AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Fish and IT!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hi mate & welcome to the club.

Nice work so far. Your thread title got me all excited and then let down. When are you doing the conversion?
I have a 99 Heritage with the B4 treatment. If you have any questions in regards to the process I'm happy to respond and share some time saving tips if you are planning on doing it at home yourself. I'm quite familiar with most aspects.
It's a big mission but not too complicated.

Haha hook line and sinker lol and in 4 months it will be put in and I shall be looking through your build thread right now! And thanks I shall keep you in mind :D Thankyou

#22 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

oh hai chris! decided to join the subyclub fun eh? now you have the same dash as me! except mine has black plasti dip on it

#23 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Welcome to Subyclub!

Those Enkei's look sweet and love the story about the plates :)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#24 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

oh hai chris! decided to join the subyclub fun eh? now you have the same dash as me! except mine has black plasti dip on it

Oh hai Jack how is my main man going ;) And yes I have! And haha we do don't we :) Have you got any closer deciding what wheels you want?

Welcome to Subyclub!

Those Enkei's look sweet and love the story about the plates :)

Thanks Morgan she was an awesome person

#25 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Oh hai Jack how is my main man going ;) And yes I have! And haha we do don't we :) Have you got any closer deciding what wheels you want?

nah. I've decided ill make the choice after i do the B4 conversion. maybe if i can get some cheap B4 wheels, that will do it so it doesn't look like a B4 with RX wheels.
you getting your RPF1 thats damaged fixed?

#26 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Clean man, clean.

All I'd do is drop the front STI badge and you're in business.

Nick

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#27 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

in 4 months it will be put in

Unless you are a hands on type of guy with a mad desire to learn I would recommend a single Turbo conversion over the Twins.
Problematic set up the TT's really. When they are set up & running good they are awesome but when they wanna play funny buggers (Which is quite often) they give you the Posted Image ing shits. Seems like there is an issue 70% of the time.

The main things you have to consider about a B4's are:

They're ageing engines
Prior use & chance of neglect increases with age
The TT set up and components rely on a fairly complex vac & soleniod system which is prone to deterioration
Limited horepowas

IMHO a single would have been the better choice for me really and I'm heading in that direction now anyhoo

Why you no rear curved spats only fronts? You need?

+1

#28 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

nah. I've decided ill make the choice after i do the B4 conversion. maybe if i can get some cheap B4 wheels, that will do it so it doesn't look like a B4 with RX wheels.
you getting your RPF1 thats damaged fixed?

Good idea Jack cause that will cost more than enough and I still havent yet, just not enough time to get it done :(

Clean man, clean.

Nick

I was thinking about that but still want to keep it so people will ask about it once I get the new engine in if that makes sense! :P

Unless you are a hands on type of guy with a mad desire to learn I would recommend a single Turbo conversion over the Twins.
Problematic set up the TT's really. When they are set up & running good they are awesome but when they wanna play funny buggers (Which is quite often) they give you the Posted Image ing shits. Seems like there is an issue 70% of the time.

The main things you have to consider about a B4's are:

They're ageing engines
Prior use & chance of neglect increases with age
The TT set up and components rely on a fairly complex vac & soleniod system which is prone to deterioration
Limited horepowas

IMHO a single would have been the better choice for me really and I'm heading in that direction now anyhoo

Why you no rear curved spats only fronts? You need?

Thanks for the info mate and it would seem that this engine is the easiest swap but if what your saying about the TT then how much would it cost for a change to a single turbo?
And I have a limit of $5k for the swap, how much did u spend if you dont mind me asking? Thanks

#29 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

Basically in a nutshell it will cost you about another grand for the single turbo setup (depending on the initial purchase price of the cut/engine package) because of different dump pipes and crossmembers etc, but will repay itself ten-fold once you incorporate the maintenance side. Gen 3 TT motors are renowned for doing big end bearings, which means full rebuild time. Not cheap. Mine went through 3 motors before I got sick of it and dropped an STi motor in. No problems since.

