#461 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

Too messy Shaz.

Too messy for a road car.

I think you really need to reasses things here. On many levels...

It's quite clear that you want a heavily modified car here. Cool. But, with all this talk of hydro handbrake, (it doesn't matter if it's removable or not)... You still have hydraulic brake lines coming into the car: illegal. Twin caliper rear discs... Custom backing plates, custom lines, seperate master...etc. Forget having a roadworthy car. If you get pulled over, you WILL get raped. No way you'll get this engineered.

Perhaps another diff choice is in order?

Sure, the R31 would be cheap and easy, but brakes are shit.
Are there any other diff options you could utilize that have more braking options?

Shaz - seriously reasses things here. Is this a road car? Or a racecar?

Because Racecar.

I'm still investigating other options for a rear brake setup that actually works man, as I'd prefer to do that.

Diff wise, there isn't very many options. R31 Diff will be cheapest for strength. $300 for full diff, $99 for a minispool, $250 to get mounts switched across and $200 for misc mods like handbrake cables and stuff to make fit. A T-Series diff will bolt straight in, but, you're looking at $600ish for a full disc to disc rear, THEN a m inimum of $900 for a TRD/Similar LSD. And, even after all that, the axles are weak, and the diff itself will be stressed behind a CA. The other option is a Hilux G series diff, which is strong as Posted Image, plenty of lockers available, but needs to be shortened, mounts switched, PCD converted, eetc etc. Won't be much change from $2k.

Once this conversion happens Alex, it won't be used for daily duties anymore. I'll pickup a cheap slapper for dailys, and use this for weekends, etc.

I think a call to my local engineer is in order, and see exactly what he thinks of the seperate hydro setup. I reckon he'll either laugh, or hangup, but its worth a shot. He might even have a better idea of which way to go.

One axle is indeed longer than the other but it is a very bad idea to run two short axles and shorten the housing the 50mm or so to make up for it. This is because the short axle is in the long axle tube, yes I know it's confusing but it's due to the shape of the cast center. The diff pinion is already offset to side by about 30mm. By running two short axles this makes the center around 80mm off to one side which is a lot and apart from potential clearence issues you have the uni-joints running at an angle. The more proffesional way to shorten the axle tube that has the short axle in it. Now due to the shape the axle is you can not shorten an axle any less than 50mm as there is no material there to cut a spline into. So most likely for many of the people here they either flare their gaurds or they shorten the long tube with the shorter axle.

For people who want it narrower again you can put the short axle in the long side and shortened that and then get another short alxe and get it reduced by the minimum 50mm for the other side. This will give you a 1370mm diff which happens to be ideal for a TA22 and probably also pre ke70 corollas. It also sits the tailshaft and housing in an ideal location.

The breather hole also needs to be relocated as it ends up under the spring seat.

Now the god-aweful handbrake- it's not necessarily because it has disks, it's just a shocking design. To set the handbrake pad pre-load the piston is wound in and out much like an ae82 twinky, nothing out of the ordinary there. Here is the where the usual dumn nissan engineering comes in, the caliper piston has only one slot going down it. This means the adjustment of the handbrake has to be done in 180 degree intervals. So lets say the pads can be just short of fitting over the disk, you wind it in another half rotation and then most of the actuators travel is to just take up the gap between the pad and the disk. On the very small bright side it's easy to adapt unmodded S series cables with a tube spacer to the nissan calipers.

Now some other things:

- Nissan studs use a 1.25mm pitch unlike the 1.5mm toyota standard

- It's a bloody heavy thing as it has the crude cast center with welded tube deisng instead of the full fabricated housing.

- the AE/KE S-series diff pinion fits onto the r31 diff!! I would of beleived it had I not done it myself, comes straight off and swaps as it's the same spine coming both from Borg Warner.

edit** The other option is to run single VS Commodore calipers on the rear, and make it work with the hydrobrake. This was my original thought, until I started reading about the twin rear setup.

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#462 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Are you reading up on toymods again?

Some crazy cats up there.

Hilux is an awesomesauce option. Costly, yes. Should get goin see a bank manager about a loan then?

What about Corona ST141 diff? If you get the early CSX, they have solid disc rears.
Celica of similar vintage?

Easier and cheaper just to buy an old RS Liberty, convert to RWD with a centre diff spool, convert rear end to R180 and boss it up!

Long gone are the days of cheap Toyotas. Makes me sad.

#463 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Are you reading up on toymods again?

Some crazy cats up there.

Hilux is an awesomesauce option. Costly, yes. Should get goin see a bank manager about a loan then?

What about Corona ST141 diff? If you get the early CSX, they have solid disc rears.
Celica of similar vintage?

Easier and cheaper just to buy an old RS Liberty, convert to RWD with a centre diff spool, convert rear end to R180 and boss it up!

Long gone are the days of cheap Toyotas. Makes me sad.

Yeah, foruming it up looking for info mate.

ST141 diff was also an option, but they all come in shithouse ratios, no LSDs available for them, and small axles prone to snapping. Plus, still have to get it shortened, etc.

I don't think I can bring myself to spending $2k on a hilux diff. Especially when you then need to sort out LSDs, tailshaft, cables, lines, etc. It will end up being a expensive excercise. Loan for diff = not going to happen. Lol.

RWD RS would be cool, but the KE70 just looks so much better! Old school FTW!

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#464 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

AFAIK, R31 Borg Warner diff = ST141 Borg Warner diff, internally.

Have you considered perhaps going IRS ala RT142 Corona/MA61 Supra/IS200/Many modern Toyota?

#465 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

AFAIK, R31 Borg Warner diff = ST141 Borg Warner diff, internally.

Have you considered perhaps going IRS ala RT142 Corona/MA61 Supra/IS200/Many modern Toyota?

Well, when I had the S13, I actually put both the S13 and KE70 up in the air, and thought about swapping the whole rear subframe across and making IRS in the KE70, but WAAAAYYYY too much custom work involved. I was in contact with a tuning shop in Japland, who done a whole IRS S13 Conversion into a AE86, and for them to say they wouldn't do it again, was enough for me.

The ST141 diffs are internally very similar (R31 diff = 28 spline 3.9:1 auto, 3.7:1 manual, where as ST141/Pintara = 26 spline 3:45:1) so that doesn't really suit the application im looking for.

#466 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

My apologies.

I assumed pintara and skyline bog warmers were the same.

You'll laugh when I say this, but I'm pretty serious, and I need to do this at one stage:

Tafe course into welding.

That would be awesomesauce.

Talk to a diff shop Shaz. There may be more options out there.

#467 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

LOL. Welding = piece of piss man.

Go buy a cheap welder, and some old panels, and give it a crack my friend.

Surely, if you can disect a tumor from someones brain, and whatnot, then you'll be able to make 2 bits of steel permanently shake hands.

:)

Cheers,
Shazza

#468 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

I'd love to learn more also about various mettalurgy, alloys, and various welding techniques.

But yeah, need to get my stick on :)

I'm going to think all afternoon about diffs whilst dissecting tumours.

#469 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

Is there any difference between a r200 from a r31 and from a s13? or could you just run the R180 that you already have?

Alex I highly recommend doing them TAFE course, I had to do some stick and MIG welding as part of my trade course, I'm on a waiting list to do more night time classes so I can get my TIG on :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#470 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

Is there any difference between a r200 from a r31 and from a s13? or could you just run the R180 that you already have?

R31 is solid rear, and S13 is IRS IIRC Mark.

Cheers,
Shazza

#471 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

TAFE is good.
;)

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users