• Please log in to reply
430 replies to this topic

#41 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

If I were you mate I wouldn't let your mechanic tackle the wiring. He might think he can do it, but it'll take 3x longer and then he'll get fed up and tell you he doesn't want to do it anymore. And even if he does finish it, you'll probably have niggly things that don't work, like you'll be cruising to Sydney and realise he's wired up the cruise wrong.

Send it to Al, it'll take him a week and everything will work. And if you want, he'll even wire in an alarm so it looks like factory install.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#42 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Yeah, we're gonna pull the engine out this arvo, and then strip te Posted Image out of it and start with the 100,000km service.
Ended up buying a genuine timing belt kit, with water pump.
Got a oem replacement clutch made by clutch industries...
And we're half and half about the loom. Well see how we go. :)
[03.SUBY]

#43 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yeah, there is no way I would try and tackle the wiring if I was working on a timeframe.

I would if it was a long build (Which is what I will do with my CA18 -> KE70 conversion) but for the sake of under $1k, you're better off sending it to Al.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#44 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, there is no way I would try and tackle the wiring if I was working on a timeframe.

I would if it was a long build (Which is what I will do with my CA18 -> KE70 conversion) but for the sake of under $1k, you're better off sending it to Al.

Cheers,
Shazza

Just spoke to Al, he will be away all next week. So could take a couple weeks to complete...
[03.SUBY]

#45 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

It'll probably still take your local guy more time to work out it dude. I bet if you rock up with the loom in hand, he'll take 1 look at it and go "Yeah, nah. Someone else can do that."

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#46 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hahahaa, yeah... I might do the smart thing and get it sent. That way I can just plug it in, and we're off. :)

I hope :/
[03.SUBY]

#47 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hahahaa, yeah... I might do the smart thing and get it sent. That way I can just plug it in, and we're off. :)

I hope :/

Thats how they work man. I ran all the loom, plugged everything in, and I was away.

Piece of piss.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#48 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Looks like I'll be doing it this way. Just means the car will be off the road for a bit longer. :(
Riding my moto to work :)
[03.SUBY]

#49 Murf B4

Murf B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

are you just splicing your outback loom into a bug loom?

MY02 LIBERTY B4 - LAST DYNO'D @ 375.4KW-ATW    403.5KW-ATW

Next Dyno will be 400+ :)

#50 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

are you just splicing your outback loom into a bug loom?

That was the idea..

25 minutes and I'm out of here to go take the engine out!!! So excited its starting now. Worth the wait!
[03.SUBY]

#51 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

Okie dokie, so we spent a couple of hours tonight pulling out all the dash, and some of the engine bay components like the loom, AC, some pumps etc...
Tomorrow we will be putting the whole half cut on the hoist, and getting underneath it to drain all the remaining fluids. After that, the engine will be coming out and getting rid of the rest of the half cut and dash.

If anyone needs any dash parts or engine bay parts that I wont be using, pay for postage and like $10 or so and theyre yours ($10 to cover me taking the time to pack them etc).

After the engine comes out of the WRX, we will start doing the 100,000km service using a Genuine Subaru timing belt kit with pulleys and tensioner, as well as Genuine water pump.
Sunday will be a big day!
[03.SUBY]

#52 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

id keep the halfcut untill the conversion is complete mate , you never know what you may need.

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#53 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

id keep the halfcut untill the conversion is complete mate , you never know what you may need.

Sorry mate I never saw this..
We got rid of the half cut shell from the wrx, ended up getting $19 back for scrap!
Posted Image
[03.SUBY]

#54 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

Little bit of an update...

Things are going pretty good with the conversion!
We took the engine and gearbox out of the WRX cut, as well as pretty much every clip, screw and anything else we could get off it, and are going to keep them until after we have completed the whole conversion.

Engine out!

Posted Image

Posted Image

We also changed the timing belt on the new engine, and the oil filter, water pump etc while the engine is out.
Took us a bit to take the gearbox off the motor, but eventually did and found the clutch completely fu cked. In with the new Clutch Indistries OEM replacement clutch.
Also had the flywheel machined while it was apart.

Now for the loom, what a complete peice of shart. Its way bigger than anything I have seen in the way of looms, so I will be in contact with Al from AMauto first thing Monday to see what I need to send up to him to splice during the week. Then, we will have the whole week to get the rex engine into the Outback.

So, the WRX motor and gearbox are pretty much ready to go back in as soon as we get the OUTBACK apart.

I accidentally ran into a towball a month or so ago, so i pulled the from bumper off the car and saw that the reo bar was rooted, had a big hole in the middle of the bar..
So, desperately need to find a new reo bar and front bumper, called all the wreckers between Port Macquarie and Gold Coast, and nothing!
Damnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Also drained all the fluids off the OUTBACK engine and gearbox, and also unplugged and undid all the screws and bolts in the upper section of the engine bay.
Just need to undo the engine mounts and whatever else holding the engine and gearbox in the car and out she comes, then to dismantle the dash so we can get the loom out to send to AMauto.

Posted Image

Also scored a new turbo bumper from Ichiban, should arrive tomorrow!

Posted Image

Got a set of Bendix Ultimates for a very, very cheap price out of Repco, ended up saving about $300 all up on all filters, fluids brakes etc from Repco! Stoked!
[03.SUBY]

#55 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Good to see the progress! This is gonna be awesome when complete :D

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#56 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

I am looking at upgrading the exhaust system too, before I crank the car over, so looking at replacing the headers to the turbo, then the dump pipe, get a straight pipe made up into my STI muffler.

Any recommendations????
[03.SUBY]

#57 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

dont worry about changing the headers or up-pipe just go turbo back (dump,mid,muffler)

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#58 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Sam,

I've heard that if you do a 3" turbo back system, then reduce it to 2.5" after the diff that it had proven torque results. I went for a 3" turbo back with heat wrapping on the dump pipe, then into a racecat (I think it was 100 or 200cpi) then 3" all the way back to a massive 19" oval muffler with a 3" straight tip, painted black.

Cheers,
Shazza

#59 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

If you are planning on getting a tune. Talk to the tuner?

Sam,

I've heard that if you do a 3" turbo back system, then reduce it to 2.5" after the diff that it had proven torque results. I went for a 3" turbo back with heat wrapping on the dump pipe, then into a racecat (I think it was 100 or 200cpi) then 3" all the way back to a massive 19" oval muffler with a 3" straight tip, painted black.

Cheers,
Shazza

Pretty much what I've got, but my heat wrapping and drive shafts had an argument one day.

Posted Image

#60 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

http://www.msenginee..._rd_exhaust.htm

EL headers sound awesome but!

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gen3, turbo, outback turbo, jdm, wrx, engine, conversion, STI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users