• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hi guys.. the clutch dropped to the floor and my friction point was almost on the floor. I managed to drive and after half a dozen or so red lights, it sprang up back to normal. Clutch is working fine again and friction point is normal. Clutch is not slipping
Any idea?
The clutch fluid is still full.

#2 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Check your clutch slave cylinder, hoses & master cylinder for leaks. You have to take off the intercooler to get access to the slave. If no leaks found, bleed clutch while the top mount is off.

If the above does nothing to fix the issue it could be time for a new master cylinder. When the slave goes they usually leak fluid.

#3 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

Thanks. No idea how to remove things to bleed the clutch. I can ask my mechanic, but the clutch pedal seems normal again.

I was actually pushing the car to redline, shifted and a few moments later noticed the dropped clutch as I was slowing down .

I thought i was gonna get stranded. Lol

#4 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Bizarre... I've just had exactly the same thing happen yesterday. I might bleed the clutch and see if it happens again. Otherwise I will try one of my spare slave cylinders and let you know how I go.

Only problem is mine is back to normal this morning too...

#5 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Yeah this happened to me for ages. No mechanic could find the problem.
It happens when the car gets warm. Very annoying, it effects the hill assist too.
Mine actually fixed itself one day.
I put the clutch in and like normal it stuck in, but when it popped back out this time it did it with such force that it stalled the car. Havnt had a problem since.

#6 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Could be a clutch pedal spring. Get that checked by a mechanic. They are the biggest c*nts of a thing.

Not sure if the Liberty's have them, but when I was working for Jaguar, I was fixing a car with similar symptoms and that's what it was.

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#7 My02xs

My02xs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Same thing happened to me near home on Tuesday night, unfortunately mine hasnt returned to normal so i think the master cylinder is shot as the slave still holds fluid and pressure.

#8 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

It'll be the slave (and replace the hose while your going) if it only happens when hot.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#9 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

You could learn to drive without the clutch so if this happens again you can still drive. Just learn the rev matching to speed in order to slip out of gear and into the next gear. Then you'll only need to use the clutch to get into 1st. I'm not sure how to get into first without the clutch! haha!

#10 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

You could learn to drive without the clutch so if this happens again you can still drive. Just learn the rev matching to speed in order to slip out of gear and into the next gear. Then you'll only need to use the clutch to get into 1st. I'm not sure how to get into first without the clutch! haha!

Turn the car off, engage first and then restart car with the throttle held open. Car will bunny hop and hopefully run.
Seen this done to get a car home that had a failed clutch.

#11 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Juat keep pushing and you'll eventually get it into gear :P

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#12 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Begin pushing it into first while gently applying revs. We do that with our maintenance trucks onsite after they've copped years of abuse.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#13 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Maybe the clutch system needs some fresh fluid? The car drove fine today.

The thing is my car idled for quite a bit yesterday in traffic.... I've read changing from dot3 fluid to something higher might help.

Anyways. I'll keep an eye out for leaks.

How much would a mech charge to flush all the old fluid out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users