• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:00 PM

ey guys, lookin around for a few prices on some TBE systems, got a quote of liverpool exhaust for $2900 which was 2.5' off the turbo then 3' for the rest of the zaust system which includes a varex muffler any other places you guys can check? just getting rough pricing atm as im still looking for the car, and putting money aside haha. p.s i found the mods section soop :sarcastic:
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#2 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

Haha good stuff. Although in your defense, it didn't exist prior.
What exact car do you wish to fit a TBE too?
If its twin turbo, From what I've read the best method is as follows:
2.5" Primary dump pipe
3.0" Secondary dump pipe
3.0" Catalytic converter back.

Obviously the muffler is what ever you want it to be. Although i can vouch for the Varex as being a quality product. Frank (Fatcat67)has one fitted to his built EJ257 powered B4. They are certainly the goods.
If how ever you decide to purchase a Single turbo charged car, then a straight 3" Turbo back exhaust is the best method.

It may be worth your while to get in contact with Michael South. He manufactures exhaust components for various cars, including Subaru's.
His dump pipes designed for the Single turbo applications have received rave reviews and he is a big name among performance enthusiasts.
Here is his website:
http://www.msenginee...com.au/wrx.html

I hope this is of some use.
Cheers, Paul.
TSM

#3 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hey soop, cheers man. haha yea i know i read your first post about the mods section and thought to myself.. "swear that wasnt there before" im looking at purchasing a TT b4 and im putting aside a few funds to get some mods done which i had on my old rx (strut braces. hid's etc), again thanks for the info. ive been looking into the varex mufflers a fair bit, they look perfect for what i am after, i think its worth the 400 ish they are asking, plus its good to be able to silence it on demand, though no way im getting a canon. much prefer teh twin 3' tip zaust they got listed
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#4 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

I strongly suggest you look at changing the engine tune, but that's another thread totally.
TSM

#5 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

i already plan on abusing the sexy kosti so got that one coverd :)

#6 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

Haha good stuff. Although in your defense, it didn't exist prior.
What exact car do you wish to fit a TBE too?
If its twin turbo, From what I've read the best method is as follows:
2.5" Primary dump pipe
3.0" Secondary dump pipe
3.0" Catalytic converter back.

Obviously the muffler is what ever you want it to be. Although i can vouch for the Varex as being a quality product. Frank (Fatcat67)has one fitted to his built EJ257 powered B4. They are certainly the goods.
If how ever you decide to purchase a Single turbo charged car, then a straight 3" Turbo back exhaust is the best method.

It may be worth your while to get in contact with Michael South. He manufactures exhaust components for various cars, including Subaru's.
His dump pipes designed for the Single turbo applications have received rave reviews and he is a big name among performance enthusiasts.
Here is his website:
http://www.msenginee...com.au/wrx.html

I hope this is of some use.
Cheers, Paul.

I can vouch for this setup as this is what I have on mine. Ask for spliiters in the dump pipes too as, believe it or not, will help immensly. Also try to get your tune done after you have your exhaust on their as you will get the most out of it this way. Here are some examples of a fantastic exhaust........may even be the perfect setup.....lol

Posted Image Posted Image

Just Married

#7 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:52 PM

By "Splitter" are you referring to the divided waste gate port? Can you provide some additional information on this?
TSM

#8 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:02 PM

By "Splitter" are you referring to the divided waste gate port?
Can you provide some additional information on this?

The splitter position and length is all very important to get the most from the system. If the splitter is made too short it will give poor results, and must be lengthened to suit the turbo. When the waste gate opens, and no splitter is used, most of the air flow from this flows directly into the path of the main flow, thus reducing gas flow and creating turbulence which increases the exhaust pressure...... It is important that the splitter be as short as possible once inside the collector, but it must be a neat fit in the back of the turbo giving an optimum seal.

Questions?

Just Married

#9 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

Posted Image

Just Married

#10 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Here is a more pronounced splitter. Obviously to suit a different turbo.
Posted Image

And here is some further information regarding dump pipes in general. Courtesy of Michael South racing.

