aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Posted Image

Subaru has given the biggest hint yet that it is developing a hot STi version of its BRZ sports car - and there's a roadster on the way too.

Subaru global marketing manager Atoshi Atake said at a presentation of the rear-wheel drive coupe in Europe that the carmaker had received many requests about a faster version.

"Let me say this - we will certainly satisfy our customers. We are already working on a faster version."

The new range-topping model is expected to take inspiration from the STi concept revealed at last year's Los Angeles motor show.

Under the bonnet will be a more powerful version of the 147kW 2-litre flat-four cylinder boxer engine from the standard car. It is likely to produce around 190kW.

"We can definitely develop the intake system," Atake said. "There is certainly room for improvement there."

In addition, there is likely to be a freer-flowing exhaust and modifications to the engine's variable valve control system, along with an even higher rev limit of around 7500rpm. The 147kW engine revs to 7000rpm and delivers 205Nm at 6000rpm.

Subaru says that it will not turbocharge the engine as there is no space at the front of the engine bay for an intercooler.

"Plus, we want to keep turbocharging separate. It is for models like the WRX STi," said Atake.

"The same goes for four-wheel-drive. We could not make the BRZ four-wheel-drive even if we wanted to."

He also said that supercharging had been dismissed because it would make the BRZ too heavy on fuel.

As well as more power, the BRZ STi is set to weigh even less than the 1250kg standard car, thanks to racing bucket seats and potentially a carbonfibre roof and bonnet, which will further help to lower the car's already low centre of gravity.

Other tweaks will include a dramatic body kit, stiffened and lowered suspension, lighter but larger 18-inch alloy wheels and upgraded brakes.

Asked if it was possible to make a convertible version of the BRZ, Atake said: "Yes, that is certainly possible. We already have pillarless doors - you can imagine how removing the roof would make the car look."

Subaru and Toyota have a global sales target of 100,000 models a year for the BRZ and its sister car, the GT 86. The The GT 86 goes on sale in New Zealand in August and the BRZ in December. Sales have already begun in Japan where Subaru has sold 3551 models in the last two months - four times what it expected.

Posted Image

This info and more can be found at: http://www.nzherald.co.nz

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 Forester 2.5i S

Forester 2.5i S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Nice.....
Jason & Tanya

MY15 Subaru Forester 2.5i S - Crystal White Pearl , CVT
MY12 Subaru XV 2.0i L - Obsidian Black Pearl , CVT

#3 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

No space for an intercooler. Hah.

WE WILL MAKE SPACE.

#4 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

gay spoiler, will be removing immediately. also don't like the honeycomb pattern behind the rear number plate. the rest of it is a ripper!

#5 jiggabite

jiggabite

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Have they completely forgotten about a certain intercooler position they have been using for almost 2 decades?
Convertable.... jizz. I hope it will look just as good with the roof up as it does down. Hopefully metal roof like the mx5, that would be a winner

#6 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

190kw from a NA 2ltr? What is this a honda? Will be interesting to see how these things go.

#7 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

Have they completely forgotten about a certain intercooler position they have been using for almost 2 decades?

Intake manifold faces the front of the car instead of the traditional reward facing setup, so a top mount is not really an option.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#8 jiggabite

jiggabite

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

Intake manifold faces the front of the car instead of the traditional reward facing setup, so a top mount is not really an option.

Make a new manifold?
However the engine is that low and back in the bay I doubt there would be enough room there for it.
What about smaller SMIC like the 300zx has?

#9 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Posted Image

signature_1_35.jpg

#10 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

WAY too much going on for my taste! too many STI badges. get rid of the lines going behind the subaru badge on the bonnet. black wheels.
or am i too picky? i guess i like a more sedate look....

#11 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Make a new manifold?
However the engine is that low and back in the bay I doubt there would be enough room there for it.
What about smaller SMIC like the 300zx has?

Can't see any room for a tmic unless they put it on top like those POS GTI-R

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

apparently HKS has finished off their bolt on turbo kit (FMIC) so will be interesting to see it installed

signature_1_35.jpg

#13 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

apparently HKS has finished off their bolt on turbo kit (FMIC) so will be interesting to see it installed

Supercharged?

Posted Image

#14 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

nah turbo as well. that super charger kit is already finished and running in the HKS FT86 drift car

signature_1_35.jpg

#15 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

http://www.tunehouse...secosworth-brz/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users