• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 welby

welby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Car travels about 5k's to work every day and then home lol, No spirited driving in this thing ;) Coilovers would be nice but not enough money at the moment and i've used king's in most of my cars and never had a drama with them. I understand your points though octane but this is purely for the looks to be honest.

#22 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Just putting this out there...
With the exception of driving on flat tires, king superlows (or any other cheap lowering springs) are about the worst thing you can do to your car in the handling department. It'll handle much worse than stock. You induce waaaaaay too much sag. The car will roll a lot more through corners, meaning the suspension geometry moves out of its optimum range, throwing your optimum camber out the window, and it'll also mean that you have far less travel available on the outside for absorbing bumps.

I found that with king super-lows on mine, turn-in was was awesome as the car rolled so much and loaded up the outside front, then it would roll too far as I developed cornering g's and it would wash out and understeer like a mule. Then it would bottom out on every minor bump in the road surface because I'd blown through all the travel with body roll, making the car skittish and understeer even more!

Fair enough, if your getting a cheap set, they're worth trying to check the ride height, but then please toss them out and put a decent set of springs under it like H&R's or something.

Also, stiffer sway-bars are a must if your going to lower. You need to keep the car flatter through the corners if your going to reduce the suspension travel with lower springs to prevent bottoming out.

While we are on the subject of camber( front end), what are most people using for a street car ??? I have -.2 deg L & R at the moment and it feels ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users