10 replies to this topic

#1 ReDMaN_82

ReDMaN_82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

gday guys..

just want to get some thought or ideas..

i have a manual gen 3 2003 outback. i had the clutch die and got a new one installed from my mechanic who converted it from dual mass to solid state.

the car drove well for about 3000kms and then it all started turning a bit shitty. sometimes it would feel metallic to push clutch pedal in and would squeak.. other times as i let my foot out, it felt as if the clutch was holding and would then jerk. car drives brilliantly from 3rd gear and up. stop start is a mongrel.

I took it back to mech and he said sounds like master and slave cylinder. replaced that and it drove alright again for about 1000kms. just recently had 200,000km service and he commented that it feels like shit again.

He wants the car for 4-5 days to pull the clutch back out and send it to be accessed. if they find a problem with the clutch they will take responsibility and i will wear no additional costs. if they dont i have to pay for more labour and get back a car thats not driving like it used to.

Also when im sitting at 110 i can hear a rattling sound. didnt use to be there until after clutch replacement. when i put clutch in, the sound is still there.. mech who test drove reckons its gearbox sound... does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? should i take it back to this guy or should i find someone else.

thanx for your help guys.

#2 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

mate i feel you pain. i had my clutch and flywheel replaced in december and ever since, when it gets hot the clutch pedal sticks in. and when i take of second gear at low rpm sounds like a truck crunching gears!
good luck with yours! sounds a bit more serious than mine.

#3 ReDMaN_82

ReDMaN_82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

yeah its a pain in the arse.. to any of the mechs on here would a clutch fork have anything to do with the above problems??

been doing some reading and apparently the outbacks have a fairly common clutch fork problem and when the clutch goes you should normally replace master/slave cylinder and clutch forks also? does this sound correct..

i dont know sh*t about mechanics so just researching and learning where i can.

cheers guys.

#4 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

The way you say it now "turns shitty" and it shutters at low speed, sounds like a centre diff/viscous coupling to me.

I never replaced the fork in mine, and it's not common to fail (otherwise it would happen in every manual Subaru with DMF, Impreza's, Foresters, Liberty's, Outback's - basically the lot) - BUT if you changed to a solid flywheel, it probably should of been changed.

FWIW, Subaru do a conversion kit that has the flywheel, clutch kit, fork, bolts and springs in it.

when it gets hot the clutch pedal sticks in

And that sounds like a slave cylinder.
Replace the slave, the hose and the spring on the clutch pedal.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#5 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

could be something as simple as the nose that the clutch throw out bearing slides on is dry ( should have been cleaned and re lubricated when the clutch was changed) also the clutch fork is different from single to dual mass flywheelss, as is the throw out bearing, ifthese were not changed when the rest was it could be contributing to the problem.

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#6 ReDMaN_82

ReDMaN_82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hey Guys.

Sorted the car and thought i would let you know what it was incase of other people with the same problems.

It was a combination of two things. I had to replace the clutch pivot point, and also the clutch fork had a small crack in it apparently.

got the car back and it feels fantastic again.

:sarcastic:

#7 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

What do you mean by clutch pivot point?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#8 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Glad to hear you got it sorted, Matt!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#9 ReDMaN_82

ReDMaN_82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Xon if i knew mate id let you know.. took it to my mechanic who has done heaps with all my cars and he dropped the box and fixed the clutch fork and apparently the pivot point was responsible for the squeaking and metallic grinding feel when engaging the clutch.

i have no idea about this sorta stuff.. basic work only for me.. lol

#10 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Ah right, he's probably referring to the big metal rod that the fork pivots on then. Glad it's all sorted for you!

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#11 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

Your mechanic sounds like a decent bloke.

Im glad you gave him the opportunity to have another go at it. Had you gone elsewhere, the process would have started again.

I can't stress enough how bad it is jumping from one mechanic to the next as soon as a little thing goes wrong.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users