#61 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:35 PM

Not sure on extra boost but makes it safer. Would need a 25D intake manifold I'd think. Pretty sure sohc manifolds are different to dohc

tIeW8DE.png

#62 V3nomous

V3nomous

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:09 AM

I thought the frankenmotor idea was the mod you do when you cant boost cos increases the compression from the stock 9.5-9.7:1 range to like 12:1 making it less viable for more boost?

Plus you need the special hg?

I could be wrong though..

EDIT: and I am wrong ej25 block/22 heads raises it to that.... 22 block/25 heads lowers it to 9.1:1...

#63 Meadyy8

Meadyy8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

I thought the frankenmotor idea was the mod you do when you cant boost cos increases the compression from the stock 9.5-9.7:1 range to like 12:1 making it less viable for more boost?

Plus you need the special hg?

I could be wrong though..

EDIT: and I am wrong ej25 block/22 heads raises it to that.... 22 block/25 heads lowers it to 9.1:1...

Yea man 25block 22 heads increase.
22block with 25d heads bring it down to around 8.7 with a thicker hg. Gotta be a specific hg to match the galleys etc.

Idk how these guys are running heaps of boost on standard ej22. Mines leaning out a little at WOT on irregular occasions. Other times runs at around 11.5 - 12 like a champ, and im only running 5psi.

#64 V3nomous

V3nomous

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, IKR, but I guess when you have access to parts and dont care if blows then you can dial up as much boost as you want.

So you still running the stock hg?

Mines started to develop hg issues and is off the road and not worth scrap so I'm looking at replacing that and doing this turbo upgrade too...

#65 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:46 PM

Yea man 25block 22 heads increase.
22block with 25d heads bring it down to around 8.7 with a thicker hg. Gotta be a specific hg to match the galleys etc.

Idk how these guys are running heaps of boost on standard ej22. Mines leaning out a little at WOT on irregular occasions. Other times runs at around 11.5 - 12 like a champ, and im only running 5psi.

Got a upgraded fuel pump? They are probably using an adjustable fpr too

tIeW8DE.png

#66 sub813

sub813

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

might want to look into this http://www.ebay.com....kcAAOxymiVQ9uhP

#67 Matty_Lib

Matty_Lib

rslyf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:03 AM

Sick!

#68 Meadyy8

Meadyy8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, IKR, but I guess when you have access to parts and dont care if blows then you can dial up as much boost as you want.

So you still running the stock hg?

Mines started to develop hg issues and is off the road and not worth scrap so I'm looking at replacing that and doing this turbo upgrade too...

Yeah mate stk hg.
Only issue im having is getting some blow by from the rocker covers. Which isnt really an issue atm. But could be the beginning.

#69 Meadyy8

Meadyy8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

Got a upgraded fuel pump? They are probably using an adjustable fpr too

Yeah mate currently running a dw200.
Yeah ive spoken to a few guys in the states who just run the maf and standard pump. But idk if they use a afr gauge or anything. Yeah an fmu or rrfpr are the next option.

#70 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:40 PM

How's this going?

Keen to know how the 22 is holding up with the boost and pinging as a mate of mine ran an SC14 on his EJ22 and he seemed to only have issues with detonation on hot days with 7psi.  

He ended up running a WAIC setup and ultimately rebuilt the engine after hydrolocking the engine.

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#71 Meadyy8

Meadyy8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:31 PM

Goes like a bat out of hell for low boost. Bumped it up to 7-8psi. Under heavy load. Full boost at 2k..only really had a couple of rolling runs with a mate. His got a gf8 with exhaust and vf23. From a roll toward the end of 2nd he will pull away. A couple of car lengths up to about 1.50. But both starting in 4th gear at the same speed. Its dead even from about 75 to above 140. No issues so far. So much driveability.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

#72 Meadyy8

Meadyy8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

And we have a leaky head gasket :(

Picked up some skimmed and serviced heads locally with some new valves etc. With head bolts and a full gasket kit for $200! Guy dropped it off to get the work done ages ago, and never came back to pick it up!

Cheap as chips.
Now to change them over and enjoy the booost

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#73 Matty_Lib

Matty_Lib

rslyf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:53 PM

Wooo!

#74 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:12 PM

That's a top score!!

Question: did your gen2 have the crossmember with the "dent" for the up pipe already or did you swap it out for one? I'm curious.

Have fun putting it all together - another good time to replace seals etc if your doing this with the engine out ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#75 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

RX and outback have the up pipe cutout, anything with the 25D. GX not so lucky

tIeW8DE.png

#76 Meadyy8

Meadyy8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

That's a top score!!

Question: did your gen2 have the crossmember with the "dent" for the up pipe already or did you swap it out for one? I'm curious.

Have fun putting it all together - another good time to replace seals etc if your doing this with the engine out ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah as nick said below, gx has no cut out. So in goes the rx cross member and front swaybar.

Orignally i notched the cross member till i could source a suitable replacement. I dont advise it, its not that it wasnt strong, it just is always in the back of your mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users