Rewiring Seat airbags - Need some info

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Rugby league, surfing, cars, music (Rise Against)

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

So im putting in my GD wrx seats and they have airbags. The passenger seat has all the wiring in place and i put that in no problems. But then when i went to put the drivers side in i have found that the wires for the airbag have been cut. They dont have anything on the wires to tell them apart so what i want to know is do they need to be positive to negative like everything else out there and if they do how 'can' i tell them apart? Or can I just put them in with any thing wired up?

#2 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Guessing here, but I think it doesn't matter which way they're wired up.

Posted Image

#3 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Posted Image

You Thought WRONG

But on topic i'll have a look on monday in the diagram to tell you what wire is what....
Posted Image

#4 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

Cheers Jovi. I'd love to get it in the car today but I guess I'll have to wait. By the looks of it I'll have to pull the cover off the seat to see the air bag and go from there. Can I put the seat in the car and not connect the air bag up for now?

#5 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

Yes you can.
Your air bag light on the cluster will be showing while it is disconnected.
When you connect it back up the light should disappear.

#6 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Are the original seats fitted with airbags?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#7 Jovi

Jovi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

Cheers Jovi. I'd love to get it in the car today but I guess I'll have to wait. By the looks of it I'll have to pull the cover off the seat to see the air bag and go from there. Can I put the seat in the car and not connect the air bag up for now?

You sure can use the seats with out connecting them. but if your car didnt come out with air bags in the seats from factory you may or may not need to change the module for the air bag control....
Posted Image

#8 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

It come with airbags in the stock seats. The passenger side plugged in and worked no problems. This cut wire has thrown me on the drivers side though. Can't beleive Subaru would put the wires in the same. Anyway. Just another challenge

#9 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Airbag wiring should never be repaired or modded.

#10 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Yeah I figure that but it's not rewiring if your simple reconnecting something that was
cut accidentally

#11 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

is the module the same on both seats? swap them over if you can

#12 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

Haven't checked. Might be a good idea though.

#13 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

I would have thought the module is under the cloth trim, meaning you have to remove the trim to replace the module?

Posted Image

Hahaha

#14 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

Yeah it's under the leather. That's why I was hesitant with wanting to go down that path.
The seats in for now and I'll have a look at wiring up the drivers side next week

#15 Jovi

Jovi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

which car are you wiring them into? As there is a main control module as well in a gen3 liberty its just above the shifter under the ash tray... if you add side air bags it also needs to be wired to the main module as well. If not they will not work, and you need to know if the module supports side airbags as well...

If it doesnt support it and you connect it or connect it back wards you will trigger the airbag either in the seat or unlucky all depends how the system works..or you can be lucky and just have the airbag light on all the time just depends as i said how the system is set up...

My advice to you would be if you have all the factory wiring from both cars then use it, if you dont just bolt the seats in and leave it alone, or pay someone to connect it for you if you are un sure...unless you are 100% sure on what you are doing....if you get it wrong it will be a more costly repair then if you pay some one to do it....

But on monday when i get to the work shop ill look up the diagram for the GD wrx for ya to tell you which is positive which is negative triggers to the airbag it self...
Posted Image

#16 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

which car are you wiring them into? As there is a main control module as well in a gen3 liberty its just above the shifter under the ash tray... if you add side air bags it also needs to be wired to the main module as well. If not they will not work, and you need to know if the module supports side airbags as well...

If it doesnt support it and you connect it or connect it back wards you will trigger the airbag either in the seat or unlucky all depends how the system works..or you can be lucky and just have the airbag light on all the time just depends as i said how the system is set up...

My advice to you would be if you have all the factory wiring from both cars then use it, if you dont just bolt the seats in and leave it alone, or pay someone to connect it for you if you are un sure...unless you are 100% sure on what you are doing....if you get it wrong it will be a more costly repair then if you pay some one to do it....

But on monday when i get to the work shop ill look up the diagram for the GD wrx for ya to tell you which is positive which is negative triggers to the airbag it self...

Both the wrx and MY06 forester seats have airbags in the same spots. The passenger side was fine and the drivers side is to, but my dilema is that the owner of the seats before me has cut the actual airbag wiring halfway along it and I was thinking 'no worries just solder then back up, positive to positive negative to negative" but there are no lines on either wires to distinguish the 2. I have both seats in now with the passenger seat all wired up and working fine. But the drivers side is still disconected and yes i am getting the airbag light.

Heres the wire on the drivers side.

Posted Image

Both seats in with only the passenger side hooked up

Posted Image

#17 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

basically you are Posted Image'ed, you cannot repair any airbag or SRS wiring, if you do you run the risk of not deploying in an accident or deploying late due to a higher resistance than normal, if you do repair it and have an accident you may also void your insurance.
do what you will but its at your own risk.

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#18 Jovi

Jovi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

You will get the light till you plug the other seat in, and then you will need to clear the code, once its all working..
Posted Image

#19 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Have a look at the original seats.

You may find that the cut wire is a section of wiring with a plug at each end. One to plug into the body harness, the other end to plug into the back of the air bag module. If so, maybe you could use that.

+1 for not repairing the wiring.
(having said that, there is a tolerance in the resistance that the control unit 'sees')

#20 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

So I still havent fixed this, thinking about just wiring in a resistor and taping the rest of the wiring so it "looks" like it is conected. I really dont care if one air bag didnt go off. The year before my car never had them and they are still safe to drive around in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users