Not only that, but you will not get away with 5k even with a B4 engine swap, unless you do ALL the work yourself, including splicing looms etc. Even then its a bit iffy. Budget minimum 6. And with a B4 swap, you need to incorporate tuning costs, because you will do a big end if you dont.

Some food for thought. Cost me 8900 to do my conversion from B4 to 2004 STi spec C motor. Included new alarm and new clutch, loom work, new 3" dump, everything. Drive in, drive out.
Power is doubled in the low range (talking 90kw at 2900 revs), and I am not below 170kw from 4500 revs now. I topped out at 155 (@ 6700 revs) after a tune with the twins. Power is smoother, and is a hell of a lot nicer to drive, and just to top it off, I get better fuel economy, and a motor that has done about 80 thousand k.

Basically, its chalk and cheese. Do it once, and do it properly.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#30 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Good idea Jack cause that will cost more than enough and I still havent yet, just not enough time to get it done :(

I was thinking about that but still want to keep it so people will ask about it once I get the new engine in if that makes sense! :P

Thanks for the info mate and it would seem that this engine is the easiest swap but if what your saying about the TT then how much would it cost for a change to a single turbo?
And I have a limit of $5k for the swap, how much did u spend if you dont mind me asking? Thanks

I bought a complete wreck so I had all the parts needed. About $6k then you stop counting.
If you just get a front cut B4 then you will need to chase things like fuel pump & regulator & many more things.
I recommend sourcing a rear end write off B4.

#31 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

This is all pure gold information. Definately making me think twice about my conversion.

#32 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Thanks both for all the info and it seems like I either have to get a complete B4 or Wrx and also re think my budget :(

#33 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Thanks man and I would really like to see your car with STI styling and post up some links whenever you like so I can have a look see :)

I haven't got anything STI yet as I've only had my wagon since early December last year, but I'll be sure to update my build thread whenever I do. Click here to check it out. ;)

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#34 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

This is all pure gold information. Definately making me think twice about my conversion.

It sure is but bad new at the same time so Im doing some rough planing and pricing atm!

I haven't got anything STI yet as I've only had my wagon since early December last year, but I'll be sure to update my build thread whenever I do. Click here to check it out. ;)

Looks awesome mate and I would definitively get some nice Enkei's for her ;)

#35 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Definitely! I'm keeping an eye out for 'em on SubyClub but no one seems to be selling any. Might have to broaden the search of course. I just haven't been serious about finding them but if they were to pop up here I'd definitely be interested.

I have other things that I wanna get out of the way before investing in some rims.

Thanks for the kind comment. :D

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#36 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Definitely! I'm keeping an eye out for 'em on SubyClub but no one seems to be selling any. Might have to broaden the search of course. I just haven't been serious about finding them but if they were to pop up here I'd definitely be interested.

I have other things that I wanna get out of the way before investing in some rims.

Thanks for the kind comment. :D

All good mate and I shall be keeping a close eye on your build! :)

It looks like I might be buying a before and selling my car and getting a B4, does anyone know of any cheap ones for sale?

#37 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi,

WALTS is selling his, he's in Adelaide, car is very neat. I'll try and find his thread, pretty sure it's still for sale.

Cheers,
Nik

#38 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

Should buy a bug eye instead :P Would look awesome with those wheels.

#39 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

All good mate and I shall be keeping a close eye on your build! :)

Thanks man. :D

Nothing much that I can call new yet, but I will definitely update the topic as I go.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#40 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

WALTS is selling his, he's in Adelaide, car is very neat. I'll try and find his thread, pretty sure it's still for sale.

Cheers,
Nik

Thanks Nik that would be great!

Should buy a bug eye instead :P Would look awesome with those wheels.

Haha I know but this way I can transfer all my current mods onto a B4, I wont be as cool as you in your bugeye but I shall try ;)

Thanks man. :D

Nothing much that I can call new yet, but I will definitely update the topic as I go.

Sounds good to me mate :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gen 3, B4, heritage, liberty, enkei, dba, sti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users