• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:spending all the coin on the rex

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

howdy fellow ear drum abusing cronies 

so im going to put these speakers in my 02 rx liberty

fronts - http://www.elite-ele...rs#.UixvLsZTaPo

rears - http://www.elite-ele...rs#.UixvRsZTaPo

i was thinking about putting a JBL GTO1004 to power these speakers, am i making the right decision going with that amp? what amp would you use? 

cheers 

luke

#2 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

Polk are a nice speaker, personally I would choose something from the MM range.

Just remember that everyone is different and can prefer the sound of other products, so it's hard to make an accurate choice. Have you listened to these speakers? Or any others?

Probably the most important this even before this is sound deadening...Stinger Roadkill, Dynamat......whatever your choice, this makes a huge difference to any install

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#3 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

nah i haven't actually heard em, haven't even seen this speaker in the flesh haha, my old music teacher said they were'nt a bad speaker, i like the DB series cause there a bit cheaper lol, dynamat cost a fortune, isn't there cheaper ways to sound deadening, iv seen people use magnets lol, to double sided 3m tape behind there number plate

anyone have experience with MB Quart, i read they use to be owned by germans, but now the same people that make hifonics own em, it looks like a solid amp?

#4 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

I use this stuff: http://bigauto.com.a...-95-sq-mtr-pack

Dynamat is a bit of a rort.

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#5 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Dynamat is cheaper than that stuff from ryda :P

http://www.ryda.com....ault.aspx#P1361

Posted Image

#6 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

+1 to sound deadening will make the most difference. Just the same as even the best speaker will sound terrible in a bad room.

I've used Fatmat which is available on ebay.

#7 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

+1 to sound deadening will make the most difference. Just the same as even the best speaker will sound terrible in a bad room.

I've used Fatmat which is available on ebay.

that stuff looks alright, decent price to, how much would i need for my liberty? and im guessing i just do the doors and boot?

#8 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Use sound deadener on the doors, etc, then most speakers will sound good.

For sound deadening you could try the good stuff or the cheap stuff. Considering you want to put Polk Audio speakers in... go for the good stuff. :)

As for an amplifier... something around the range of 400W RMS 4 channel will do the job nicely. Or you could run 2 amps of 200W RMS each, 1 for the front, 1 for the rear... then there is always sub woofer(s)?

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX
3" TBE - Lightened Fly Wheel - Heavy Duty Clutch - Pedders Lowered Springs - Colour Coded Side-Skirts - 18" Rims

Autronic ECU - Tinted Windows - Multipoint Immobilizer - Multizone Alarm - Turbo Timer - Strut Bars

#9 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

It really depends on how much you want to apply. You don't need 100% coverage but I wanted to. You can also put it on just the inside skin of the door or both inner and outer skins.

I bought a 12.5sq ft pack and did 2 doors with a bit left over. You could easily use up 50sq ft on a whole car though.

#10 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

Depends on how fussy you are about your audio.

If you go to the effort of purchasing high-end speakers (in this case Polk Audio), then go to the effort of doing a great audio install also.

Sound proof the doors with FatMat, inner and outer, use an amplifier power wiring kit... and seeing OP wants to run amp(s) for his speakers, go with a 4 gauge power kit. Use some OFC speaker wiring and you're pretty much set.

Later on then you have room to expand with... capacitor, power splitter, amplifier for sub, sub woofer(s), etc.

No use putting $300 speakers in the doors with a powerful amp behind them and no sound proofing... they will probably sound rather bad (hollow/tinny), and rattle like hell.

Do a proper install the first time, you won't be disappointed later.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX
3" TBE - Lightened Fly Wheel - Heavy Duty Clutch - Pedders Lowered Springs - Colour Coded Side-Skirts - 18" Rims

Autronic ECU - Tinted Windows - Multipoint Immobilizer - Multizone Alarm - Turbo Timer - Strut Bars

#11 Weso

Weso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Gym, Subies and taking things apart

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

what are peoples opinion of rockford fosgate? they up there or a decent middle range?

