←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

2000 Gen3 Outback Limited

Cam.'s Photo Cam. 02 Sep 2012

Want the spoiler!

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 03 Sep 2012

Decided it was time to de-badge the car. TOO many badges on these Outback's. All has gone well apart from the Outback badge on the back leaving this behind for me to figure out what to do with it.

Any thoughts anyone??

Glad to hear it's up and running again.

Stick the Outback badge back on. Given that it's an Outback, I think it will match the car perfectly. Otherwise, spend $$'s on filling the holes and respray.

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 03 Sep 2012

Weld holes and tailgate respray or just put badge back on. I did the later as my tailgate paints too good to need painting.

I just removed all other badges.

Steveee's Photo Steveee 03 Sep 2012

Gen 4 badge

Posted Image

bobbyjimmy's Photo bobbyjimmy 03 Sep 2012

Or a Lancaster badge.

ScoobyOutback's Photo ScoobyOutback 03 Sep 2012

Hey all,

As bobbyjimmy said I have bought a Lancaster badge and plan to put that on. And dont like the gen4 badges.

I knew that the holes where going to be there. What I didnt plan on was the fact that the badge has actually pulled paint off of the tailgate.

Got two different prices today to get it fixed and both of them said around $300.

Not really sure what I should do. But dont want to go back to the old Outback badges. Ive bought a Legacy garnish so running with the whole JDM theme.

Beckers's Photo Beckers 03 Sep 2012

Weld up the 2 holes then get the lower section of the tailgate painted.
Problem solved.

bobbyjimmy's Photo bobbyjimmy 04 Sep 2012

Got pictures of how much paint the badge ripped off?

Jon's Photo Jon 05 Sep 2012

Cheers everyone for your thoughts and compliments.

The end result was the head gasket was weeping so therefore needed to be replaced and in the process had replacment heads put on. End cost was $2700.

Though what came next I wasnt expecting. When my mechanic put the motor back in and re attached it back the transmission he hadn't do something quit right and the next day from picking it up when i was driving it the transmission was playing up and wouldn't engage the gears. Auto trans by the way.

So I took it back to him on the saturday and on the monday he informed me that from his wrong doing the transmission was now f**ked and I was getting a BRAND new transmission for nothing $3500 worth.

Something to do with the pump not working therefore not pumping fluid around the transmission.

So all in all the car runs fantastic now. Feels like what the car would have felt like when it was new.

Decided it was time to de-badge the car. TOO many badges on these Outback's. All has gone well apart from the Outback badge on the back leaving this behind for me to figure out what to do with it.

Posted Image

Any thoughts anyone?? I have bought a Lancaster Badge to go back over it but it doesnt cover it completely.

i would have the holes welded and do a respray, $300 really isnt to bad.

also just give them your Legacy garnish they have to take the other one off anyway

ScoobyOutback's Photo ScoobyOutback 07 Sep 2012

NOT wanting to get the holes welded. Ive bought a Lancaster badge to go over it but it just doesnt cover up all the damage.

Posted Image
Posted Image

These images are the best I could get. Ive got some touch up paint so I might have a go at that first before I spend big money getting it fixed.

Steveee's Photo Steveee 07 Sep 2012

Take the paint code to a shop get probably 2 cans. probably two layer paint and just touch it up lightly

aekOne's Photo aekOne 07 Sep 2012

$300?? when i debadged my car and had the holes welded and painted it cost me $70

bobbyjimmy's Photo bobbyjimmy 07 Sep 2012

Have you tried cutting and polishing it?

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 07 Sep 2012

That doesn't look like the paint has been pulled off... That looks like glue residue left on the paint from the badge. Get some wax and grease remover onto it to see if it comes off, followed by a polish.

Have you tried cutting and polishing it?

Sadly yeah I have. Both by the panel store and a car detailer.

That doesn't look like the paint has been pulled off... That looks like glue residue left on the paint from the badge. Get some wax and grease remover onto it to see if it comes off, followed by a polish.

Nah both panel stores and the detailer said that its down to the primer. Have done all the wax and grease remover and polish etc.

When I took the badge off I noticed that both ends off the badge where already coming off as well as the centre. Really the only thing holding it there where the 2 pins. I think over time maybe the vibrations along with dirt and grim have made the paint do what its done. Maybe. Only just guessing there.

bobbyjimmy's Photo bobbyjimmy 07 Sep 2012

I'll guess that your car's been smacked in the arse before and the smash repairers put the badge on while the paint was almost dry.

Go and see a few other shops and see if any of them will 'blend' the lift gate for you.

I'll guess that your car's been smacked in the arse before and the smash repairers put the badge on while the paint was almost dry.

Go and see a few other shops and see if any of them will 'blend' the lift gate for you.

I reckon your spot on the money there mate. By looking at the paint deference in the passenger front door and some spots with sanding marks in the paint it wouldnt surprise me. Both the panel places said they'd plend the paint across the tailgate. I am going to get some more prices and ideas next week.

On the up side the Legacy rear garnish arrived today so will be putting that on in the next couple of days.

Beckers's Photo Beckers 08 Sep 2012

I reckon your spot on the money there mate. By looking at the paint deference in the passenger front door and some spots with sanding marks in the paint it wouldnt surprise me. Both the panel places said they'd plend the paint across the tailgate. I am going to get some more prices and ideas next week.

On the up side the Legacy rear garnish arrived today so will be putting that on in the next couple of days.

Ive got the legacy garnish & i love it, People always ask what kind of car is that ??
I only paid $160 for mine so heaps cheaper the the standard subi one.

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 09 Sep 2012

Nah both panel stores and the detailer said that its down to the primer. Have done all the wax and grease remover and polish etc.

When I took the badge off I noticed that both ends off the badge where already coming off as well as the centre. Really the only thing holding it there where the 2 pins. I think over time maybe the vibrations along with dirt and grim have made the paint do what its done. Maybe. Only just guessing there.

Ah OK. That makes sense.
It's completely uncharacteristic for a badge to do that, so the accident damage theory sounds like a good one.
$300 is $300 though. If you're happy enough with the paint on the back, I'd save the money, buy a brand new outback badge To cover the weirdness and spend the rest on booze and BBQ ribs.
Win.