Photo

Subaru Meets to Talk About Future WRX, Including CVTs?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Posted Image

Subaru’s WRX is one of the only games left in town if you’re looking for a rally-inspired high-performance car. The company is reportedly meeting this week to discuss the car’s future and wondering just how sophisticated or efficient the model should be.

GoAuto reports the news came from Subaru Australia managing director Nick Senior, who said he was boarding a plane for Japan this week to provide his input as Subaru imagines the next high-performance car.

We’re careful not to say “high-performance Impreza” because, as we’ve previously reported, Subaru is distancing the WRX, STI, and the XV Crossover models from the Impreza.

Instead, Subaru is reportedly toying with making the WRX and STI a bit more European–removing some of the boy-racer character from the rally-inspired cars in favor of a more refined sport-sedan mentality. Senior said Subaru is looking to BMW’s M and Mercedes-Benz’s AMG divisions for inspiration, which should excite fans of fast, livable sports cars.

As for what the next WRX would have underhood, Senior told GoAuto that the 2.0-liter boxer four-cylinder in the new Impreza is certainly able to be turbocharged, which would mean power figures greatly exceeding the adequate 148 horsepower and 145 pound-feet the base Impreza makes. In comparison, the current-model-year WRX makes 265 horsepower, and the STI makes 305.

This is where things begin to get strange: Senior also said that the base Impreza could donate something else to a WRX, its Lineartronic continuously variable transmission. While there’s certainly no confirmation that this will happen, the WRX and STI’s manic fans usually don’t love CVTs.

We have also heard the turbocharged engine could also be downsized to as small as 1.6 liters, and possibly employ an electrically-assisted turbocharger.

In any case, we should expect to see the end product of this week’s meetings and labor in roughly 18 months. Let’s hope it’s worth the wait.

This info and more can be found at: http://wot.motortrend.com

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 Ren-dog

Ren-dog

2 Stroke Boxer Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • Interests:Race car

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

For a start the one in the pic looks sexy as.

But why downsize engine? BMW's and Mercs have big big big V8's and shiz... Give us a Turbo charged H6 or something cool like that.
Well i want the WRX STi to stay a boys toy, if you want refined, get a liberty.

NEEDS MOAR PEANUT BUTTER

#3 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

If they downsize to a 2.0L, would it be easy for them to retain the same torque figures despite the reduction in displacement?

I can understand putting an auto in the WRX and STi, but a CVT box would just be damn out of place! I can't think of any good performance cars with CVT's...

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#4 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Needs moar low.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#5 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

There actually has been a lot of talk of downgrading the STi to a 1.6L.

Something about a new rallying category that's more environmentally friendly, reducing CO2 emissions, blah blah blah.

Power figures however, are going to hover in the 220kw + range.

Very doable with a new FA series engine.

The new two litre turbo coming to the BRZ will have an equal bore to stroke ratio, which doesn't mean much for the hellaflush crowd, but to the real men, it means that it'll be a new motor that will deliver fantastic and linear power and torque levels.

Exciting times.

#6 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

Sounds to me like they are desperate to try some new things with their model line-up. I dunno about CVT though...

#7 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

i know what a CVT does and is, but why don't people like them? i mean, your already driving an auto so how much worse can it get? can someone explain the disadvantages?

#8 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

Auto's still have gears, and can take a beating, I don't think CVT's are as strong or lend well to acceleration. I am all for new technology but I haven't personally driven a CVT car, so I can't really give an opinion on it. I can live with my older school Auto in the B4, but I have driven the new Focus and Cruze and the Auto in those is terrible (musical I should say lol).

I think the WRX needs a semi-auto for the daily driver, but they can keep the CVT, it doesn't make sense in a WRX if you ask me.

#9 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

CVT isn't new technology :)

Posted Image

#10 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

i have driven the new subaru XV with the CVT transmission and it is so much quicker than the 6speed manual version I would 100% buy the CVT over the manual.

interesting to see how the CVT will go with turbocharged motor (sitting at full boost the whole time your foot is down not needing to lift off to change gears...)

MY07 GT spec B

#11 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Y can't they go dsg??? Isn't it cheaper and lighter?

#12 Forester 2.5i S

Forester 2.5i S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

CVT are the best box Subaru has used
My XV with CVT (6 speed) box is quicker then a XV with a 6 speed man
Paddle shifts rule
Jason & Tanya

MY15 Subaru Forester 2.5i S - Crystal White Pearl , CVT
MY12 Subaru XV 2.0i L - Obsidian Black Pearl , CVT

#13 Forester 2.5i S

Forester 2.5i S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Auto's still have gears, and can take a beating, I don't think CVT's are as strong or lend well to acceleration. I am all for new technology but I haven't personally driven a CVT car, so I can't really give an opinion on it. I can live with my older school Auto in the B4, but I have driven the new Focus and Cruze and the Auto in those is terrible (musical I should say lol).

I think the WRX needs a semi-auto for the daily driver, but they can keep the CVT, it doesn't make sense in a WRX if you ask me.

The CVT that Subaru use is from Porsche
Porsche have Been using CVT in there Turbo Boxer sixes if they can handle Porsche power then can handle STi power
Allot of overseas Supercars used CVT boxes don't you people watch Top Gear
CVT all the WAY (manual eater)
Jason & Tanya

#14 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'd rather a double clutch auto to be honest. Proper paddles and gear selection on the stick. Gear changes quicker than you can blink, than CVT. That said, if its good enough it might be fine. As a daily a CVT might be fine, but I don't see how it makes sense in a Performance car.

http://forums.whirlp...archive/1767826

#15 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

The CVT that Subaru use is from Porsche
Porsche have Been using CVT in there Turbo Boxer sixes if they can handle Porsche power then can handle STi power
Allot of overseas Supercars used CVT boxes don't you people watch Top Gear
CVT all the WAY (manual eater)

not having a dig, but i am very sceptical on this. do you have proof?

porsche use PDK, completely different to CVT transmission..

MY07 GT spec B

#16 Forester 2.5i S

Forester 2.5i S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

No proof sorry
Just something i got told

Jason & Tanya