#33 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:27 PM

works in theory atleast

#34 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:29 PM

To any Yr11/12 students - Go out. Have fun. Terrorise any subs you may have. And have more fun. Your UAI isn't the be all and end all like its made out to be. If your like me and wanting to get a uni degree of some sort and don't get the UAI you want - don't worry. There are alternative access ways. I didn't even get close to my required UAI but I'm still doing exactly what course I wanted to do at the uni I wanted to do it at. If all goes to plan, maybe you too can have Brembo's like Alex :P

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#35 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

Soop - You throw paint on for a living, yeah? Isn't that a therapy they do for special kids?

i disagree there too... all they want is my tafe qualification, and then u get hired on that. then we and the employer looks how good you are at your job, if ur incompidante or dont know what they are doing they will fire you. but thats in my trade and the automotive industry im not saying its for all.

#36 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:48 PM

To any Yr11/12 students - Go out. Have fun. Terrorise any subs you may have. And have more fun. Your UAI isn't the be all and end all like its made out to be.

I love them words :D

TAFE>School

#37 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:00 AM

Hai dylll!!! now if you'd just listen to me and f**k off your cc's!!! good to see your gettin shit done mate asalways
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#38 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:42 AM

Finially no more f**king english forever!!! such a releif! :drinks:

#39 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

Finially no more f**king english forever!!!
such a releif! :drinks:

Congrats mate. Wait until the feeling after the final exam. Best feeling of your life.

#40 3p!demiC

3p!demiC

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

Congrats mate. Wait until the feeling after the final exam. Best feeling of your life.

Nice one bro! dylan's right..... Its so epic when you finally finish everything. Hope you get what you are after.

Any of you guys going to schoolies?
1992 Subaru Liberty GX

the taste of semen is complex and dynamic

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users