1104 replies to this topic

#61 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Sounds like is should be going for the 7.5ker thats missing the brembos then..

Just as long as it comes with hubs i should be able to use my rotors/calipars ??

#62 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

Your NA brakes will be horrifically under powered for a GD STi motor.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#63 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Im assuming he is going to supply me with

STI hubs ( arnt they required to use the R180 diff and drive shafts.)
4 pot calipars Assiming they fit on my current rotars.

Can i use these two with my current rotors ?

Or will i have to buy standard WRX rotors to suite the calipars ?

Thanks again guys.. this thread is going to have allot of basic questions along this path but its a great learning experiance for me so i appreciate all the info.

#64 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

Never ever ASSUME.

It'll make an ASS of U and ME.

etc etc.

Call and ask.

Clarify.

#65 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

yea iv been in email contact.. Just waiting to hear back from him. Got the money approved over the weekend so hopefully have it in the shed this week..

Cheers Vice

#66 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Your NA brakes will be horrifically under powered for a GD STi motor.

+1 on that, i just put 4pots and b4 vented rears on my wagon with v3 sti conversion. the stock brakes are like stomping on a wet sponge.

freeway.jpeg 

#67 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Should see if you can find the AVO 4 pot big brake conversion. It brings the rotors out to 330mm or something crazy for 4 pots.
http://www.subimods....it-slotted.html

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#68 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Well just got a reply.

hubs are there and we can supply the rotors to go with the 4 pot calipars, they are off a 97 GC8 STI, they have got Subaru cast on them.

So sounds like its good to go to me.. Should be transfering the money tomorrow :)

#69 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

are you talking front or rear hubs (sounds like they're talking about the fronts to me)? You don’t need the front hubs as the 4 pots bolt onto your current set up but you will need new rotors to match them

Should see if you can find the AVO 4 pot big brake conversion. It brings the rotors out to 330mm or something crazy for 4 pots.

i had these on my Legacy and they were great BUT when i went to get replacements i found that AVO didn't actually carry spare rotors and they had to be custom made by DBA. the replacement rotors almost cost as much as the whole kit

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#70 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

I would of thought they would supply hubs for front and the back ??

Im no brake expert and im learning allot fast. But arnt the 4 pots for the front and 2 pots on the back ??

#71 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Generally all you get from the rear end is the diff. If you just *happen* to get the back hubs without specifically asking for them you'd be pretty damned lucky.

Aek, I'd heard that before too. You couldn't use the brembo rotors? They're 330mm also aren't they?

#72 simon

simon

Mr POINTY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

wouldnt the brembo rotors be to thick??

SOLD Legacy GTB 

SOLD Gen 1 RS turbo wagon

SOLD Gen2 Outback limited

Car less atm.......Whats next??

#73 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

I would of thought they would supply hubs for front and the back ??

Im no brake expert and im learning allot fast. But arnt the 4 pots for the front and 2 pots on the back ??

I’ve never seen the rear hubs “included” with a half cut without being specifically asked for.

There are several different brake sets ups on Subaru. 2 pot front with single pot rear, 4 pot front with single pot rear, 4 pot front with 2 pot rear and brembo 4 pot front with brembo 2 pot rear.

The ones you’re talking about are the 4 pot front and 2 pot rear combo. The 4 pot fronts will fit on your current standard hubs (you don’t need the hubs, just the rotors). The rears will fit your current rear hubs with dogbone adaptors or with the matching hubs. You also need the matching rotors

EDIT: i forgot about going 6 speed. You'll need the front hubs for this!

wouldnt the brembo rotors be to thick??

Yeah Brembo rotors don’t fit

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#74 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Rugby league, surfing, cars, music (Rise Against)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

i had these on my Legacy and they were great BUT when i went to get replacements i found that AVO didn't actually carry spare rotors and they had to be custom made by DBA. the replacement rotors almost cost as much as the whole kit

Yeah Brembo rotors don’t fit

This will make things fun when It comes time to order new ones, what did you end up doing. If i remember correctly you where trying to flog them off haha

#75 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Email the bloke and ask him for an invoice listing the parts included in the price, individualised.

That way you can see exactly what is included.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#76 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Replacement rotors are too hard and too expensive to source.

edit: Aek's already mentioned this!

#77 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

Basically, as well as all the front gear you need:
Rear diff
Rear shafts
Rear hubs to suit the bigger R180 shafts
Rear 2 pot calipers and discs.
Depending on what box you get, the Tail shaft.

In terms of front drivetrain:
Front struts
Front 4 pot calipers and discs to suit
Front shafts (should be part of cut)
Front hubs to suit the larger shafts (also, should be part of cut) I dont know if this is needed, but it sounds logical, can someone clarify this

Brembos are nice, but if you are hard on the cash side, they can wait. 4/2 pot upgrade from N/A will keep Motor reg/RTA happy enough.
If you can afford it, get some uprated suspension (the front will be sorted from the cut, but see if you can find some matching rears that will bolt in - again, to keep RTA happy)

Odds and sods:
You will need to splice the looms as previously mentioned - Al and Miles up at AM Auto are the place to go. Pretty good prices too.
Turbo bonnet will be needed. Expect prices between 500 to 1000 for this once painted.
You will probably have to make up a custom air guide for the TMIC from the bonnet to the IC. (GDB STi top mount is huge compared to the 00 TT TMIC)

Would be advisable to change the brake master cylinder over, but check what you have to make sure first. I remember reading somewhere that some models had smaller master cylinders that are not compatible with the brembos (working on the assumption you will eventually put them on as you are talking about it). Better safe than sorry. Also a requirement of the RTA when upgrading brakes. Research is key here.

While you have the motor out, do the 100k service on it. One, its easier to do it with the motor out, and two, it saves lots of heart ache later when silly things like water pumps fail. You dont know the history of the 50 odd thousand k previous to your ownership.
Also, change the clutch. They are supposed to and very often do last 120 to 150 thousand km, but if its had a hard life, that will be drastically shortened.

I know this sounds bad, and will increase the costs, but it will be worth doing, believe me.

Thats all I can think of for now, and its getting close to knock off, so I will leave you with those thoughts.
Enjoy, she'll be a different car when you are finished.

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#78 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

Oh, and dont forget small things like front/rear sway bars, the NA ones will promote under steer when under throttle.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#79 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the replys guys.. Love the detail as its helping me understand and prepare for everything.

Im planning on this taking a month or two, and taking my time with it.

I was thinking of sourcing another liberty loom so i can send it off with the STI one to Al after my next pay.. I will have the VW to drive to work in but its not the best car to drive in rain/dark so if i can keep the lib on the road as long as possible that would be a plus.

As for the bonnet allpaw4 i was thinking i would just cut a hole in the current one and fit a STI scoop ?? I like the big scoops from the STI`s.. I know its a little boy racer but i dont mind...

Cheers.

#80 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Well my bank account is now $7950 lighter.. He just told me on the phone it comes with blisten coilovers on the front too.. So thats a bonus.. Should be here by Friday.

Excited its all happening..

Cheers Vice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)