#81 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Width also varies dependant on tyre spec and design.

Eg, Bridgestone Ecopia 215/45/17 are physically 10mm narrower than Bridgestone S002 215/45/17.

OEM+

#82 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hey guys. I have a wheel alignment question.

Paid for a wheel balance and alignment recently.

Balance is fine but steering wheel is noticeably right when driving straight down local roads and the motorway..my steering was crooked right previously but after the alignment it seemed to be a little worse.

Took the car back for a 2nd alignment and now the steering is turned to the left when driving straight.

is there a problem with my suspension or do I need to find a different shop and alignment technician?

#83 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

Have you had the steering wheel off at all? It can be tricky to get back on straight so I'd be checking that first

tIeW8DE.png

#84 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

I haven't done anything to the steering wheel. It's a factory B4 momo wheel.

For the last year ive had a slightly crooked steering wheel...I was hoping the alignment technician would have centered it but it's now worse. :S

#85 Beejay667

Beejay667

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

That generally happens if the car has needed an alignment and the toe has been altered, just straighten your wheel and carry on.

#86 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

What do you mean "just straighten my wheel?"
the steering wheel is currently tilted left when driving straight..

#87 Beejay667

Beejay667

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

Choose a nice flat driveway, remove steering wheel centre, crack nut and loosen steering wheel, (do not fully remove the nut and then proceed to yank on the steering wheel and knock out 3 teeth), drive forward and backwards a metre or so to get the wheels straight (don't just go off them looking flush with the wheel arch), remove loose steering wheel, hope that the splines line up perfectly and put the wheel on straight... do some more paces before tightening the nut to ensure it is straight.

It's generally not something you get your wheel aligner to do, because it doesn't effect the alignment, but you could ask them if they would be willing to adjust the wheel next time you get an alignment, otherwise find a mechanic who will do it for you.

#88 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

That's more of a band aid fix.

tIeW8DE.png

#89 Beejay667

Beejay667

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

Its not a band-aid, when the tie-rods are wound in or out to correct the toe in/out in the front end it won't always come back to centre. it's not like you are moving the steering wheel half a rotation, its just 1 or 2 teeth in most cases.

It may also depend on the person doing the alignment, there is a bar that is wedged between the steering wheel and seat to keep the steering wheel centre, but not to say that everyone uses it.

If the wheel is not secured at 12 o'clock then it wont be straight after the alignment.

#90 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

It depends if the alignment is out. If it is adjusting the wheel to counter the bad alignment is a band aid. I'd be getting it looked at by a different place first

tIeW8DE.png

#91 Beejay667

Beejay667

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

Could come down to someone previously adjusting the wheel position to account for the alignment and then when it is realigned it is off centre again. I guess you could go from lock to lock and mark where the centre of the steering rack is compared to your wheels and steering wheels.

If what I suggested is considered a band-aid by some, it's not exactly a 'it will do for now but be careful' fix, it won't cause any harm.

There may also be a level of frustration and overthinking leading to muddling some shit up on my behalf.

#92 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

Three things to consider, IMHO.

1. steering rack centered ? ie: 'neutral' power assist position ?

2. steering wheel centered when rack is centered (1) ?

3. if so, crack the tie rod ends and adjust in opposite directions, the same number of turns, until wheels straight.

Just moving the wheel a notch or two risks having the wheel centered with the rack out of whack.

#93 Kyle j

Kyle j

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:06 PM

Need advise. Got a 04 gen 4 Liberty looking at putting larger and wider rims and tyres. Currently have 215/45/17 if i want to go to 245/45/18s or similar will i need to roll the guards 

#94 RXJezza

RXJezza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

Need advise. Got a 04 gen 4 Liberty looking at putting larger and wider rims and tyres. Currently have 215/45/17 if i want to go to 245/45/18s or similar will i need to roll the guards 

245/40/18 would be a better option or even 245/35 but that's not a very common size. Either way your guards will need to be rolled

#95 Kyle j

Kyle j

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:16 PM

245/40/18 would be a better option or even 245/35 but that's not a very common size. Either way your guards will need to be rolled

Thank you. Now to convince my brother to roll the guards for me. will i need to do front as well

#96 Grahama

Grahama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

Do you need to keep it legal? ie: speedo accuracy. If so, rolling diameter of the tyre has to be within 15mm of factory (in NSW)

If 215/45/17 is the correct factory tyre (diameter 625mm) , and you want to go 245 18s, you'll want 245/35/18 (629mm).

A 245/45/18 is 678mm which will put your speedo out by about 8%. So cruising at 100kph on the speedo might be an actual 108 (depending on how far out the speedo is from factory, they often ready 2% fast).

#97 Kyle j

Kyle j

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:06 PM

Do you need to keep it legal? ie: speedo accuracy. If so, rolling diameter of the tyre has to be within 15mm of factory (in NSW)

If 215/45/17 is the correct factory tyre (diameter 625mm) , and you want to go 245 18s, you'll want 245/35/18 (629mm).

A 245/45/18 is 678mm which will put your speedo out by about 8%. So cruising at 100kph on the speedo might be an actual 108 (depending on how far out the speedo is from factory, they often ready 2% fast).

Probably should keep it legal as we know what its like in NSW. ill go for 245/35/18 then. thanks.

Now to decide if to do coilovers or lowered springs and shocks 

#98 armoured72

armoured72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

will standard 96 forester rims go onto 96 liberty wagon, or the offset is not the same as i suspect? Tyres are as new on wrecked forester is why i ask.

#99 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:36 AM

Your liberty factory offset is ET55 and your foz wheels will be ET48, so the foz wheels will poke out about 13mm, which should be fine.

Check www.willtheyfit.com

#100 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:50 AM

Wheels will fit fine. Just make sure you have Liberty spec tyres on them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IM47Gcv.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users