40 replies to this topic

#1 Octane

Octane

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

In the last 3 tanks I've tried 3 different types of premium unleaded so I thought I'd post my findings here.

All 3 tanks were driven with the same car, same boost etc, and on roughly the same sorts of roads and driving styles.
I ran the boost on 18psi to see how the engine behaved on the different fuels at higher boost, but most of my driving was pussyfooting around town.

United Premium 100 (98ron + 10% Ethanol) - 14.0L/100kms
Could tell there was a slight increase in power right through the rev range, and it was much happier at higher boost than standard 98ron pulling solidly right up to 18.5psi.

Caltex Vortex(98ron) - 13.8L/100kms
Down on power compared to the United, and felt a little sluggish across the board. I noticed my boost needle sits a little higher while maintaining a constant 80km/h speed indicating it's not making the same power as the other 2 fuels. Didn't like high boost as much as the other 2 fuels as it started to hesitate a little above 16psi.

BP Ultimate (98ron) - 11.0L/100kms
Drives much nicer than the Vortex through the rev range, and I'm also very impressed with the economy. Could probably get it below 10 on the highway. This also showed with a slightly lower boost reading at 80kmh than the Vortex. Started to hesitate around 17.5psi boost.

I've tried the Shell V-Power a while ago, and although I didn't check fuel consumption, it felt very similar to the Vortex to me.

Verdict.
I'll be religiously running BP Ultimate from now on unless I feel like a little more spirited driving and don't mind the higher consumption of the United 100.

#2 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

nice review mate.

i always use the united 100 now as it's the closest servo to home and work. didn't really notice the difference in fuel economy but then again i very rarely take notice of that anyway. i used to always use v-power and definitely think i feel the difference with the 100 octane. being that the united in dee why has it generally for the same or cheaper than the 98 at Caltex up the road i'm happy to keep running it

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#3 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

Wow can anyone confirm that fuel economy? Thats crazy figures.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#4 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hmm am I likely to notice a difference running 100 octane in my B4, given the craptacular factory tune? I don't know of any uniteds in canberra but I'll suss it out

#5 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

Good post mate. I always heard that united fuel was crap and thats why I don't use it anymore. I mainly use vortex 98 but sometimes get shell 98 or bp 98. I would get bp but the caltex is much closer.

#6 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

I put BP ultimate in my impreza 95% of the time, while it doesn't feel like a gen3 boosting 20psi, i do notice better fuel economy, i used to put it in my now ex's feroza, and it used to run slightly better (not as shit) and get a bit better fuel economy compared to other fuel brands. My mum would run out of petrol and have to walk before she'd put anything else other then BP ultimate in her FG XR6 turbo, and my almost 30 year old boat motor went slightly better, and ran smoother on BP ultimate compared to regular unleaded.

*the better fuel economy is around 20-30kms a tank

And i suppose the fact that BP is the only servo on my way to work that doesn't require me to double back on myself is a bonus too.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#7 00libertyrx

00libertyrx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,Camping,Cars,
    Mischeif and shenanigans.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

I always had a thing with bp fuel, whenever i took a trip into newi id get it and its was substantailly better with the lib, and my old sil. I usually get the vortex98 at the woolies servo cause its close and 4c off. But its not the same as the bp ultimate
" You never once paid for drugs, not once "

#8 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Interesting thread.

Ever since a couple years ago, where BP had a shortage of 98RON, and had it shipped up from VIC, I found it was truly awful. Car would sputter and fart all over the shop, and just went to Vortex as it was a more consistent fuel.

May be time to turn back to the Ultimate.

I'll be keen to try the United 100RON for the LOLS.

#9 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Got a more exact date Alex? I've been running BP since i first bought my car 2 years ago, always seemed the same to me.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#10 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

I normally fill up with V-Power. I *had* to use mobil 95 the other day cause I ran out of petrol and my car has been going like shit.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#11 Octane

Octane

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

I should add, the figures above were probably half freeway cruising and half commuting through North Sydney and along Epping Rd.

Driving around town with no freeway use whatsoever I've been getting around 12.4L/100kms on BP Ultimate, which is still a lot better than the Vortex.

I normally fill up with V-Power. I *had* to use mobil 95 the other day cause I ran out of petrol and my car has been going like shit.

Yeah I've used Mobil once and it ran like a dog. Coughed and sputtered under acceleration, wouldn't idle properly etc. Almost felt like it had water in it. Never again!

#12 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Only ever used BP in my WRX. I'm now throwing E10 in the outback and it loves it.

I just use a servo that is regularly busy, Seems to be the go.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#13 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

I remember reading somewhere that BP ultimate is the only fuel guaranteed to be 98 at a minimum.
All others have a disclaimer that they make best effort to ensure their fuels are what they advertise but "environmental factors" May cause slight variations...

I religiously put BP into all my cars now.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#14 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

I run BP Ultimate, and not only because its convenient. There is seriously a shitload of BP's around here, even independents close up and a BP opens in its place. My dad religously uses Shell's 98 option and always has, but I have noticed him using the BP more often since I got my car. I run BP Ultimate because its what the previous owner ran, so it runs just as good as the day I bought it home (better if you ask me).

My mate tried that Liberty 98 Ethanol blend, whatever it is (prob same as that United 100), by accident. He got worse economy than running 95 in his WRX lol, it burnt it up. Seemed to run ok though.

#15 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

Anything with an ethanol content will use more fuel. It doesnt have the same amount of 'bang' as petrol. What it does do however is up the actual anti-knock characteristic. So you can run more boost/timing. Guys who have adjusted their cars and are running E85 will be able to get substantial increases in power with nothing more than changing the fuel. This is because the tuning can be pulled up another notch. But, on average, they use 20 to 30% more fuel to get that added power. Its all a trade-off.

Edit - might be worth noting you can't just go and put E85 in a car not designed to run it. The materials used in a petroleum based fuel system are different to those used in an ethanol based system. Not only that, those running standard fuel pumps will need to change them to a higher flow pump - for the same reasons the economy is crap.
I don't know how E10 affects the fuel system though.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#16 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

I don't know how E10 affects the fuel system though.

It's corrosive to metals that have zinc plating.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#17 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

ive wondered about the United 100 octane stuff, and how it was different to normal 98. so is it safe to run the 100 octane because of the ethanol? or should i just stick to the 98 ultimate?

basically just want to make sure im not going to be damaging any components of the car with the ethanol

#18 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

Awesome write up mate.

I generally use V-Power in the R34, and that seems to respond better then the Vortex. I've not yet run Ultimate in it, as there isn't really any of them near me. The only other 98 I use is whatever the stuff they sell at 7 Eleven is. Can't say I can reccomend it over the V-Power though.

Will give the United in Dee Why a crack with some 100, and see how the old RB25 likes it.

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#19 bd-850

bd-850

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

i run BP 98 only coz its the only 98 around here, i dont feel like driving 100ks to the next town to fill up with Shell or what ever, but ever since my first car ive ran BP, tried other fuels and always felt like the car was slower or got worse fuel economy

#20 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

I usually fill up with V-Power because I get the Flybuys points :P

However, the closest servo to my place is a BP so I might give that a go...

IM47Gcv.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users