55 replies to this topic

#1 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

So, I like bowling. I'm just about to start the new season (2nd year back after a 6 year break). I'm a tad excited. Been doing it on and off for 20+ years now.

Discuss.

Stuff goes here

#2 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I haven't bowled for a few years, I should get back into it, it's actually fun!

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#3 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Im told we should compare balls (tee hee)

I've got
  • Ebonite: Playmaker
  • Columbia 300: Extreme Chaos - Limited edition
  • Storm: Too Hot
  • Storm: PDW (Retired)
  • Track: Stomp (Black and Gold) (Retired)
  • Columbia 300: "Celebrity" (its old, very old.. seems to be the precursor to the whitedot)
If anyone has a brand new (or knows of one) Columbia Aftershock perl with a decent pin placement or a track contender, please let me know

I haven't bowled for a few years, I should get back into it, it's actually fun!

Eh, its ok :D

Stuff goes here

#4 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Posted Image

#5 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

So, I like bowling. I'm just about to start the new season (2nd year back after a 6 year break). I'm a tad excited. Been doing it on and off for 20+ years now.

Discuss.

ive been bowling since i was 12 now, so going on 10 years. bowled at national level 5 times so far as well as countless nationally ranked tournaments, and bowled 4 perfect games so far.

just started moving into coaching now more than competing for a bit of a break, assistant coach for the NSW junior team for this year. so far one of the best decisions ive made.

Im told we should compare balls (tee hee)

currently using all Brunswick (i normally only take 4-6 of these to league or training each week, take whichever ones i feel like using)
  • Fury
  • Twisted Fury
  • Sidewinder
  • lethal revolver
  • C System 2.5
  • C System Alpha Max
  • C System Ulti Max
  • Damage
  • Massive Damage
  • Slingshot
  • Avalanche
  • Target Zone

#6 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

• Fury
  • Twisted Fury
  • Sidewinder
  • lethal revolver
  • C System 2.5
  • C System Alpha Max
  • C System Ulti Max
  • Damage
  • Massive Damage
  • Slingshot
  • Avalanche
  • Target Zone

I feel there is a sex positions joke in here somewhere...

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#7 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

On the topic of bowling discussion;

Please explain the difference between all of these balls, especially seeing as there are so many from the one brand.

currently using all Brunswick (i normally only take 4-6 of these to league or training each week, take whichever ones i feel like using)

• Fury
  • Twisted Fury
  • Sidewinder
  • lethal revolver
  • C System 2.5
  • C System Alpha Max
  • C System Ulti Max
  • Damage
  • Massive Damage
  • Slingshot
  • Avalanche
  • Target Zone

To a person like myself, who only plays for fun very occasionally, it seems as if bowling balls only have weight differences; so what else is there to the technology in them? :)

#8 Brett

Brett

Freshly Squeezed Beer Juice.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,547 posts
  • Interests:Neatly organised sock drawers, Giving Zero Phux.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

What does a bowling ball cost. Also does Fred flintstone still bowl?

Sig worthy.

#9 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

so you have a few things happening here with "performance" balls. These are the most simple terms I can use to describe it all
  • Coverstocks
  • Perl or
  • Matte/Sanded finishes

Both types come in (these days) Plastic, Urethane, Reactive Resin or Particle. Each will help determine how the ball will work on given amount of oil and other factors. Perl tends to go further down the lane and the hook will be more aggressive. A matte finish will hook sooner and not hook as much but wont tend to "skid" on the oil too far

• Weight
    • 14-16 is normal for most adults, 15 being most common. The pins weigh a few pounds each, so the ball needs to impart enough force to knock them all past ... 11% iirc. The ball only strikes 4 pins on a "perfect" strike. With hook bowling, you're imparting spin onto the ball (energy) so the weight isn't as much of a factor as it once was. I use 15 for strike ball and if i need it, 14 for spares (I can bowl quite straight with my strike ball if needed)
  • Characteristics
    • Each model of ball will have certain characteristics as to how it reacts to varied conditions such as volume or length of oil. While you can adjust your line, speed and hand position, to get the optimal shot, you need to match the ball to the lane. There are a heap of terms describing all of this, most of which I have long forgotten.
    • I forgot to mention the weight block.. Mark does below.. it would go here or on its own
Other more human things come into it such as brand loyalty and whatever you're being sold. I tend to prefer Columbia and Track and never felt great when using others such as Hammer, Brunswick or even storm. Although I have some storm gear, it was the best match with what I wanted at the time - not so much now

Stuff goes here

#10 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

What does a bowling ball cost. Also does Fred flintstone still bowl?

