• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

Can't tell from the pics but is that background one of the old styrofoam ones?

Also I would go cardinals over neons for your other tank. They are quite a bit dearer but are a much more hardier fish and will grow to a larger size with a bit more colour. Cardinals have the same blue and red stripes.

#22 seanmau5

seanmau5

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

This is what I built for my major works when I did my HSC. I was looking at using nice hardwoods but to be honest building it out of pine seemed more sensible so it ties in with the furniture in the room.

I took the photo just after I had cleaned it out completely and installed the silicone rock background so it looks pretty empty but is much healthier now. I hate plastic plants but I have 3 silver dollars that absolutely destroy live plants so the majority of my vegetation is now silk.. Softer material that doesn't hurt the fish and can't be eaten :)

It's a 4 foot tank, about 120 litres running an Eheim canister filter. They're so relaxing to watch, I love it!

Posted Image

#23 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Looks great!!!

Posted Image

#24 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Ok, I got 2 4foot tank but no water or fish, I keep lizards. If u want ill post pics of then and my set up

freeway.jpeg 

#25 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Hi,

Yes.

Cheers,
Nik

#26 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

ok guys, her is my set up, it has no water or fish but it has got lizards and is a tank set up.

Posted Image

i keep 3 lizards in the 2 tanks, x1 berided dragon and x2 blue'ies.

here is a pic of Turbo, little ***** got the name turbo cause of the way he moves, will sit there and do nothing and then just take off like he hit boost.

Posted ImagePosted Image

next up is my male blue.

Posted ImagePosted Image

and this is my female blue, she is checking out subyclub.com in this pic.

Posted Image

what do you all think?

cheers, ben.

freeway.jpeg 

#27 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Cool!

#28 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

Your tower is a lot like my old setup that I made with two 3ft's, I had to seperate my turtles years ago due to fighting. But I changed it to one big tank about a year ago. I will eventually have to move one on as they are getting too big to be together - they are both male, but one of them reaaally (really) likes the other... rape happens. They're just over 8 years old now.

I posted some pics of mine in GT the other day. Had fish in a little tank before these guys, and lots of little tanks growing up. Dad used to have a big tank too until he got sick of cleaning it.

Here are some pics.

Attached File  IMAG0205sml.jpg   131.1KB   0 downloads
Attached File  DSC01047sml.jpg   240.02KB   0 downloads
Attached File  DSC00926sml.jpg   152.32KB   0 downloads
Attached File  DSC00158sml.jpg   133.69KB   0 downloads
Attached File  DSC00875sml.jpg   220.73KB   0 downloads

#29 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

Beautiful turtles man! I was gonna get some too but fish was the easier option. It may be the next animal I decide to keep though. We'll see how we go.

@SSIKness666: That sucks SSIKness666. Sometimes shit like that happens that you cannot avoid. So sorry to hear that man.

Can't tell from the pics but is that background one of the old styrofoam ones?

Also I would go cardinals over neons for your other tank. They are quite a bit dearer but are a much more hardier fish and will grow to a larger size with a bit more colour. Cardinals have the same blue and red stripes.

I believe it's called CopiRock Foam from Aqua One. It's not a soft foam like a polystyrene sort of material, but isn't so hard that you can't cut through it. I used a handsaw to get through it but you could also use a blade for a cleaner and less dirty cut.

I have been recommended Cardinals over Neon Tetras actually. I was also told they grow to about 2-3 cm long (so still small), have similar colouration and live longer. Thanks for the tip mate.

@seanmau5: That looks amazing man! Great work! You should definitely be proud of that! How much do silk plants go for? I might invest in them instead of the plastic ones I have in my tank at the moment.

@ben_STi-wagon: Nice set up Ben. The lizards look awesome. We have a blue tongue living in our brick pallets at the front of our house and it looks like it has been attacked by a bird (most probably a magpie or crow) as one of its eyes has been poked out. Haven't seen it for a while now. Who would I call to pick it up? I haven't got anywhere to keep him. I believe you need a license to have them as well, no?

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#30 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

This thread is making me want to get my old tank out and have another go!

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#31 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

And that is exactly what you're gonna do isn't it? :P

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#32 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Damn! Some really nice setups in here. I miss mine, but after moving house 7 times in 9 years, it got pretty annoying pulling it down and building it back down again

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#33 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

And that is exactly what you're gonna do isn't it? :P

I'll think about it.

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#34 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

Don't think. Do.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#35 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Im thinking of selling my male bluey if anyone is keen pm me.

freeway.jpeg 

#36 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

Beautiful turtles man! I was gonna get some too but fish was the easier option. It may be the next animal I decide to keep though. We'll see how we go.

I got them because I got sick of fish dying, even with the best filtration/setup ever. I saw some on display once and then found a breeder, one thing led to the next - Turtle tank! Turtles are a long commitment, ~50 years in captivity. However I do know a lot more about filtration etc now... may get fish again when I get my own place. But I enjoy my turtles.

If you want to keep one in a tank and aren't too fussy on species, but want a short-neck. Look into Macleay as they get to about 20cm diameter - making them ideal for an indoor tank (4x2x2 or bigger). They are more pronge to skin infections but with the right setup they don't seem to be too much trouble. I could go into more detail on how to actually keep one but just visit the AFT forum. They can be a bit nuts there... but they mean well and have done a lot for captive turtles. Most pet shops have no idea! Contact a breeder, and check that forum, they have a good care guide.

Mine are a Krefft and a Murray. They're both 20cm SCL, the Krefft (native to QLD, sub-species of the Murray) has been known to get to 25-30cm, the Murray 30-35cm. There is no such thing as a penny turtle! When keeping turtles, think big! Big filtration, big tank. The other option is to build a pond outside, but then your house really starts looking like a visit to the zoo.

My cousin has been working on a Cylinder marine Aquarium... yet to see it in person but it looks impressive.

http://mycylindermar...logspot.com.au/

Posted Image

#37 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for all the info mate! Much appreciated. Will definitely take on the tips when I get around to getting turtles.

That cylinder marine aquarium is awesome. I'd love to get marine fish but there is so much more work involved... That purple fish looks tough.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#38 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

haha xbmc in the background?

Posted Image

#39 cre8ive

cre8ive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Do what you love and love what you do!

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

I had a 6x2x2.5 cichlid tank and a 4x2x2 marine tank, sold them with the last house, I love my cichlids always happy to see you , Haplachromis's are the best but stay away from Psuedotrophious as they are super vicious and watch your money go down the toilet, I do miss it  we had it built behind our Home theatre wall so you were either watching a movie or staring at the tank, i used to feed them once a week kept the aggression down payed big dollars on filtration so never really did to much if set up properly maybe a water change every 6 months, tank was loaded with limestone driftwood and quartz rock donated from my bro in  PT Hedland,Cost over $10000, and dont get me started on marine!!

"SLOW N LOW"

#40 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like you had an amazing set up! What specific types of fish did you keep in those tanks?

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users