26 replies to this topic

#1 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Hi all. Really stumped on this one..

On sunday, i filled up with caltex 98 at 9:30am. At approx 2pm, the car spluttered to a halt after turnig right on a roundabout. Sat there with the engine cranking with no result.

Had a mate come help out, we pulled the fuel filter (which was filthy) and found the fuel in the tank to be of a brown colour rather than the light purple that 98 should be.

Managed to crawl home with no filter installed albeit with the engine coughing and spluttering and with absolutely no power taking off.

I've since put a clean filter in.

Now, when i start the car up, it cranks for 3-4 sexonds before coughing into a spluttery, coughy, missy type of idle below 1000 rpm but smooth above 1500. When I attempt to rev it a little, the engine coughs then revs up again, coming to rest on 1500 rpm smoothly but slowly dropping into the previously mentioned rough idle, which then corrects itself as ot revs back up to 1500rpm.

Now for the actual question.

Does this sound like a fuel pressure issue or a bad fuel issue?

If theres any other questions i can answer to help qith this, let me know. Would really like to fix this up asap...

1994 Mitsubishi Magna | 1992 BMW 325i | 2001 Subaru Liberty B4

Posted Image

#2 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

The tank will need to be drained at the least, i would be pulling the fuel pump out and checking the sock for blockages.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and see what the pump is outputting once reinstalled.

Hopefully no damage was done to the fuel system by having no fuel filter on

#3 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Mate that fuel was pretty messed up and with no filter in place I'd be thinking the fuel injectors would have copped a hell of a lot of crap.

Blocked up baskets? 

#4 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

What fuel filter did you get? Genuine, ryco or something else?

#5 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

Got a ryco filter.

Yea fuel was properly brown...but i dont understand why its a polar oposite to what i was experiencing sunday.

Sunday (no filter)- idled fine, wouldnt rev.
Monday (filter)- wont idle, but revs

Posted Image

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Get the injectors cleaned and flow tested. May have an issue there, and flow testing isnt all that expensive once the injectors are out.

The other thing to do (after the tank has been emptied and cleaned out) might be plug another hose into the fuel supply line in the engine bay and run it to a large bucket with a lid on it (lid to stop the splash back) just to clean out the lines.

Certainly an issue there. Sounds like you got a bunch of crap with your fuel in the morning.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#7 Mitch.

Mitch.

Fart Smuggler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:Surfin' Da Web

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

that fuel was pretty brown, this might be a dumb question but your not still running that fuel in the tank now are you? 

#8 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Not a dumb question. Yes im still running the fuel that i hsd no problem with for four hours on sunday...

Posted Image

#9 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

Fuel quality seems to be out the window atm. I've just had a terrible experience myself. We're wondering if the MAF might be dirty on mine too though.. next thing we're going to check. Sensors and vac leaks. But I'm probably up for a tune because of it. Tried injector cleaner?

#10 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:00 AM

This might be considered overkill, but consider removing the fuel tank itself from the car, putting 5L of fuel in it and slosh it around manually. You may need 2 people to get this done, but will should gather all the crap in the tank and put it in suspension with the fuel. Drain it out (and tilt the tank to the drain point too) and repeat until the fuel comes out as clean as it went in. Dont use a different solvent like kerosene as there will be a residual left that may tarnish the first batch of fuel you put into it.

I know its a fair bit of work to get the tank out, but given the fuel came out brown, I'd be cleaning EVERYTHING.

A bad batch of fuel can cause major problems, I know of an XR6T where I am got a tank of fuel contaminated with some sand. Scratch one motor.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#11 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:41 AM

Something that twigged my curiousity in your first post too. Premium unleaded fuels should NOT be purple in colour. They should be yellow. Both BP and Caltex 95/98 fuels are yellow as stated on their respective MSDS. If you have had a batch of purple fuel out of a premium pump, they are giving you regular 91 (or worse, ethanol blended) and charging you for 95/98. Big no-no, lawsuit material.

Should be mentioned that Aussie fuels will be changing colour this year (commenced late last year).

91 unleaded (no ethanol) - Purple/Bronze fuels will be phased out over this year, being replaced with a red/orange colour.

Premium unleaded (All brands, law requirements) will remain unchanged - Yellow.

BP E10 fuels are Purple. (Most aussie ethanol based fuels are now purple, although maybe not E85, I havent checked that one)

BP Diesel is clear (well, undyed)

BP Racing 100 is Green

BP Kerosene is a light blue

Keep an eye out on what colour you are getting. I cant be bothered pulling out all the relevant colours for every company as it involves going into the MSDS for each fuel. BP has their colours nicely listed on their website.

But yes, check that colour man, if they sold you the wrong fuel, and it can be proven, they can have the book thrown at them.

#12 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

Wow, i had no idea rhat pulp was supposed to be yellow! Always thiught all fuel was purple. The more you know!

Ill get some fuel out of the tank and post a pic. Aswell as a video of exactly what its doing.

Ill also test fuel pressure and get back to you.

Tha ks for all your help guys.

Posted Image

#13 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hey guys, bought the gauge. Can anyone tell me what the pressure should be?

Posted Image

#14 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

bout 200 KPA would be healthy

#15 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

Right.. thanks!

200kpa = 29psi

I always thought it was more than that.

I'll test pre- fpr and after fpr to find out whether its just the fpr playing up...

Posted Image

#16 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

Anything lower than that you may have a problem, anything over by a small amount is fine.

#17 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hi all. Checked pre- fpr pressures and found that when it primes, it gets about 18 psi. When its idling nicely (1500rpm) it holds about 18psi.

However, the psi suddenly drops to around 6 or 7 psi. It starts to idle rough as guts and wont rev etc.

Then randomly, fuel pressure will rise up to 18 psi and the car will idle at 1500rpm again. Theres a video coming where you can hear the wngine almost stalling aswell as what the pressure gauge is doing. Its about 70secs long and is being uploaded as we speak via photibucket.

I'm thinking its the fuel pump, but why would it suddenly and randomly drop pressure like that?

Posted Image

#18 Murf B4

Murf B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

throw that intank filter asfar away from the car as you can- head into a wrecker and get the bracket for an under bonnet filter and replace in with a repco WRX/FOZ black filter -

18psi not enough bruz - fuel pumps Farked - Discount Auto Warehouse are selling deatswerks kits for 180ish 300lph pump awesome!!! -

38-40psi u need up the front -

MY02 LIBERTY B4 - LAST DYNO'D @ 375.4KW-ATW    403.5KW-ATW

Next Dyno will be 400+ :)

#19 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

I'm thinking its the fuel pump, but why would it suddenly and randomly drop pressure like that?

Because it is a dying fuel pump.

Not an uncommon thing - easy job to change it over at least which is good.

#20 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

Didn't you change it recently?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users