Depending on where/how you get it and what tech its made with - up to $450 each. As I was only bowling 3 leagues when I finished, I would tend to rotate them out once a year or when I felt they were not working as well (hard to describe. inconsistent results, drop in average.. stuff like that) when I was bowling 3 leagues and the odd tourny ~ 6 months for a swap out. Performance balls tend to have a softer surface and wear more

I would have ~6 balls at any one time. 2 "main" with vastly differing characteristics, a spare ball and one or two that did something else (normally old equipment)

Fred still bowls in my heart.. good ol' twinkle toes... you troll

Stuff goes here

#11 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

On the topic of bowling discussion;

Please explain the difference between all of these balls, especially seeing as there are so many from the one brand.

To a person like myself, who only plays for fun very occasionally, it seems as if bowling balls only have weight differences; so what else is there to the technology in them? :)

Richo pretty much summed it up. the covers of the balls vary, both what they are made out of and also the surface finish can be dull or shiny. basically has a massive difference on what the ball does. for example a dull ball tends to start hooking earlier and have a smoother 'arc' motion, whereas a shiny pearl covered ball will go longer and have a stronger shape or break point and hook more opposed to this.

Weight blocks inside the ball also vary what a ball will do. add into this the way you drill the ball (placement of the thumb and finger holes) in comparison to the weight blocks and again it affects what the ball does. i will post up some pics tonight to show the difference.

Add to this the oil pattern that is laid on the lanes (oil is put on the lanes to protect them). the way this is put on can completely alter what a ball does, more oil means ball hooks less.

an example, if you were to go to your local centre and bowl right now, chances are the pattern would be around 30-38ft long from the foul line, and go from the 10th board on the left to the 10th board on the right (or 2nd arrow either side), sometimes have a taper inwards towards the end. basically a pretty easy pattern to bowl on, alot of room for error and easy to play.

go to a ranked tournament and you look at something completely different. for example, a pattern that may be 45-48ft long, covers more width of the lane going further down, and also has more oil volume (the amount of oil actually on the lane). or at the other end of the spectrum something that may be 28ft long, and still same amount of volume. both these patterns mean way less room for error, and are alot harder to play, and also require you to make sure you are using the right equipment to maximise your scoring capabilities.

i use all brunswick gear because i get really good pricing off them, and also ive found i like their gear more than anyone elses and it suits my game best

#12 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

i do the same as richard, i normally take approx 6 balls with me to league, first 2 are higher end, complete opposites so to speak. and then fill it in with 2-3 mid range balls with basic or all round drillings that can work on anything and have a bit of difference between those 3, and then finally a spare ball (normally these are plastic, designed not to hook at all so you aim straight at your spares)

some nights in league i will bowl an entire 3 games without making a single ball change, others ill make 5-6 ball changes in the one night

#13 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

i do the same as richard, i normally take approx 6 balls with me to league, first 2 are higher end, complete opposites so to speak. and then fill it in with 2-3 mid range balls with basic or all round drillings that can work on anything and have a bit of difference between those 3, and then finally a spare ball (normally these are plastic, designed not to hook at all so you aim straight at your spares)

some nights in league i will bowl an entire 3 games without making a single ball change, others ill make 5-6 ball changes in the one night

Who the shit is Richard

5-6 in a night!! wow, thats a lot.

Stuff goes here

#14 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Who the shit is Richard

5-6 in a night!! wow, thats a lot.

meant richo haha

some weeks our centre is really good and you can make barely any changes

other weeks the pattern changes constantly and you find yourself making massive changes constantly to try and stay in the game

#15 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

balls

balls balls

balls

balls

balls

balls balls

Hi!

Posted Image

#16 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

i see what you did there

:sarcastic:

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#17 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

I should have bowled more during the off. My thumb is quite red :/

Turned up, oil machine was busted so they were using some old junker. Pattern was Posted Image'ed early on. No go zone past 10-12 board until late in the 3rd game.

144 (Just could not get left enough and not hit the patchy feeling oil with the chaos) splits galore, 189 and 191.

Last game would have been ~210 if I didn't get two solid freaking 9 pins. I'm a stroker/tween, I don't make enough angle to do that @$%@ oh, and the bridge is cracked on the playmaker. balls

Stuff goes here

#18 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I felt like this

Stuff goes here

#19 Brett

Brett

Freshly Squeezed Beer Juice.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,547 posts
  • Interests:Neatly organised sock drawers, Giving Zero Phux.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

What the Posted Image did you just write Richo?

Sig worthy.

#20 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

• I hurt because I've not bowled in 6 weeks
  • The oil was less than optimal and I found it difficult at first to find a ball/line combo which worked
  • 144,189,191 were my scores for the night
  • In the last game I got some shitty pin falls which cost me a good game (I won all my points though)
  • My style is known as a "tweener". http://en.wikipedia....Delivery_styles - Because of the path the ball takes, the entry angle to the 1-3 pin pocket isn't large, I should not have left a 9 pin standing.
  • The bridge is the gap between the finger holes

See the line between the finger holes.. that *not my ball

Posted Image

edit: what the hell just happened with the formatting

Stuff goes here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users