Photo

P Platers now allowed to drive Turbo and Supercharged vehicles in QLD.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Meadyyy

Meadyyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Been on my p's for 6-7 months now, and would say im not the worst driver around. But everyone knows, you jump from sitting in a car with a parent/guardian/instructor for a year, to driving on your own, and its a completely different experience.

You learn more in the first week on your own then you do the whole year on your L's. Driving training days, skidpans and defensive driver training should be compulsory before obtaining a p plate license.

Ive been driving since i was 8, round paddocks and stuff. In the last year or two a mate of mine also got a RWD buggy, i learnt more driving skills in that then I did with my parents. And have used it several times on the road already. For instance was driving along and had a car travelling the opposite direction swerve to miss some sort of wildlife and veer onto my side of the road at 90kmh. i swerved to miss them, and got all crossed up, 2x opposite lock, feeding the throttle trying to straighten it up mid corner. Without the experience of just mucking around in a vehicle and pushing the limits in a paddock or whatever, i can positively say i would have ended up in a bank, wrapped around a tree, or a head on with a car that day.

You learn more by experiencing it then you ever will by listening or watching. Power to weight ratio is such a better option, but your still gonna have dickhead P-platers in an NA commodore, which is still a shitload more dangerous then having a boosted Subaru.

I know people who have passed there P plate test, who shouldnt even be trusted with a supervisor let alone by themselves.
Let p platers have a go, push the limits on a track or skidpan before getting their license. Let them scare the shit out of themselves and realise what can actually happen, before that do it on the road and endanger themselves and the other road users.

#22 jakefake

jakefake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

not gonna lie,
when you're a p plater you get better by doing stupid shit like the wet roundabouts the hoops the paddock bashing the rallyspec list goes on.

#23 bd-850

bd-850

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

my thoughts on this:

defencive driving can be good and bad, for some people it will work well, but you are teaching them how to get the car Out Of Control first then teach you how to get it back into control, so you are now going to show off out on the street in a non controled enviroment.

its different when you are expecting it to happen to something out of the blue.

when i was being tought how to drive my dad took me on some dirt roads and just cruising along he would yank on the handbreak to get the car sideways without me knowing. alot of fun but it tought me to expect the unexpected.

lastweek end i actually put my Liberty off into the scrub, unsigned blind corner in drizzle rain doing 80ks was unexpected but i believe the way i was tought made me think quick enough to avoid worst case.

as for the turbo cars, "high performance cars generally have better breaks and suspension than your $4000 Cherry. AND doing 100kmh in a Lambo and 100kmh in a crap **** box, you are still doing 100ks, i would rather be in the Lambo when i hit the tree instead of the **** box

#24 Ren-dog

Ren-dog

2 Stroke Boxer Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • Interests:Race car

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Here is the PDF with all the info.
http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/forms/FS4478/$file/S4478_ES.pdf

Same laws as before basically, still cannot be owned by you (The P plater). If anything they have restricted it further, used to be able to get the exemption for any vehicle if it was owned by someone else... now it has to be 125kw/tonne.

So unless im reading it incorrectly (Which is a possibility since it has been written by some arse hat bureaucrat) they have made it worse...

NEEDS MOAR PEANUT BUTTER

#25 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

some great reads in this thread.

Everyone's said what ive thought;

But something that hasn't been mentioned is when a Learner first starts out, i mean FIRST starts out.. I see it around, their parents take them straight onto a fukin road in the middle of traffic/pedestrians.
Should start out in a deserted industrial area/similar! it amazes me how this doesn't occur to some people!

I don't think the gov should allow the discision of where parents bring their kids out for the first time to themselves. That should also be in a controlled environment..

oh and another thing, apparently people who learned auto, drove auto on red p's, can overnight learn manual when they get their greens??? lol, good thinking rta?

#26 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

Dan, it's even worse where I live, 100km speed limit, obvious early stages learner, pulls out on you and doesn't accelerate much.

