26 replies to this topic

#21 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hey guys. Just changed the pump.

Still havingthe same problem where the pressure drops randomly...

Is there something that regulates amperage to the fuel pump?

1994 Mitsubishi Magna | 1992 BMW 325i | 2001 Subaru Liberty B4

Posted Image

#22 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

Yes, the fuel pump controller. It was the part that failed in my car recently. You may also have a bad connection somewhere along the line... Mine was dropping voltage between modes apparently, enough for the ECU to cut the motor, the car did throw a CEL though specifying that as the failure. It's designed to go 33%, 66% and 100% on acceleration - apparently, I don't know exact details.

#23 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

Well im pretty sure ive fixed the problem.

Safe to say im sick of this car making me feel like a complete idiot. Ive rebuilt plenty of engines in my short time, and this subaru keeps stumping me on STUPID crap.

When i pulled the fuel pump out at the original breakdown point, the filter housing was damaged (one of the mounting points had cracked almost completely off), and the filter seal was hanging out the side. When we attempted to refit, it seemed not to fit properly, so we assumed it was the wrong one.

This whole thime i was trying to run the car without the fuel filter housing o-ring, which meant that all this fuel was being pressureised into the filter housing, but then leaking back into the tank.

Now with seal in place, car sits on 42psi on startup and 38psi on idle.

Durrrrr

Posted Image

#24 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Seems like such a small fix! It's the simplest of things that tend to make or break your car. Glad it's all working now though man. I know it must be embarrassing or whatever but don't worry about it. It'll happen to quite a few people here and there. It even happened to BlackTop on the HVC.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#25 99REXI

99REXI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

Just wanted to add I had a similar problem with my Subaru last Wednesday, (still not fixed).

I have commenced draining the fuel tank, replacing the fuel pump and filters, I have been told that due to the rain there must have been water in the fuel or I had dirty fuel but I am not sure.

My car starts but will only idle for 2-3 seconds then stalls, if I apply throttle it stalls, it has spark and fuel so I am hoping cleaning the tank and replacing these filters helps, I can show pictures if you like

#26 yannsB4

yannsB4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

Put some fuel in a glass. If you can see bubbles or droplets in the bottom theres water in the fuel. Post up pics, might be good for someone in the future

Posted Image

#27 99REXI

99REXI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

the fuel on the right is the fuel coming from the fuel line into the fuel filter, the fuel on the left is what came out of the filter and line from the filter onwards once removed.

IMG_0952_zpsb111b138.jpg

This photograph shows the debris/droplets in the bottom of the fuel

IMG_0953_zps8ac56819.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users