#1 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hello!
so i have been looking to upgrade my Double Din head unit BUT i don't want to pay chumps price for it. anyone have any information as to where to get new head unit that has all the kit and caboodle for a bargain?
I'm currently running all Pioneer and would prefer to keep it like that. but not fussed.
Tuner, DVD, TV tuner, blu tooth, (wifi - if there is such thing), reverse camera options etc
Thanks,
Jack

#2 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Ok, so you want all pioneer gear but don't want to pay a premium for it?

Good luck.

If you want a cheap Pioneer double din, your best bet would be second hand gear off eBay.

#3 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

yeah well i know there are people who know things most don't or have hookups most don't. most if not all the head decks that have all the new features are nameless or unheard of brands.
it seems all the big companies aren't on the A-ball
gotta try...

#4 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

There are a huge amount of double din "no name" touch screens on the market for cheap. Log onto eBay and take your pick.
I bought one for my Passat... It looks factory, has GPS (which is good), DVD, iPod, SD, USB, internal HDD, numerous video in and out, etc... It's ok. Worth the $400 odd I paid for it.

Compare that to the Pioneer double din I have in the Liberty and the Pioneer wins hands down.

Them software on the cheap units is what lets them down. Full of bugs and shitty user interface.

You really do.get what you pay for.

#5 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

oh ok, yeah wasn't too keen on buying eBay specials.
was more hoping for a 'seconds world' or a 'factory outlet' type thing but for car electronics (dreaming). working in a factory outlet myself makes me aware of what bargains you can get. also staff discounts are nice too.
cheers for the info

#6 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

Fair enough. Although factory seconds in the electronics world doesn't really exist. They either work and are put together consistently or thrown away due to the potential of failure or damage to other components.

My only suggestion would be to approach retailers and make an offer on their demo or floor stock.

#7 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

I wouldn't recommend the ebay spec brands. I hated my Eonon and it only lasted 2 weeks before it broke.

I have a Pioneer AVH unit in the Subaru and will be getting one soon for the Calais. Absolutely love them. Mine don't have TV tuners or GPS but I have external GPS units and would never watch TV in the car so it doesn't bother me.

The iPod interface is awesome and it has bluetooth which wins me over.

There's a few to choose from. I have the AVH-P3350BT in the XT and it has the 5.7" screen but I think I'll get the AVH-X4500BT for the Calais which has a 7" screen.

Just remember, if the unit ends in 'BT', it has bluetooth and if it ends in 'DVD', it doesn't.

To buy, check ebay

http://www.ebay.com....nkw=pioneer avh

IM47Gcv.jpg

#8 Sam.

Sam.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Check out either:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/
or
http://www.crutchfield.com/

Sonic do ship direct to Australia but Crutchfield tend to have cheaper prices. The only downside with Crutchfield is that they dont ship direct to Australia so you need to use a mail forwarding service such as shipito to get it here. Shipito charge $8.50 per package plus whatever the cost of postage is to Australia, Crutchfield orders are posted free to Continental US Addresses also. I've dealt with both in the past and have had positive experiences with both. Crutchfield seem to be a little more professional and send through wiring diagrams and installation instructions vehicle specific which is pretty handy if you haven't done it before. Both will also provide a wiring harness adaptor so essentially the head unit will be plug and play.

#9 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Awesome! I'll check those sites out tonight.
And thanks Morgan, at the moment I have a Pioneer AVH-P3250BT. It's pretty good, I just wanted to have GPS inbuilt and a bigger screen. Not sure if my options are healthy. My other option Is a tablet install which would be ok.

#10 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Ryda here in Sydney tend to have the greatest selection and lowest prices of the big retail stores. But do check online on eBay because you can buy it from somewhere in Asia and get it cheaper delivered to your door than buying it at the shops.

As for what brands to check out -- I was in the same situation as you as I wanted the Pioneer bells and whistles but did not wish to pay the price. I bought a Kenwood and apart from a slow interface, its a good way of saving some $$$ over the Pioneer units. Fully loaded.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#11 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

This is what I have..
Never ever use the DVD function.
It does what its suppose to.. (I just wanted a double din to replace the factory double)
Bluetooth (audio and phone) etc etc.

http://www.jbhifi.co...iver-sku-91500/

I think your gonna pay a lot more just to add in the SAT NAV..
You'd be better off buying the cheaper head unit and separate SAT NAV

Posted Image

#12 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Ryda here in Sydney tend to have the greatest selection and lowest prices of the big retail stores. But do check online on eBay because you can buy it from somewhere in Asia and get it cheaper delivered to your door than buying it at the shops.

As for what brands to check out -- I was in the same situation as you as I wanted the Pioneer bells and whistles but did not wish to pay the price. I bought a Kenwood and apart from a slow interface, its a good way of saving some $$$ over the Pioneer units. Fully loaded.

+1 for Ryda. I used to have a mate that worked there and he gave me a few discounts on bits and pieces (already had my system). I think he might still work there actually...

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#13 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

thats now the 3rd recommendation to Ryda, i think i may have to check these guys out.
my current unit is pretty great but was essentially wanting inbuilt GPS and hopefully the tv tuner.
Shiv you have the TV tuner don't you?
this is my current unit.
Posted Image
perhaps i should think a bit differently and actually hook up a TV tuner and have a separate GPS unit?
reasons for TV: i get to work early and like to sit in my car before i start - TV would be indulgent
resons for inbuilt GPS is i already have too many wires around my dash - would need to get one of those 4 plug ciggy lighter ugly things.

im sensing ill need to get creative with my current head unit...

#14 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

I also recommend Ryda. Bought my head unit there for my liberty.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#15 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Where are you located jack_keaka? They're located in Petersham and any time I need electronics and things for a sound system, I always check there first. Good place, prices and set up. You're likely to find exactly what you need there. Decks, subs, amps, 6x9's, wiring, etc, in a number of brands.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#16 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

yeah I'm in Sydney. ill definitely have to go there now. as I'm also looking to get a under seat sub and 6x9's for the parcel tray.
well! looks like ill be heading there next month to check it out.
thanks for all the advice guys

#17 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

No worries man. I'm sure you know where it is anyway; Parramatta Road in Petersham, near the Rick Damelian car yards.

I've got Soundstream Tarantula 6x9's if you're interested? I might be willing to sell them.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#18 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

No worries man. I'm sure you know where it is anyway; Parramatta Road in Petersham, near the Rick Damelian car yards.

I've got Soundstream Tarantula 6x9's if you're interested? I might be willing to sell them.

could definitely be interested. PM me some details mate

#19 12.SLOW

12.SLOW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

car audie exelence in penrith friends with owner owners name is phil or pimp your ride car audio extreme i think name is in blacktown owners name is jay friends with him aswell they do decent prices

If You Dont Love Your Car Love Your Mum 

Slower Then The Rest 

50.CYA

YAMAHA R3 2015

#20 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

Private message sent mate.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users