Hard braking is hard!

Posted Image

#27 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

jesus yeah, tell me about it!

thing i hate most is how we (aussies) drive so shit compared to other countries. well, not necessarily shit, more ..not abiding road rules. ..places like Sweden do not allow parents to instruct their kids, at all. therefore bad habits aren't passed along. i love this. besides expense..

Like forfuckingc*ntsfucksake, driving down to shoalhaven heads a while ago, behind learner, 80kms in 100zone, fair enough, hangs back. overtaking lane 1km ahead, SCORE! overtaking lane approaches, no left indicator, this hurts, now two lanes, still no indicator. oh cmon? 2 minutes pass. FUU MOVE THE FORK OVER. closes gap to a normal gap. still nothing. closes to within the nueasance distance. nothing. a minute passes. closes to within near tailgating range. STILL NOTHING. OMG U DUMBSHITHEAD PARENT!! tell ur daughter to mergeeeeee.... overtakes on inside (commiting an offence there (lol)). deathstares parent (woman, btw)(4WD, btw) as passes by. SHE looks at me with stinkeye as if my distaste in her is not of her doing. ????????????????????? FUUUUUUUUUUU

carry on, ...finger out window. betch.

sigh....

lol.

#28 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Tailgating is not by any means an effective way to communicate a point with an inexperienced driver. If they don't move over, undertake them or put up with it.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#29 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

I throw paint stripper at their car.

Posted Image

#30 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

I throw paint stripper at their car.

Brake fluid work work just as well!

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#31 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Tailgating is not by any means an effective way to communicate a point with an inexperienced driver. If they don't move over, undertake them or put up with it.

hence i said close to tailgating, wasn't saying i was indeed tailgating.
and im not a complete arsehole, i definately dont want to wig out the poor L driver.
and; i did undertake them :D so i don't see the problem, I was just extremely annoyed at the teacher? haha :)

#32 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

That means that a P plater can jump into an XT Foz (2003) with a power to weight of 105kw/tonne and its OK.
Fark that. Our Foz is too fast for my 16 year old to drive that's for sure.
This rule change will be abused for sure.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#33 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

*yawn*

nubs whinging.

#34 Jordan

Jordan

Jordyshore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

That means that a P plater can jump into an XT Foz (2003) with a power to weight of 105kw/tonne and its OK.
Fark that. Our Foz is too fast for my 16 year old to drive that's for sure.
This rule change will be abused for sure.

Many things.

I am contemplating abusing this law.

Brings many cars into play.

WRX's
RS Libbies
S13/14/15/180sx
Supercharged Monaro's/Commos.

Jordan - MY02 Forester GT - Sydney

#35 Ren-dog

Ren-dog

2 Stroke Boxer Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • Interests:Race car

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

Can anyone else read the PDF i linked and give their opinion on how its worded...

To me it says you need three other reasons to drive it. Its like the previous exemption law, but they have capped it... thats how im reading it.

NEEDS MOAR PEANUT BUTTER

#36 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

*yawn*

nubs whinging.

hey? nubs are everywhere on the road though! :)

#37 fatdon

fatdon

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:cars, music, cars, snow, cars, wake cars, and goodtimes. mainly goodtimes in cars.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

ahhhhh P plate laws!! absolute genius.....................dont drive at night, dont drink a drop, dont do this dont do that. hard life on ur p's these days i rekon
i might even put my plates on when i get onto the green ones at the age of 33. ripping.
ur right driver training should be part of it cos there is that many clown p platers that cant even read a stop sign and that many shifty minority groups that can scam the whole license getting system its a shame Im even involved with the RTA. Rife Taxing Arsepumpingbandits
lets see who can come up with the best acronym for RTA.

#38 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Rectum Thumping Arsewipers

IM47Gcv.jpg

#39 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

Rectal Tearing Assholes

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#40 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

no such thing as the RTA anymore it is now Transport Roads and Maritime Services. TRMS

MY07 GT spec B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users