Swap EJ20 to EJ25 help

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Dizi86

Dizi86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Modding cars and BIG car audio.

Currently converting a Subaru Impreza RX from an EJ20 to an EJ25 Turbo (Maybe Twin Turbo) and im going to finish it off with a complete Kicker system! Im thinking 4 Kicker 15" L7 solos with lost of splits and amps

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

It threw a rod, the BE bearing went in it but the guy i bought it from had that much oil in it i couldnt hear it at first. The new motor ive got for it has just been rebuilt thats why i want to put it in my car

#22 Dizi86

Dizi86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Currently converting a Subaru Impreza RX from an EJ20 to an EJ25 Turbo (Maybe Twin Turbo) and im going to finish it off with a complete Kicker system! Im thinking 4 Kicker 15" L7 solos with lost of splits and amps

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Will this be too big of a job?

#23 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Frying pan into the fire mate.

That's a Gen2 RX motor, which are are well known for blowing head gaskets. If you were going to bother spending the time and money converting, go for a Gen3 varient. the last thing you want is for the "new" engine to pop not long after you've finished installing everything.

Just a thought... what happened to the EJ20? If it's just the head blown, wouldn't that be a cheaper, less intensive and more reliable fix?

+1,000,000

Find a Subaru wrecker, Buy a replacement EJ20 to suit, Give it a good service while it's out, Throw it in, Enjoy.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#24 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Will this be too big of a job?

It will be a big job, no doubt. Not a massive job, but big considering the gains are minimal and you're replacing one busted engine with one that is known for questionable reliability; I'd be looking at the damage to and the cost of repairing the existing engine before looking at an engine swap. The EJ20 is usually a pretty robust thing. But, that's just me.

If you're set on a conversion and excited about it, go for it!

#25 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

+1 for good advise all round.

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#26 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

I believe its an issue using an 8 bolt box with a 4 bolt block, but you definitely don't have to do anything the other way around.

It's no issue. You tap a thread in the bolt hole and use a bolt. OR wind a stud in. OR drill the back of the bellhousing slightly to accept a bolt head and push it through from behind.

There's plenty of solutions.

Sweet as....clears that up and as you said heaps off solutions if he goes ahead with it...
Posted Image

#27 Dizi86

Dizi86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

Thanks heaps for your help guys there is heaps of usefull info for me to consider! In the couple of days that iver been on here i have managed to find an EJ25 98 rx impreza ecu to go with the motor ive got so ill keep you guys posted on how it all goes! :) again thanks heaps for the help.

Dizi86

#28 Dizi86

Dizi86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

Hi guys just another question, the guy i am buying the ECU off just mentioned that i may need to "splice" the wiring loom?? Is this only if i was going to use the EJ20 wiring loom? because i am going to be using the EJ25 wiring loom. Cheers

#29 Dizi86

Dizi86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hi Guys!! Thought i would give you a quick update! I have located an EJ25 Turbo ECU, Wiring loom, Turbo, Turbo exhaust manifold, Turbo injectors, New decomp pistons, cosworth head gasket, new crank and full gasket kit so all i need to do is put it all together and put it in! will upload photos as i go! :)

#30 wain

wain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

hi i just joined this site.12 months ago i bought a 98 outback gen2.what a lemon.the speedo stopped working -common problem.head gaskets blowing - common problem.what do i expect to happen next.5 months ago i replaced the head gaskets and had the heads ground and tested.also replaced the timing belt while the motor was out.also replaced any sus bearings in the belt drive path.last week the gear with the teeth below the tensioner had a bearing failure and seized.the car has done 320000kms so not worth pulling down to repair.i cant find another motor anywhere as they are scarce as hens teeth.i would never recommend that model to anyone if they were buying a car.not happy jan.it is my work car too.

#31 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Plenty of success stories, mate! My last car had 320+ ks

Just put a turbo motor in it :P

Posted Image

#32 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

My guess is that it's had a hard life before you got your hands onto it. Plenty of Subaru's have made it well into the 400,000kms. Like any car though, you have to look after it. (Not blaming you - rather owners before you).

Hope you can sort something out and get the old girl back up and running.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#33 suminahh!

suminahh!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hey you won't have to use the 25 ecu you should be about just use the 20 ecu cause it should be self leaning like my one and if you are getting a ej25D for your Subaru it will just go in easy it plug and play you will need to change something's on but should run fine cause I had a gen1 liberty and my ej22 went in it so I got the ej25 and got it put in and it run fine with the 22 ecu and but i don't have that anymore I now got a 95 impreza wagon and I end up putting a ej25S out of a 2000 liberty and I got my 18 ecu running that I had to change some plugs and other thing so it could run but I have it run now and it go's a lot better then other

And the best way to found out how to do it is just go on google and look up ej20 to ej25 swap and that will help you cause it help me with my one

#34 wain

wain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

alls good now.at least till next time lol

#35 Mattyjones

Mattyjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

Hey guys I was just wondering I have a Subaru g ej20 1996 model.. I want to turbo it by changing everything to ej25 turbo motor gearbox and computer. Can this all just bolt on bolt off or do I need to changes fair few things. Or would it be easier to put a ej20 turbo in? Thanks

#36 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

Get a half cut and swap it all in, get the looms sliced, swap ecu's and your away. Mechanically the Ej20/25 swap is same same. Have a look through the liberty build section. All the info is there as plenty of people have done it

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#37 Mattyjones

Mattyjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

Sweet as thanks heaps mate helped alott

#38 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Sorry, but this really needs to be mentioned. Putting a 2.5L motor in with an untouched 2.0L ecu is a receipe for disaster. Yes, they may be able to self-learn, but this is a very fine adjustment, used to help correct light knocking etc. IT WILL NOT suddenly adjust your injectors to feed an additional 25% more fuel. If you think you can do this, go for it. But you WILL hand grenade the engine.

Sorry for the rant, but there is some really interesting comments here.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#39 suminahh!

suminahh!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

Sorry, but this really needs to be mentioned. Putting a 2.5L motor in with an untouched 2.0L ecu is a receipe for disaster. Yes, they may be able to self-learn, but this is a very fine adjustment, used to help correct light knocking etc. IT WILL NOT suddenly adjust your injectors to feed an additional 25% more fuel. If you think you can do this, go for it. But you WILL hand grenade the engine.

Sorry for the rant, but there is some really interesting comments here.

Yeah you may have a point there mate but I have done the swap myself and it's run fine and yeah it still using 25injectors just had to get wire the injectors plugs on so it worked but yeah it dose run a bit Len and that but there at part you have to change from the ej18 for it to work but run fine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users