• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Richiesub

Richiesub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

My 08 impreza has a whine. You can hear it slightly all the time although at around 70kmh (Only i can hear it at low speeds) and up it gets louder and you can feel a vibration through the floor variable with speed on/off on/off both sound and vibration. hard to describe.

Driving on the freeway sends me crazy. I took the car to Subaru and they are saying that its from the front transfer area and they didnt get enough time to diagnose it...

Could it be simple as a transfer oil change?

Is the oil in the gearbox used for the transfer also?

Its not a wheel bearing as i had front left changed (to fix it) and the sound is still evident in neutral. 5spd manual.

would love others input

#2 RXJezza

RXJezza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hi,

My car does this as well minus the vibration.

I've been told it's the viscous coupling.

I just changed the gearbox and diff oils and it got quieter but its still there.

#3 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

viscous coupling.

= Centre diff.
Which is sealed, so changing the oil has no effect.

To the OP, change the oil and see what happens.
You might need a T70 torx bit to drop the oil thou.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#4 Richiesub

Richiesub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

yeah the vibration is very minor but its there. I am wrecking another impreza at the moment so it might be a good idea to swap the centre diff and see and then try changing the oil, the car only has 57000kms on it

#5 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Change the oil first before swapping diffs

#6 RXJezza

RXJezza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ah ok, well I changed my exhaust at the same time so maybe I just thought it was quieter.

#7 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

My 08 impreza has a whine. You can hear it slightly all the time although at around 70kmh (Only i can hear it at low speeds) and up it gets louder and you can feel a vibration through the floor variable with speed on/off on/off both sound and vibration. hard to describe.

Driving on the freeway sends me crazy. I took the car to Subaru and they are saying that its from the front transfer area and they didnt get enough time to diagnose it...

Could it be simple as a transfer oil change?

Is the oil in the gearbox used for the transfer also?

Its not a wheel bearing as i had front left changed (to fix it) and the sound is still evident in neutral. 5spd manual.

would love others input

Ah ok, well I changed my exhaust at the same time so maybe I just thought it was quieter.

I would be careful driving around with a knackered center diff. I had the same thing happen in my Gen 3. Try not to drive it to hard, because if it spills the silicone like juices from the the viscous into the gearbox, it munches the syncros and becomes a much more expensive job to fix. It cost me $1100 to replace with a reco WRX centre diff.

I tried changing oils and giving it a flush, had no effect. As BobbyJimmy said, it's a sealed unit, so changing oil is unlikely to fix it.

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#8 Richiesub

Richiesub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Damn checked the oil in it and it looks perfect and clean, looks like ill be swapping over the centre diff. Anyone done this before can give any advise. Shouldnt have to take the whole box out right?

#9 Mulgzy

Mulgzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Thaaa beach, hot summers.
    Cruising around, windows down on a warm temperature night, with some good tunes playing, perfect!
    Also love a good session of xbox live ;)

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

I have that same noise in the wrx that I just bought. Thankfully I work next to Subaru service centre. They think it's a chipped tooth in the transfer case... And they told me I just need to take the gearbox out, then the transfer case bolts off from the back of it. Apparently it's easy to take apart and change the gears in there. Think u can get gear repair sets from Subaru.

Once I finish the engine work on mine I'll be dropping the gearbox out and trying it. If you think you're able to take the gearbox out yourself then I wouldn't bother buying any reco parts because it'll cost a lot more than taking it apart yourself.

mulgz-car.jpg

#10 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

If its a 5 speed WRX, every one I've heard has that whiny sound. Even the N/A 5 Speeds do it. Almost sounds like straight cut first gear in my car. Try changing to full synthetic oil with a Nulon G27 additive. Made mine a fair bit quieter.

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users