Photo

crankshaft problem -mech diagnosed. :( help?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hey dudes; some of you may know that I bought Cams SG XT a couple months ago..
well a relatively bad thing has gone wrong.. came home to syd yesterday from jindabyne and upon reaching Cooma I noticed a strange ticking sound occasionally happening.. by sydney it had worsened..
Needed to head up to newcastle, so I took mums car..

Dad just spoke to me, mechanic said it's the crankshaft.. mentioned something about a 'big end' also. Heard the term before but not 100 on the meaning.

So, expensive fix.. anybody have any suggestions or valuable info or even hook ups.
I'm located in peakhurst, in sydney's south, near hurstville. I'm travelling back to jindy tomorrow though, not in the forester haha.. :(

(admin feel free to move topic if better suited elsewhere)

Cheers guys... dan

#2 peteRS

peteRS

Needs more cylinders...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

Sux dude...Big end bearing failure is terminal(motor out)...speak to the guys at Ichiban

#3 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

Yeahh, motor out is what he said :( whats the ball park figure on a reco? Over a grand I'm assuming!
Ichiban sounds like a good start, cheers :)

#4 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

SPeak to MSR about a rebuild ;)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#5 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

True... what's the legality behind that. I mean, are you suggesting there's a small amount of liability from his end...? Or just going and getting it.. of you get my jist haha?
Also, how much would a flatbed all the way from sydney up to msr :(

#6 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

That sucks, bro!

Hiring a car trailer would be a cheaper option.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#7 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

there are plenty of decent mechanics who will rebuild a EJ255 in sydney...

MY07 GT spec B

#8 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

If you need help sourcing an engine, parts or info just give me a bell mate.

Sucks :(

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#9 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Suggesting msr rebuild your engine. if you got alterternate transport, give diy a go :)

You could even save a bit of money by pulling the engine out yourself and taking it in somewhere

#10 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

buy a 2,5sti short motor from rising sun subaru and just put it in.

freeway.jpeg 

#11 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

I never got a chance (or kinda forgot as i was rushing around syd to see a couple cars.. bombs.. haha) to speak to any mechanics/tuners about costs...

So I need to know costs in order to make a decision ..What would be the approximate cost of:

a) Reconditioning the engine?

b )Ben's suggestion, 2.5sti short motor?

Other suggestions?

c) Are the cams upgradable?? Would be the time to do it... Cost?

More pressing, I have the options of:

a) Travelling back down to sydney via bus early tomorrow morning for about $100; while the fozzy is transported to a mechanic to get reco'd. Then coming back via bus again to pick up the fozz. (adds 200 on top of repair costs)

b )doing that and bumming it down there without a car.. coming back and putting in a new engine.

c) Buying a 96' Magna off one of dads mates for 1G and using that as transport, and continue using that when I come back from working at the snow at the end of septemeber (comes with risk of break down obvs)..    Back home I could pull out the engine myself and transport it to a mech to save money; or attempt to fix it myself. (Always wanted to have that experience under my belt...) And then sell the magna, probably for a loss but eh.

Also, where should I take it to get repaired/swapped.... MSR, Ichiban... others?

Anyone heard of "In Tune"... or "GoodShit" ?   had these suggested to me as options.. I think one of the two is in campbelltown...

So frustrated and dont know what to do hahahhaa :D

#12 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

stuff it, buying the magna haha.

All that's left to decide is what to do with the fozzy... see above :)

#13 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

id tow the foz to ichi or msr and bus it down and back. get a low km replacement

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#14 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

Would you happen to know an approx price for a replacement engine, Cam? (or others) For the engine itself, and the total fee of pro install?

#15 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

I would pick up a EJ257 short motor and get the boys at Ichiban to do it.

Ask them for a quote, I can't really speak for others when it comes to quoting.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#16 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Damn that sucks. Bottom end = $$$. Spun a bearing on the crank shaft more than likely. If you are mechanically minded, then you could possibly do 80% of the work yourself and save $$$ in the process, if not, then get a reputable company to fix it for a decent price.

If you get it fixed by a company, then you will have warranty, you will have peace of mind that its all reconditioned (whatever the issues are, they are now resolved). If you opt for an exchange 2nd hand engine, you don't know 100% if that engine will end up breaking down also. If you opt for an exchange reconditioned engine, you have more peace of mind, warranty, and you get your vehicle back sooner rather than later. Engine rebuilds take time.

Few variables to note through I guess, just do what you think is best and what you can afford to do at the present moment.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX
3" TBE - Lightened Fly Wheel - Heavy Duty Clutch - Pedders Lowered Springs - Colour Coded Side-Skirts - 18" Rims

Autronic ECU - Tinted Windows - Multipoint Immobilizer - Multizone Alarm - Turbo Timer - Strut Bars

#17 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

What do you want out of the car?

Posted Image

#18 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

yer as adam just said, what do u want? when i poped my sti motor i went all out on a closed deck 2lt and am going for 250+ kw atw from a 2lt
so far to build the bottom end and work the sti heads im up to 8k but if i was paying a shop it would be around 15k+

freeway.jpeg 

#19 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

kris at rising sun suby had a few 08 STI complete engines a few weeks back, dunno if you could use one of them? 

you could even get a bare long motor and use your own manifold exhuast/turbo etc. thatd be an easy fix

Just for an example when i replaced the engine in my RS lib the other week, the local wrecker wanted $1950 for the 'complete' motor with the turbo, i said i dont need the turbo or manifold or headers or flywheel etc and they did me the motor for $1100,Looks a bit daunting swapping manifold over at first, but once you done it you realise it isnt that bad :)

#20 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

Cheapest fix - Buy secondhand long or complete motor (has to be similar if not the same year and model to make sure cam/crank wheels are the same, otherwise just change them over). Did that to my B4 the second time. Got away with it for approx 2500 bucks. Lots of effort, did it all myself bar tuning and changing of aforementioned cam/crank wheels. Took approx a month, and learnt so much about the car.

Another option is to rebuild the bottom end with forged etc. This gets expensive. Very. Depends what you want to go for as to how much it rapes your wallet.

Then there is the stock rebuild. The first motor I blew in the B4 I went down this road. New 207 short motor (at the time, costing 3300 on its own, prices have come down to approx 3 flat now i think). With labour and all parts etc, cost me $8020. That was drive in, drive out. Took a week for them to do it, and the first day I got it back had to do 1000km and then have it serviced. No tuning, just the rebuild.

Bottom ends are expensive fixes. Take your pick of your options. There are pros and cons of all three options.

Hope you sort it!

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users