The splitter position and length is all very important to get the most from the system. The short one off a TDO4 used on a VF turbo will give poor results, and must be lengthened to suit the Vf turbo. The waste gate only opens to 30 odd deg, most of the air flow from this flows directly into the path of the main flow, this reduces gas flow, creates turbulence and increases the exhaust pressure between the exhaust valves and turbo. Hold them apart for longer reduces the size available for the main flow to expand, so it is important that the splitter be as short as possible once inside the collector, but it must be a neat fit in the back of the turbo giving an optimum seal.

The diameter and length of the taper on the collector also plays a role as to how and where maximum torque is delivered. Also having a huge bearing on torque band is pipe direction leading into the rear muffler, with an angled rear muffler torque is lost through the mid RPM, but with some small gains made to top end.

Using an S bend leading into the rear muffler via 2 90degs back to back offers the most torque in the mid range, reducing the angles from 2 x 90 degs to 45 degs moves peak torque up through the rpm, using almost straight pipe with angled muffler provides and very linier power band, smooth delivery of power with no "kick" as a result from noticeable losses in torque in the mid range. The S bend has a huge bearing on torque in the mid range, after consulting with Prodrive they verified this for me, a straight pipe might see more top end power, but the loss of low down out weighs the gains.

Also changing the rear tail pipe section from 3" to 2.5" helps torque, using 2.5" rear mufflers greatly help mid range with gains on WRX/STI set ups. Pressure at the turbo is not effected with this and helps to keep gas speed up for better power.

The key to good power on any turbo car is the exhaust system and its design. An exhaust will always determine the total power output of a car and how well it responds to other mod's, based on how well it works. It isn't just about how MUCH boost the exhaust lets the engine run, it is about how WELL it can run the boost it has.

http://www.msenginee...ustsystems.html

So according to the information contained on that page.
It would seem that Japanese tuning houses don't angle the rear muffler up for no apparent reason after all. Hpf, you learn new something everyday.
TSM

#11 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:17 PM

That is excellent stuff soop, that first paragraph looks awfully close to what i posted. good to know that the info I've had on my computer for about a year is correct..lol

Just Married

#12 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

Mav, 3g sounds like a total rip off when mine was only $1000, all stainless. My exhaust is a TCP one. Its made for the WRXs but is easy to modify for the Libertys. As for splitters in the dump pipes, mine broke off and was clanging around at the front of the cat. My car doesn't have one anymore but I don't think I've noticed any differences. Split dump pipes are a different story but. A lot of people I've spoken too have talked about boost spikes due to the exhaust and wastegate pipes being separate. Maybe on the bigger turbos they're good, but for the standard ones they're not worth a pinch of shit apparently. J

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#13 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:39 PM

Split dump pipes are a different story but. A lot of people I've spoken too have talked about boost spikes due to the exhaust and wastegate pipes being separate. Maybe on the bigger turbos they're good, but for the standard ones they're not worth a pinch of shit apparently.

Ive got a split dump on mine atm. Zero boost spikes since ive had it and the car goes really well. But im very interetsed in the difference if any. After i finish a few things and have dyno'd the GT, Im going to get an open mouth dump with a splitter in it and do a comparison.

OEM+

#14 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

Split dumps are good for big f*ck off turbo's and high boost/rpm deals.
TSM

#15 boost

boost

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:cars with boost, cars that need no boost, etc..

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

That price sounds expensive mate.. You can get an MRT 'tuned' zorst for the b4 for less than that (no varex but)...
AWD + BOOST = SEXY TIME

#16 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:06 PM

Split dumps are good for big f*ck off turbo's and high boost/rpm deals.

So keep it for my VF34 then. ;)

OEM+

#17 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:07 PM

Vf23 maybe. Vf34 is still a baby. GT3071 is the go. Now stop whoreing Mav's thread unless you have something to add.
TSM

#18 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

Vf23 maybe. Vf34 is still a baby.

Ya beat me, I was going to edit and say, still probably not big enough. :D

OEM+

#19 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

Now stop whoreing Mav's thread unless you have something to add.

Ease up sonny, its not Ozlib.......

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#20 boost

boost

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:cars with boost, cars that need no boost, etc..

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Posted Image

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Anyways.. it's a noob thread... gunna buy a b4... gunna put a zorst on it...
AWD + BOOST = SEXY TIME

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users