• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:14 AM

yes... i know the projectors in general have been covered to death but i still havent been able to locate a diy for installing them.....

i have in my possession a set of JDM lights that i would obviously love to install for the rubbish AUDM ones but me and electronics usually dont work well together. so i was hoping that from the shear number of people who have done this conversion we might be able to do a step by step of the wiring to help me (and others in the future) along with as many pics of the install as possible.

my initial concern lies with the fact that the wires behind the projectors have been clipped... i assume this was to make removal easier etc. does that mean that soldering these into the current wires is required??

anyway please feel free to post anything that may be advantageous.

Cheers

Edit: that would be right as soon as i post this i find a right up that Xon has done on ozlib. continue to post other pics of actual installs though , the more info the better

#2 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Good to hear you found the info mate. When you install them you should take some pics and write up a DIY for suby club since no one seems to have done it yet :)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#3 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

If you want I can go take some more pictures in the light tomorrow. The wiring is dead simple, but if you're not even comfortable with a little light soldering I'd say it's not for you.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#4 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Luke, the one you did on OzLib isnt actually correct with the wiring and doesnt have the lights working as oem. (From what I remember of your install pics)

Mine are wired a tad differently.

OEM+

#5 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

Yeah a few more pics wod be great xon, cheers. It's not that I'm uncomfortable with a little soldering, it's more that I've never done it haha but I'm willing to try it.

The ozlib write was discussed further in the thread and corrected though wasn't it?

#6 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

Luke, the one you did on OzLib isnt actually correct with the wiring and doesnt have the lights working as oem. (From what I remember of your install pics)

Mine are wired a tad differently.

There's a correction later on in the thread mate. The only difference is moving the ground directly to the chassis, so that the low beams stay on when you flick the high beams on.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#7 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

http://www.subyclub....rade-high-beam/

has some info

Posted Image

#8 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

ok so ive been doing the install on and off all day the last hurdle for me is the configuration of the wiring... on the headlights loom there are 4 wires as you look at it the bottom left is a ground to the chassis. is the bottom right also a ground to the chassis?? i cant seem to figure it out so that even the low beams come on.....

#9 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

There's a correction later on in the thread mate. The only difference is moving the ground directly to the chassis, so that the low beams stay on when you flick the high beams on.

Yeh thats it.

Sorry I didnt read further down, just the initial post.

OEM+

#10 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

so this is off the ozlib diy
Posted Image

i understand that blue is grounded to the chassis but which order do the other 3 plug into the h4 loom?? is the top of the h4 loom the 12v constant etc???

#11 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

so ive tried every combination and still no luck..... any other suggestions other than giving it tio someone who knows what they are doing??

#12 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

Have you got a wiring diagram?

Posted Image

#13 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

ive looked through the repair manual but it doesnt specify which of the h4 loom plugs are which.

#14 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

It's in my DIY dude. Looking at the H4 loom so you have the wires coming out the bottom (and the middle pin is up the top), the constant goes on the right, and the hi-beam ground on the left. The middle pin is for the low beam ground, but since they ground to the chassis now that's not necessary.

#15 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

i gave up on the drivers side... (i think i may have fused something) the passenger side wiring now has all the lights on but not when they need to be. i.e they are all on when the switch is set to low beam and no change when flicked to high beam. i have also read over the the link adam posted several times but cant seem to rectify the situation.

sorry for the basic misunderstanding of wiring on my behalf.

Xon, to clarify there are only 2 of the 3 h4 loom plugs in use that is the left and the right which have the high beam ground and constant respectively (red and yellow in the above diagram)

this,therefore leaves two wires to be grounded to the chassis?

#16 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

This is why baby Jesus does not permit Legacy lookalikes.

#17 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

No. Only one wire should be grounded. The remaining wire is for the parkers, which needs to be wired into the parker circuit.

Triple check you don't actually have the high beams turned on, and then try swapping the two ground wires so that the one currently in the plug is grounding on the chassis, and the one current grounding on the chassis is now grounding in the plug.

#18 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

I can help with photos of mine, but not until the weekend, mate!

I think mine was a bit different to the wiring diagram. So if you don't sort it out by then ill try post up some pics.

This is why baby Jesus does not permit Legacy lookalikes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 lockstock

lockstock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Baby jesus should have made all gen2's come with projector lights. i dont want these for looks, i want them for better night vision (HID will eventually come)

may have the passenger all sorted now, went back to the drivers side and checked the wires were all the same as passenger, all good but no light, checked the h1 bulb and its blown. off to supercheap for new h1's. will report back later

#20 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

checked the h1 bulb and its blown. off to supercheap for new h1's. will report back later

haha that might help :P

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users