IMG 5427

574914 10151465982585789 1986020689 N
Subaru Fans, always willing to go the extra mile ;)

#12 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

yea my whole install is this 

SUB:

http://www.elite-ele...osure_Subwoofer

http://www.elite-ele...it#.Ui2J18ZTaPo

http://www.soundmast...mplifier/PA880/

the door speakers which i have already shown, 

ill have a nexus tablet in the dash and wire that to this thing 

http://www.elite-ele...er#.Ui2KbcZTaPo

then that to the amp etc. 

i think ill fatmat most of the car, thanks for showing me that stuff, got any opinions on my sub layout or the install in general, really want to do this thing right the first time :)

#13 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'd personally go for Dynamat or FatMat. Do it once, do it right is the motto around here.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#14 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Sub install, depends on if you want the custom boxes tucked in the quarter panel corners, whether you want to run one sub or two... or more...

I have 2 of 12" wedge shaped sub boxes side-by-side, rear facing in my boot, with aluminum cone, reversed sub woofers... so the chrome chassis smacks you in the face when you pop the boot. I don't have a pic atm, but can get one if you want to see what I'm trying to explain. They fit nice side by side, minimal gap on each end, and they are butted up together.

FatMat most of the car = best choice IMO, grab that 50sq metre pack, do your doors and boot... and if you are real fussy, pull the seats and carpet out and drop some on the floor also.

So no head unit per se... you run tablet -> EQ -> amp -> speakers. Interesting.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX

#15 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

is that a bad way of running it ? lol or is it just interesting?, i like the EQ cause its gives me a physical volumn knob, bass knob etc. so i can turn it up or down quick, also makes it a plug and play scenario which i like. im guessing ill have to run remote wires from the amp to the ignition barrel? 

#16 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

If you go to the effort of purchasing high-end speakers (in this case Polk Audio), 

I wouldn't call Polk 'high end'.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#17 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

is that a bad way of running it ? lol or is it just interesting?, i like the EQ cause its gives me a physical volume knob, bass knob etc. so i can turn it up or down quick, also makes it a plug and play scenario which i like. im guessing ill have to run remote wires from the amp to the ignition barrel? 

Not a bad way of running it at all.

Was just interesting that you don't run any head unit at all, just run the tablet. EQ's do come in handy, but most decks (or even tablets) have their own decent EQ built in. I use to run an EQ in my Cortina back in the 90's... didn't think anyone ran stand alone EQ's any more. I assume you run a stereo 2.5mm plug to RCA (L/R) to the EQ then. I still have my 12 band EQ laying around somewhere too... it even has a pre amp.

Remote wire for the amp to power up from auxiliary ignition, yes, as you only want the amplifiers powered up when you have your ignition on (blue wire).

Audio installations are pretty straight forward, wiring wise... it's getting them ran in the correct places that can be a pita (through door opening wiring looms).

*EDIT, polk audio is at the higher end of the scale, in saying that... you can get decent sound from cheaper speakers too (sony/kenwood/pioneer), it all depends on your setup. Not everyone can afford $500 a pair speakers, nor warrant spending that much either.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX

#18 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

yea pretty much, 3.5mm to RCA into the EQ, thanks for the info on what wire it is, much appreciated :)

ill be sure to post pics and make somewhat of a build thread when i get all the gear

I read a bad fat mat review saying its asphalt based or some shit, and that it peels off : / mind you this was posted in 2010 so im just wondering if this stuff is worth it or is just a waste of money and will peel off down the track?

bought some deadener by a company called car builders 

http://www.ebay.com....7bc0a90d&_uhb=1

this should at least cover all 4 doors of the liberty, then when i do the sub ill think about the boot then 

Edited by TittySprinklezLiberty, 10 September 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#19 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

Car Builders sound deadner ey, yeh I saw them on ebay also when I did my searches, let me know the quality of it, etc... pics too if possible, as I shall be doing the same to my vehicle soon enough.

FatMat is the same butyl compound as Car Builders by the way. Not sure on the thickness differences, or temperature rating differences, but I assume they are rather similar.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX

#20 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

Car Builders sound deadner ey, yeh I saw them on ebay also when I did my searches, let me know the quality of it, etc... pics too if possible, as I shall be doing the same to my vehicle soon enough.

FatMat is the same butyl compound as Car Builders by the way. Not sure on the thickness differences, or temperature rating differences, but I assume they are rather similar.

-______- are you forking kidding me, i kept reading that FatMat was a asphalt based deadener and that it smells like a tar road on a hot day (00) 

would i be able to power the speakers with a 50wrms amp? the comps are 100wrms and the rears will be 60 i believe, is this under powering them to much? 

ill be sure to post pics of this deadener to for you, ill take unboxing pics 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users